Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Definitely don't get a razor-like shave from an electric
LOL...so much for Victor Kiam's "As close as a blade...or your money back!" slogan.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=ERD50;1322721]Because that is what people will pay.

Why people pay so much, I have no idea. How about < 10 cents per blade? Is that 'so much'?

Amazon.com: 100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades: Beauty

Me too, got a new order of Astra's sitting in the cabinet. I'd throw in a few Personna blades along the way just as fun. I just can't see myself paying to use 3 to 5 blades.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Today's version is computer printers. I recently recycled a fairly new printer because it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a cartridge for the older one.
Well, the printer example has been going on for 15+ years.

Today's example is the single-serving coffee pod. In fact in investor presentations they refer to the razor/razor blade model as their model.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #24

The last few times I had to buy a printer I looked on eBay or gone to computer fairs to see what OEM printer cartridges for the printer model were selling for. In may cases they are a fraction of the cost of manufacturer cartridges. I have used these type of cartridges for 10+ years and never had a problem.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you soak the razor blade in a small cup of baby oil it will last much longer
Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

You can raise the edge on razor blades by stropping them on a pair of jeans. In my experience it doubles the useful life.

As explained in this video:

Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have question which could find an answer to via google are at least one i believed.
Why do razor blades get dull?

I thought most razor blades are made of stainless steel,which is highly resistant to corrosion from water. So I am skeptical when people claim that water is what causes razor blades to get dull.

My skins is pretty soft and my whiskers aren't particular tough and lot softer than steel. Anybody want to explain the physics involved?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I have question which could find an answer to via google are at least one i believed.

I thought most razor blades are made of stainless steel,which is highly resistant to corrosion from water. So I am skeptical when people claim that water is what causes razor blades to get dull.

My skins is pretty soft and my whiskers aren't particular tough and lot softer than steel. Anybody want to explain the physics involved?
I'm no physicist, and don't play one on cable...

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned "stropping" the razor using a pair of jeans. I assume this is akin to the leather strap barbers use, and the ceramic honing "steel" used in the kitchen. It's not for sharpening, per se, but for realigning the edge. Likely there's a cleaning and polishing effect as well.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried the stropping on jeans thing a while back and noticed no change.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I stay with name brands, I have tried to go cheap with CVS knockoffs, with out success.

Cut myself so bad, I had to tell the coworkers, I did not think life was worth living this AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Razor blades, and in fact all types of blades, get dull in two ways:

1. the edge, which is very thin, curls over very slightly from use, away from the direction the blade is designed to cut in. This curling over can be corrected by stropping the blade. A barberr strops his razor with a leather belt while a butcher uses a "steel," i.e. a hardened steel rod. The effect in both cases is the same, if cone correctly: the strop "sets up" the edge of the blade, i.e. restores it to a straight edge again, and then it cuts again.

2. After much use the edge becomes pitted due to wear and/or corrosion. Even stainless blades are subject to pitting. Once the blad becomes pitted, stropping will not be sufficient to restore the edge and it will have to be ground using some form of stone.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

With so much square footage to shave (legs) I have to agree with spending more for name brand blades (I prefer the 5-bladed kind). Sure I can wear jeans on the days when I've chewed up the backs of my knees, but on hot summer days that's really a punishment.

I've also tried depilatories. They take a long time to apply, etc. when it's a matter of legs, but I should think they'd render a man's face hair-free in a jiffy. And the effect lasts longer. Mr. A. says men don't use depilatories on their faces, but can't really explain why...sounds like it's a matter of custom ("men don't do that"), rather than practical issues with the method? Just curious.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna5354 View Post
I stay with name brands, I have tried to go cheap with CVS knockoffs, with out success.

Cut myself so bad, I had to tell the coworkers, I did not think life was worth living this AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #33

Quote:

It's stain less steel, not stain proof steel. I won't convince you, but buy a microscope and alternate every day between a razor that you rinse and dry vs just leave wet. You will prove it to yourself.