Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It doesn't matter what the measurement system is based on, the important thing is the convenience of it's use. It's simply not convenient to have 12 inches to the foot, three feet to the yard, and 5,280 feet to the mile. But we're very good at dividing and multiplying by ten. It makes no difference whether it's based on the size of your whatever (9 inches!), or the size of the earth.

As for metric measurements having no meaning for you, that would change very quickly once you started using them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

You need to get over yourselves.

Your grandchildren WILL be metric.

If we can do it, so can you!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
they pushed it back by another week to next Sunday.
OH! Here they didn't change it. We "fell back" yesterday. Ain't these standards great? Now I have to get confused about when I can call people in the States.

It's not a matter of using the metric system, I used it every day, all day, for years, then I changed career paths and used point and picas all day, every day, for years. (And I go all day speaking a language that's not English, so it's not like my brain is ENTIRELY sclerotic -- Al, no piling on unless you can tell me off the top of yr. head what 9 inches is in centimeters to the first decimal place!!)

I guess to me it's more a matter of what may seem more appropriate for what one is dealing with.

I find it natural to have 6ths, 8ths, 12ths or 16ths.. to me it doesn't HAVE to be divisible by ten. Sorry! I like 12ths because you can divide easily by 2,3,4 and 6. With 10 you only have 2 and 5. I find that limiting. Next time you order a pizza, ask them to make it a decimal pizza and cut it in 10 pieces!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Now I have to get confused about when I can can people in the States.
Only if their performance isn't up to standard, then only after you've given them a verbal, followed by written, warning telling them specifically what they need to improve in order to prevent being terminated.

Then you can can them.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #45

ooops! That's what I get for posting between yoga class and a late supper (frozen paella - 750g for the two of us).
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Of course He did. He even spoke in red letters.

2Cor521
I noticed that too.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Last time they tried that, I was one of the kids waiting for the bus. It wasnt that dark and I didnt have any problem with it, but I still remember the news furor over the PO'd parents.

I'd sure like DST all year round. I can use the daylight at the end of the day a lot more than in the morning. I've already had to tell Gabe a couple of times that we cant go to the park because its too late and almost dark already. Yank that back another hour next week and its gonna be a hassle.
We don't observe DST in most of Arizona because who wants another hour of 40+ degree heat.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd sure like DST all year round.

Then you should definitely NOT move to Saskatchewan!

"Most of Saskatchewan has not observed daylight time since 1966 and stays on Central Standard Time all year round".

CBC News In Depth: Daylight Time
Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Kilos, Shmilos....

I'm a baby doctor. I can look at a baby and guess its weight to the nearest 100g. But I have no idea how many pounds and ounces the same baby would be.

So it seems very odd to me to have the following conversation even with parents who are healthcare providers!

Me: Congratulations! You have a lovely baby girl, she weighs 3.5 kg and all's well now.

Parents: Yes, but how many pounds and ounces is she?

Me: Let's see. 3500/454 = 7.71 lbs. 0.71 pounds is 0.71 * 16 ounces to one pound.....or 11.36 ounces.....so she's just under 7 lbs, 11 and a half ounces.

Parents: Oh good! How tall is she?

Me: We haven't measured that yet. We were busy saving her life.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #50

don't forget the Chinese, who have one vast time zone.

Meadbh, thanks for reminding us, though.. of more important yardsticks.. erm meter sticks.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
a late supper (frozen paella - 750g for the two of us).
Have you ever tried heating it up?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
We don't observe DST in most of Arizona because who wants another hour of 40+ degree heat.
Yeah that used to screw me up when I was working for megacorp. We had a plant in arizona and i'd wait until I *thought* it was after 5 there to call people I didnt actually want to talk to, and instead of their voicemail I'd get the guy still at his desk, since it was also 4:30 in arizona.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiver View Post
Actually, they've changed daylight savings again - according to my calendar, they pushed it back by another week to next Sunday. And the funniest thing was, nobody even noticed. There was nary a word in the news this weekend about it. I think quite a few people will be very surprised next week though.

Why we can't just get rid of standard time and stay on daylight savings all the time is beyond me.
For the first time in years and years (actually since about kindergarten), the time change won't have much of an impact on me. Unless I'm going on a trip or have an appointment, what time it is has no bearing on me. I get up in the morning when I'm done sleeping, and go to bed at night when I'm tired. There's no set time for either. Being retired, I don't wear a watch because, to me, it doesn't really matter what time it is.

However, given the choice, I'd leave the time the way it is now, and quit the "falling back" and "springing forward". Whether the kids get on the bus at 7am in the dark, or get off the bus at 4:30pm in the dark.....dark is still dark. When it did matter to me, I preferred light at the end of the day, because mornings sucked whether it was light or dark!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Then you should definitely NOT move to Saskatchewan!
My fathers parents are from there, and not the "nice" part. Just north of lake tabasco or something like that.

I'd say the odds of my moving to where they escaped ran away from spoke horrifically of throughout my childhood used to live is somewhat low.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Last time they tried that, I was one of the kids waiting for the bus. It wasnt that dark and I didnt have any problem with it, but I still remember the news furor over the PO'd parents.

I'd sure like DST all year round. I can use the daylight at the end of the day a lot more than in the morning. I've already had to tell Gabe a couple of times that we cant go to the park because its too late and almost dark already. Yank that back another hour next week and its gonna be a hassle.
I hated going to standard time in the winter as a kid. By midwinter it would still be dark while waiting for the bus, but as a result of the shift it would also be dark by the time you got home. It would have been nice if they had left us a little sunlight in the afternoon.

The whole changing clocks thing is ridiculous. I am glad we don't do it here, though the proposal occasionally comes up.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiver View Post
Actually, they've changed daylight savings again - according to my calendar, they pushed it back by another week to next Sunday. And the funniest thing was, nobody even noticed. There was nary a word in the news this weekend about it. I think quite a few people will be very surprised next week though.

Why we can't just get rid of standard time and stay on daylight savings all the time is beyond me. Yeah, yeah, the kids will be waiting for the bus in the dark - c'mon, how many kids actually still take the bus at 7AM? And most of them would much rather have the extra daylight after school just like the rest of us. OK - rant off.
Oh...so THAT'S why I keep having to reset the clock on my laptop today?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Oh...so THAT'S why I keep having to reset the clock on my laptop today?
Yeah, nobody told your laptop about Dubya's Bright Idea. Now look at all the energy you're wasting!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #58

i often wonder about standardization.

today as i drove down the road, i wondered about semi's...18 wheelers. I looked at the lines connecting the trailer of a big-rig to the truck itself, and saw the big plugs on both ends....I wonder if they (the plugs) are all the same from one truck to the next? If not, what would you do if you had to haul a trailer with incompatible lines (i suppose they are brake lights and compressed air for brakes)? If they ARE all the same, WHO invented them? Do they make money every time a plug is made with that particular connector?

Then i looked at their mudflaps (funny ones) and wondered the same kind of thing... "are those standard18-wheeler mudflaps? or are they made specifically to mount to a 1998 Peterbuilt blah blah" if theres a standard mounting bracket or configuration for mudflaps...how'd that become so?

wierd stuff like this goes thru my head a lot. i must be special
Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #59

At my yoga class I mentioned the thing about different standards once again (since that's where my original discussion took place about cups vs. grams), but talking about time. Bizarrely, a teacher who wasn't in on the prev. conversation sponteously said.. "yeah! and no one knows the mass of the Kg since it's always changing.. I find that fascinating!!!" Needless to say we were the only two in the class who felt that way!

Well, I heated the frozen paella to 350°, but it only got to 180°. I think my stove is broken.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #60

Metric? I don't think we've figured out the old system. Actually, we're semi-metric and just don't let the general public know.