Wild Turkey in the Backyard - Photo

C

Cut-Throat

When I woke up this morning, I saw a Wild Turkey walking through my Backyard. This is the first one I've seen in this immediate area.

WildTurkey.jpg

Have a joyous and bountiful Thanksgiving!! :LOL:

Used to get a whole herd of them through the back yard of my old mcmansion in the late fall. I hear they eat baby snakes which is probably why I never saw a snake, rattler or other, in our rattlesnake infested area.

When I first moved in and started letting the cats outside, my littlest one spotted momma turkey with a long trail of chicks behind her and squatted down into stalk/attack pose. I went about my business. The next morning when I let them out again, little one saw the turkey clan down the hill and quickly beat a path around the corner of the house towards the front. Methinks momma turkey taught her a little lesson.

One interesting fact I didnt know until I lived there for many years. Those turkeys can climb trees. Saw one walk up to a tree, plant a foot in it and walk right up the side, pecking at bugs all the way up. Pretty amazing to watch.

Aren't wild turkeys great? We have a huge population where I live. You have to watch certain roads as there are some that are known turkey paths. My former office had a creek behind it and flocks or herds of turkeys living there. They would jump on our cars in the parking lot sometimes....And of course turkey poop...

Habitat is returning to its pre 1800 levels in Northeast US Partly due to Lyme disease- nobody wants to go out there any more for fear of ticks-- but also due to the fact that we don't cut down trees for houses and energy the way we used to around here.

We have wild turkeys walking all through our town's quieter areas during the past 5 years or so, and first one in our backyard this spring. An incredible bird - beautiful. I love the way that little feather juts out from the middle of their chest.

Last week at the local nature center across the street, I saw our resident mama turkey with about 8 little turkey chicks -- really a great sight. Wonder how many will survive to adulthood.

All this 35 minutes from New York City, in a town which has zero lots available to build on. (everything new is a teardown).

ESRBob said:
Habitat is returning to its pre 1800 levels in Northeast US  Partly due to Lyme disease- nobody wants to go out there any more for fear of ticks-- but also due to the fact that we don't cut down trees for houses and energy the way we used to around here.

We have wild turkeys walking all through our town's quieter areas during the past 5 years or so, and first one in our backyard this spring.  An incredible bird - beautiful.  I love the way that little feather juts out from the middle of their chest.

Last week  at the local nature center across the street, I saw our resident mama turkey with about 8 little turkey chicks -- really a great sight.  Wonder how many will survive to adulthood.

All this 35 minutes from New York City, in a town which has zero lots available to build on.  (everything new is a teardown).

That "little feather" is called a "beard" found mostly on toms but sometimes
on hens as well. Turkeys are fun to hunt but very wary. Out here in the
"boonies" we have possums, raccoons, deer, turkeys, ducks, geese, snakes,
and chipmunks in "the yard". Ticks are a problem here also. This year
has been especially bad.

JG

John,
We have possums, too. Fascinating animal -- the only north american marsupial, I believe. It's great to see habitat coming back -- makes me feel like we aren't screwing up the environment after all, at least not everywhere.

My favorite around here are the family of woodchucks that moved in last year. At least flor now they are happily burrowing away off on a forested part of the property. When they discover they like our lawn, me and nature may start to butt heads...

Back
Top Bottom