Why are older Americans drinking so much

Well, alcohol abuse is a sensitive topic, one the U.S. has been dealing with for a long time (Prohibition, MADD etc).

However, alcohol abuse is one of those problems that can wreck the lives of everyone around the abuser, and some people on this board have had to deal with an alcoholic loved one. Some people, like you and me, can manage alcohol consumption quite well. Many others, who aren't as lucky, try to manage by making jokes about their dependency. It may be that jokes about excessive drinking don't go over quite as well as they did back in the day.
I'm not going to lecture anyone on their drinking, I used to do plenty myself. But there was a big news story some years back where a study showed there was no safe level of alcohol to drink, and I drink it very rarely now. It's too late to undo the damage from the past, but I can control what I do now.

I'm not going to lecture anyone on their drinking, I used to do plenty myself. But there was a big news story some years back where a study showed there was no safe level of alcohol to drink, and I drink it very rarely now. It's too late to undo the damage from the past, but I can control what I do now.

Interesting! When you do those life span calculators, they usually say that if you drink a little bit, you'll live longer than if you don't drink at all.

I honestly cannot stand the taste of alcoholic drinks. To me, it’s revolting. Sure I’ve had beer and wine now and again, but only at gatherings and so on- and that’s few and far between. I never drink at home and you won’t find any in the house! I very much prefer 4C iced tea mix!

Interesting! When you do those life span calculators, they usually say that if you drink a little bit, you'll live longer than if you don't drink at all.

I've read alcohol may slightly dissolve artery plaques. The antioxidant resveratrol in red wine may have beneficial effects but similar can be obtained from ordinary grape juice.

We do not care what the pundits are saying about what is too much, typically they are just covering their A$$'s. We do not think 2 or 3 5-6oz glasses of a fine red wine every evening (Basically half a bottle each which totals 375ml each) with dinner is too much. BTW neither does my cardiologist.

Yeah, it sounds like conflicting info. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in some online calculator about life spans. Correlation is not causation. It could be that people who drink alcohol manage their health in some other ways that offsets the alcohol abuse.

We do not care what the pundits are saying about what is too much, typically they are just covering their A$$'s. We do not think 2 or 3 5-6oz glasses of a fine red wine every evening (Basically half a bottle each which totals 375ml each) with dinner is too much. BTW neither does my cardiologist.

I agree, that probably will do no harm in the long term and would be quite enjoyable!

I've said this before somewhere in one of these many threads on drinking; my Dad was an alcoholic and died from a quart a day of vodka at 62. Also, Mom had a stroke around that age (she recovered) and forgot she was an alcoholic too, and never drank again and died of kidney disease at 83 or so.

I stopped drinking maybe 15 years ago (not sure exactly when) and I "drank it all" up until that time. I'm much healthier for making that move (along with more exercise and eating better), but if I was diagnosed with terminal cancer or other similar diseases today, I would make a beeline to the nearest package store and buy some good wine and craft beer and have at it again!

Heck, I may also stop and pick up a couple of cartons of some Camel smokes (unfiltered) and start smoking again too! :D

Last edited:
First wine with your meal was good for you. Then it was bad for you. Then it was good again. Then bad again. I've lost count whether it's good or bad a this point. Eggs were victims of the same nonsensical "studies".

People have been consuming both for ten thousand years...... I'll have a nice Cab with my scrambled please.

if I was diagnosed with terminal cancer or other similar diseases today, I would make a beeline to the nearest package store and buy some good wine and craft beer and have at it again!

Heck, I may also stop and pick up a couple of cartons of some Camel smokes (unfiltered) and start smoking again too! :D

Not me. I'd buy six of the largest size sampler boxes of Whitman's chocolates and eat every single last one this afternoon! Then I'd do it again. Haven't had any chocolates for half a century and they are SO good. But I know that if I did that, I'd be even more extremely obese and diabetic than I already am. There are skinny people out there who can actually DO this, and then criticize someone like me who doesn't, so I really do understand. For me, the key is to try not to get emotionally off center when others are hurting my feelings. What's best for one person can be deadly for another.

I have also known people who, when toddlers, were raised by severely alcoholic mothers with no fathers or anyone else in the house to protect them. I know what can happen and it isn't pretty. I'm a mother and my heart goes out to them. It's a balancing act to behave consistently with my maternal/protective instincts towards such helpless children, and with the simultaneous goal of protecting the quite valid feelings of adults who want to drink (or indulge in chocolates) every day without criticism.

Attachments

• chocolates.jpg
    chocolates.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
I had two BIL's who professed to be TT. Well, at least at home in the view of their spouses. Outside, when traveling on business, on fishing trips it was a vary different story. Always felt sorry for those who have to live like that in their own homes and hide innocent activitly for their spouse or family members.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of those in this thread signalling their virtue proclaiming how little they drink and how much they dislike alcoholic beverages are not as "dry" as they would like others to believe.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of those in this thread signalling their virtue proclaiming how little they drink and how much they dislike alcoholic beverages are not as "dry" as they would like others to believe.
I'm having a gin gimlet on the rocks right now while watching the Red Sox [-]implode[/-] win in the ninth...

Last edited:
I drank more when I was working full time as my stress level was so high. By Friday night I'd "need" 3 or 4 cocktails... or Thursday night. Now that I am mostly retired my stress is lower and I find I drink less. I also finally realized I sleep worse and feel worse when I drink more so there's that too!

I've had wine and other alcoholic drinks I've liked. It's just beer specifically that I used to drink a lot of and never really liked, but that's probably a good thing. I didn't need a reason to drink any more back in those days.

I really like the taste of good wine, good beer, and most cordials. (Don't like grain-based alcoholic drinks at all).

I just don't like the way they make me feel. Not one bit. This has always puzzled me, since most people seem to prize the alcoholic buzz even more than they like the taste!

I’m going to have a drink after that horrendous loss the Phillies had today against Pittsburgh.

Our wine drinking is very moderate and with meals as wine enhances food so much and we eat very well at home. I am in no way inclined to stop it as we enjoy meals with wine very much. I also like being linked to the great gustatory tradition reaching back to Greek times and earlier. Along with olive cultivation for olive oil, Greeks introduced grapes and viticulture at several key locations across Mediterranean where great wines (and olive oil) are still produced today. These seem like miracle foods to me.

Of course if someone can’t stop drinking alcohol none of the above matters.

I honestly cannot stand the taste of alcoholic drinks. To me, it’s revolting. Sure I’ve had beer and wine now and again, but only at gatherings and so on- and that’s few and far between. I never drink at home and you won’t find any in the house! I very much prefer 4C iced tea mix!

The only alcohol that I tolerate the taste of loaded up with sugar. Basically, umbrella drinks.

"ALL GOOD THINGS IN MODERATION". My Dad loved his IPA Beers and that's what he always said if my Mom (non-drinker) disapproved. I like the quote and I think it goes all the way back to Socrates and reiterated by Ben Franklin and other over the years. I enjoy good red wine on a daily basis. I stick to close or slightly above the recommended daily max of 2-3 glasses, and I get an annual physical and blood test. Liver is in good shape. So, Carpe Diem. And I'm with Gumby; I don't need to be lectured or made to feel guilty about it. I drink only 3 things: water, coffee, and wine. No sugary soda crap. I have read that excess sugar is worse for the liver than alcohol. If you like sodas, then have at it, but do it in moderation. :)

“Everything in moderation,” goes the old line, meaning don't binge, and don't abstain, but do take it easy on the bad stuff. Between the two poles of asceticism and indulgence, moderation is about never giving up or fully giving in. It's a reasonable approach: walk the rational temperate middle road to health.

First wine with your meal was good for you. Then it was bad for you. Then it was good again. Then bad again. I've lost count whether it's good or bad a this point. Eggs were victims of the same nonsensical "studies".

People have been consuming both for ten thousand years...... I'll have a nice Cab with my scrambled please.

Elsewhere in this ER community, someone had posted this funny SNL skit:

There are a fair amount of busybodies out there who firmly believe that what they do and how they live their lives is the standard that everyone should aspire to.

We ignore them.

Living in multiple locations and a fair amount of international travel has made us aware of the basic fact that there are many different paths to live your life to the fullest and to enjoy a healthy life. How we live in North America is hardly the standard.

Last edited:
I find the hectoring, self righteous tone of some of these posts to be quite off-putting. Excuses to drink? I don't make excuses. The young wife and I drink wine with dinner most every night because that's what we enjoy doing. I'm quite aware of the risks of excessive alcohol consumption and I always tell my doctor exactly how much I drink.

If you don't want to drink anything, that's fine by me. I won't judge you or tell you that you should change your decision. All I ask is the reciprocal courtesy.

This post puzzles me. I guess I see the majority of posts along the lines of personal reasons why they choose not to drink, or drink a lot, or have reduced drinking. I do not see any pointing fingers at those folks who posted that they enjoy drinking.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and curtail the gallons of diet soda I stupidly drank in my youth, which at the time, few medical folks were concerned about. (Oh yeah...and wear some darn sunblock!)

That diet crap - more than all the alcohol I drank in the past - has likely screwed up my health a lot more. (Bad genetics didn't help!)

I always find people's dietary biases funny. Someone solemnly advises to avoid all alcohol "it's poison!". Then you find out they're smokers. Or regularly consume fatty meat and soda. I've had fairly heavy drinkers and chain smokers caution me against consuming skim milk. lol

Last edited:
I always find people's dietary biases funny. Someone solemnly advises to avoid all alcohol "it's poison!". Then you find out they're smokers. Or regularly consume fatty meat and soda. I've had fairly heavy drinkers and chain smokers caution me against consuming skim milk. lol

I agree- I figure you can't over-indulge in any of the above but I allow myself a few "vices" in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom