Why do people online think I'm a guy?

I had to log off, else wouldn't get anything done. But I am back now.

I just think you should sell that vacation house and RV (and boat if you have one), kick back with all that money, and retire before you get too old! :2funny:
Selling the RV after only one trip? Gee, you really want me to sit in a rocking chair, waiting to die? That small motor home is the last thing I am going to sell, because it is going to be my dwelling of last resort. A prudent guy must have a back up plan.

And what money? Didn't you see the recent thread about 2.1% SWR going forward? And that about SS going to be means tested? Without that RV, how am I going to be living in the mountains of New Mexico?

I've been mistaken online for a female. I assume it's because I prefer low stress arguement free posting, don't care about sports, and do appreciate old rugs, Molas, Kuba cloth, various pottery, and such like.
I never thought of you as a woman. By the way, we have the low-stress posting and the indifference of sports in common. But about the rugs, cloth, and pottery stuff, I dunno... So, perhaps you are more feminine than I am. ;)

Personally, I would always prefer to know whether I am speaking to a man or a woman.

Same as you, I like to know the gender and age of the poster that I make a reply to. I also like to tease and taunt people, and knowing a bit about them makes it easier. :)

After reading these posts I have decided to indicate my gender under "User CP" in order to avoid any confusion...

Kyounge, I've known you are a female for quite a while, but my original impression was male. I think Rich nailed it for me, it was the name format. It just looked like a male screen name to me, for whatever reason. And the cookies weren't the giveaway you might have thought. Everybody (except the occasional mutant) loves chocolate chip cookies.

Also, and completely out of your control, I used to have a good friend named Kevin Young. I think that was what started me out thinking you were male.

A little OT, but a former co-w*rker found a toenail clipping under her desk during her first week on the job and told me it looked like a male toenail. At least she thought it was a toenail. I didn't ask how she could tell it came from a male. The previous occupant of that space was indeed male, but she was probably told that.

This conversation came after I noticed her nice new speakerphone -- in an era when people at that place in our grade did not normally get speakerphones. There was mention of taking a support call, having to rest the phone on her shoulder while she operated the keyboard, then something about an earring that popped off and the hands and knees search . . .

Not making this up -- this really happened. :whistle:
So maybe some people can tell with just the subtlest of clues?

After reading these posts I have decided to indicate my gender under "User CP" in order to avoid any confusion...

Maybe I don't know where to look, but under profile you have nothing. And your gender is not clear to me- often ob-gyns are women, but not always.

Ha

Maybe I don't know where to look, but under profile you have nothing. And your gender is not clear to me- often ob-gyns are women, but not always.

Ha

In OBGYN's profile, click the About Me tab.

haha, I never knew your name is Mikey. I saw that in your old posts in the gold topic that Martha linked.

I see the problem. Folks can hide lots of info in their profile info in Profile Privacy.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 10
Hope your avatar doesn't mean you're like this Nords...
On my submarines we used to refer to those as "wardroom planning meetings".

On our FITREPs that behavior would be described as "a forceful and outspoken leader who makes the most of every opportunity". I'm pretty sure that's a good thing-- at least that's what my XO told me.

Maybe I don't know where to look, ...

Ha

haha, if you don't know where to look to determine someone's gender, I'm going to have to re-read a bunch of your posts in a whole new light! :eek:

PM if you need a clue :whistle:

-ERD50

You can see a person's gender (well, what they say they are) if you go to the Community tab, then choose Members list. Type in the name and it will show you some info (including gender) on the page. :)

(snip) Why is this disconcerting? Do you sense it's made a difference in your interractions with others on the forum?
Why is this important to you?

To paraphrase MLK:
A posts should be judged by the quality and content of the post, not the sex of the poster.
I think it was because I couldn't figure out what I was doing that could create an impression of maleness. I was mistaken once for a man in person, but there wasn't anything mysterious about it. It was when I was on the land surveying crew, and at the time I was wearing a puffy jacket, hard hat, safety vest, steel-toed shoes & a decidedly mannish short haircut—and the person who made the mistake was coming from behind me. I know why that person got it wrong, but I couldn't figure out why people online were.

I didn't think anyone was treating my comments differently because of this mixup—it was just that I couldn't explain it.

Another theory, totally baseless: your board name feels like a first initial and last name, like JSmith1949. I haven't "met" many women using that format yet quite a few men seem to do so by convention. In fact, my own "fast signature" -- the one I use to sign on scores of paperwork daily, was in effect "RTampa."

Maybe that format "seemed" male to many members.

Heck, I don't have a clue. But if it bothers you, lots of good suggestions above.

Kyounge, I've known you are a female for quite a while, but my original impression was male. I think Rich nailed it for me, it was the name format. It just looked like a male screen name to me, for whatever reason. And the cookies weren't the giveaway you might have thought. Everybody (except the occasional mutant) loves chocolate chip cookies. (snip)
That is an interesting idea. In fact, my board name is my first initial and surname. I've used it many places since my very beginnings online, because other people online used similar names. I had no idea that it was a "male" format.

"Why do people online think I'm a guy?"

I guess they aren't paying attention? I have always thought of you as a woman, if that makes you feel any better. Absolutely, unequivocably female, an outspoken woman with strong and interesting opinions.

In contrast, I thought that both CuppaJoe and Khan were men, at first, when really they are women as well. It is sometimes difficult to tell, online, especially when a woman is confident and secure in her own identity and also primarily discusses topics other than lingerie, cooking, pets, and bacon, for example.
That's only my online persona. I person I'm a mealy-mouthed milquetoast.

Hello Ha - Under "User CP", "Your profile", "Edit your details", I selected my gender.

Not sure why it's not showing when you click on it, Ha, but I can see the change under "About me" now... Maybe we have to wait some time for the server to save the data, I don't know (again I am not a computer expert). :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom