Who knows about the new TV extras

A dongle is a hardware authentication device or hardware key. It doesn't refer to [-]anything[/-] everything that plugs into your computer. A flash drive is not a dongle.

If your (or anyone's) wireless mouse uses a dongle then there is some sort of authentication between your mouse and your computer. Imagine a room full of wireless mouse driven computers and the problems involved with all of the different commands being sent. The dongle (in that case) resolves (and authenticates) that it will only follow commands from your mouse in your computer.

Maybe you meant to say this... because they actually do connect to the computer...

from wiki "A dongle is a small piece of hardware that connects to a laptop or desktop computer for the purpose of copy protection or authentication of software to be used on that system.[1]"

But... we digress....

With the right (and, I might add, abundant) equipment, I find it easy but... not simple.

How have you done it?

:confused:

Two cords is abundant?

For the Macbook, I plug in the mini-dvi to S cord, plug in the sound cord, and then switch the display. That's it.

The PC laptop is the same but the video cord cost $10 less.

That's one of the reasons why I don't have time for DVD's!! Too interested in the books I've been reading, and in other interests I have been pursuing in retirement. :D And to me, tying up my Wii (which has so many active/reactive entertainment options) with more passive entertainment options is a waste of its potential.

Anybody with a Venza, a Kindle and a Wii is not a fuddy duddy! ;)

BTW I don't have any of the above. I have a Blackberry, a 7 year old Toshiba laptop, a 13 year old 32" Panasonic TV (the big box kind) and a 15 year old Honda. I still have a turntable and some of my favourite LPs, although I admit I haven't played them for years. Oh, and I read books. You know, the ones with paper....

:confused:

Two cords is abundant?

For the Macbook, I plug in the mini-dvi to S cord, plug in the sound cord, and then switch the display. That's it.

The PC laptop is the same but the video cord cost $10 less.

Okay. I give up. I believe you. Where do you get the TV signal from?

I use a dual SiliconDust tuner and SageTV software. Easy to hook it all up but not that simple... what with (for instance) Multi-channel receivers and all. Of course, I get my TV OTA; other sources may, in fact, be a two cord connect, I don't know.

I think the correct term for what the OP observed was a doohickey. Because dongle has a specific purpose.

Back
Top Bottom