Why Wine?

I love wine. One of my favorite indulgences. I am dieting now and need to lose weight. Haven't had a glass in 3weeks and I lost 12 pounds. Perhaps I need to cut back on the wine?

Never! I've lost 35 pounds over the past year and didn't cut back on wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I lost 40 lbs in 2013-2014, and added a glass of my favorite wine to my diet. I cut out almost all sugar, so I am drinking some pretty dry reds.

+ 1000. If I had wanted to live as absolutely cheaply as possible, I would have just tried welfare right out of highschool instead of bothering with study and work for years. I want to live as cheaply as I need to, and no more cheaply than that. Because in general, more money brings more quality, or convenience, or style or something that many people want.

Else, it would not cost more. Unless one is unusually narcissistic, he realizes that overall his judgments are not likely to be way better than others'.

Ha

Yeah, LOL!

I'm enjoying this thread. Most of the wine we drink is in the $6 to $9 range. But now I'm wondering if we are missing something. So I'm going to step it up into the big time $10 to $15 range.

We live in wine country (Sonoma County) and have a wine cellar which holds 100 cases. That was done by the original owner of our house. We've gone to many wineries to do oil painting out in the vineyards. Wonderful way to enjoy wineries. Best to do a tasting afterwords as the painting gets worse with the boose.

The best way to find out if you are missing anything is to visit wineries and sample what they are offering. Only then can you decide whether it's worth paying more.

The best way to find out if you are missing anything is to visit wineries and sample what they are offering. Only then can you decide whether it's worth paying more.
Some of the wineries we've visited in the past had bottles starting at maybe $25. I really don't want to go there. I buy our wines at Safeway which has such a good selection that I get lost trying to find what I'm familiar with.

Last edited:
Costco has really helped me maintain my wine habit.

Exactly. I am a member of a local winery. Even with member discount, I can save 40% more by buying the same bottle of wine from Costco.

Last year, we had a $30 bottle of wine in a cruise ship to Alaska. DW and I instantly liked it. After the cruse. we found that Costco was selling the same wine at $6/bottle, $4 with a coupon once.

I drink wine b/c of Costco.

We actually counsel young "beginners" to not do this (when they broach the topic). "Find wines you like at a current comfortable price point, and don't venture up the price ladder." Hedonic adaptation is a dangerous/pricey thing in this area; lord knows we've "suffered" from it. :D

Back
Top Bottom