Why do razor blades cost so much?

I have question which could find an answer to via google are at least one i believed.
Why do razor blades get dull?

I thought most razor blades are made of stainless steel,which is highly resistant to corrosion from water. So I am skeptical when people claim that water is what causes razor blades to get dull.

My skins is pretty soft and my whiskers aren't particular tough and lot softer than steel. Anybody want to explain the physics involved?

I have question which could find an answer to via google are at least one i believed.

I thought most razor blades are made of stainless steel,which is highly resistant to corrosion from water. So I am skeptical when people claim that water is what causes razor blades to get dull.

My skins is pretty soft and my whiskers aren't particular tough and lot softer than steel. Anybody want to explain the physics involved?

I'm no physicist, and don't play one on cable...

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned "stropping" the razor using a pair of jeans. I assume this is akin to the leather strap barbers use, and the ceramic honing "steel" used in the kitchen. It's not for sharpening, per se, but for realigning the edge. Likely there's a cleaning and polishing effect as well.

I tried the stropping on jeans thing a while back and noticed no change.

I stay with name brands, I have tried to go cheap with CVS knockoffs, with out success.

Cut myself so bad, I had to tell the coworkers, I did not think life was worth living this AM.

Razor blades, and in fact all types of blades, get dull in two ways:

1. the edge, which is very thin, curls over very slightly from use, away from the direction the blade is designed to cut in. This curling over can be corrected by stropping the blade. A barberr strops his razor with a leather belt while a butcher uses a "steel," i.e. a hardened steel rod. The effect in both cases is the same, if cone correctly: the strop "sets up" the edge of the blade, i.e. restores it to a straight edge again, and then it cuts again.

2. After much use the edge becomes pitted due to wear and/or corrosion. Even stainless blades are subject to pitting. Once the blad becomes pitted, stropping will not be sufficient to restore the edge and it will have to be ground using some form of stone.

With so much square footage to shave (legs) I have to agree with spending more for name brand blades (I prefer the 5-bladed kind). Sure I can wear jeans on the days when I've chewed up the backs of my knees, but on hot summer days that's really a punishment.

I've also tried depilatories. They take a long time to apply, etc. when it's a matter of legs, but I should think they'd render a man's face hair-free in a jiffy. And the effect lasts longer. Mr. A. says men don't use depilatories on their faces, but can't really explain why...sounds like it's a matter of custom ("men don't do that"), rather than practical issues with the method? Just curious.

Amethyst

I stay with name brands, I have tried to go cheap with CVS knockoffs, with out success.

Cut myself so bad, I had to tell the coworkers, I did not think life was worth living this AM.

It's stain less steel, not stain proof steel. I won't convince you, but buy a microscope and alternate every day between a razor that you rinse and dry vs just leave wet. You will prove it to yourself.

Back
Top Bottom