Wikileaks Egypt USA

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If anyone hears or reads similar info below from USA media please post it.

My thoughts are that what is happening in Egypt is similar to what happened in Tunisia. It is not so much about democracy. It is about rising food prices and fuel (both usually subsidized) going up, large poor population, high unemployment and hopeless educated youth. There are a lot of places like this in the middle east.

This will not change if/after the Mubarak leaves. It will probably get worse with sectarian violence.

I'm glad I was there a few years ago to see the sights.

Egypt protests: America's secret backing for rebel leaders behind uprising - Telegraph

The US government has previously been a supporter of Mr Mubarak’s regime. But the leaked documents show the extent to which America was offering support to pro-democracy activists in Egypt while publicly praising Mr Mubarak as an important ally in the Middle East.
In a secret diplomatic dispatch, sent on December 30 2008, Margaret Scobey, the US Ambassador to Cairo, recorded that opposition groups had allegedly drawn up secret plans for “regime change” to take place before elections, scheduled for September this year.
The memo, which Ambassador Scobey sent to the US Secretary of State in Washington DC, was marked “confidential” and headed: “April 6 activist on his US visit and regime change in Egypt.”

From a gas prices perspective. I was hearing that (though not likely), if the events in Egypt reach Saudi Arabia, gas prices here could reach $5 a gallon. Ouch.

Back
Top Bottom