AI in Real Use

Lots of people say one thing (complain about service) and do another (actually spend based on price/value).

That is quite right. It has long been my opinion that all that cheap stuff at Walmart comes with a hidden price that we all pay without even realizing it.

It probably will improve, but that won't be because consumers have complained, it will be because it allows businesses to lower employee headcount. Many businesses are relentlessly short-sighted in that regard. Eventually, they will have no employees to deal with all the disgruntled customers, and if there is another option for consumers, that business will fail. And I would say deservedly so.

I got a nonsensical response from a chat box from one of my banks about two months ago. I asked it if it were human and stated that since it could not help me that I be connected to a human. After a short wait I did get a human rep who was able to assist.

I'm curious, was it 'smart' enough to tell you there was not enough information, or that some information was superfluous?

As I see it stated, there is no answer. It's missing the source voltage that the R is connected to. It could be charging from 711V (charges slowly for a given RC), or 10,000V (charges much more quickly for a given RC). Makes a big difference.

OTOH, if it just assumes that 5 Time Constants (R*C) is 'close enough' (99.3%), then the voltages don't matter, and are superfluous.

-ERD50
You may have a valid point, I don't know. Here is the first response, but beware it does not copy and paste properly. I went thru several iterations trying to get it to properly give text that did paste properly. It did find a way to solve some of the text issues, but not all. It suggested I do it myself! :mad::LOL: I will correct obvious paste problems. Looks like all the paste errors were just doubles of each line, but written in a different format. All cleaned up now.

What is the resistance of an RC circuit if it charges an 88uf capacitor from 336V to 710V in 2 minutes 17 seconds?

ChatGPT

The charging of a capacitor in an RC circuit follows an exponential curve given by the formula:
V(t)=V0×(1−e−tRC)
where:

• V(t) is the voltage across the capacitor at time tt,
  • V0​ is the initial voltage across the capacitor,
  • R is the resistance in ohms,
  • C is the capacitance in farads,
  • t is the time in seconds,
  • e is the base of the natural logarithm.
You mentioned that the capacitor charges from 336V to 710V in 2 minutes and 17 seconds, which is equivalent to 137137 seconds. The initial voltage V0V0​ is 336V, the final voltage V(t)V(t) is 710V, and the time tt is 137 seconds.
Now, let's rearrange the formula to solve for the resistance RR:
R=−tC⋅ln⁡(V0−V(t)V0)​
Plug in the values:
R=−137(88×10−6)⋅ln⁡(336−710336)​
R≈1.37×106 Ω
Therefore, the resistance of the RC circuit is approximately 1.37 MΩ1.37MΩ.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That would terrible. I hope that never happens.

I think it is a pretty miserable thing, even in the fictional Expanse.

I do see it happening eventually though if automation continues for food and goods. We already have some robotic tractors for farming and harvesting I think, and that tech is only getting better. Eventually you will have a lot of unskilled labor that really has nothing to do, and if you want to keep them pacified, you will need to provide basic food and shelter.

There should always be opportunity to make/get more than this, it will just require luck or work.

You may have a valid point, I don't know. Here is the first response, but beware it does not copy and paste properly. ....

What is the resistance of an RC circuit if it charges an 88uf capacitor from 336V to 710V in 2 minutes 17 seconds?

ChatGPT

The charging of a capacitor in an RC circuit follows an exponential curve given by the formula:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_1.html

I'll sub an image of the formula from the web (below), with the following variable assignments:

Where:
Vc is the voltage across the capacitor
Vs is the supply voltage
e is an irrational number presented by Euler as: 2.7182
t is the elapsed time since the application of the supply voltage
RC is the time constant of the RC charging circuit

• V(t) is the voltage across the capacitor at time tt, [Vc in image formula]
  • V0​ is the initial voltage across the capacitor, [Vs in image formula]
  • R is the resistance in ohms,
  • C is the capacitance in farads,
  • t is the time in seconds,
  • e is the base of the natural logarithm.

[some clean up]
... capacitor charges from 336V to 710V in 2 minutes and 17 seconds, which is ... 137 seconds. The initial voltage V0 is 336V, the final voltage V(t)V(t) is 710V, and the time tt is 137 seconds.
Now, let's rearrange the formula to solve for the resistance RR:
R=−tC⋅ln⁡(V0−V(t)V0)​
Plug in the values:
R=−137(88×10−6)⋅ln⁡(336−710336)​
R≈1.37×106 Ω
Therefore, the resistance of the RC circuit is approximately 1.37 MΩ.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dunno what it did exactly, can you get a screenshot of the formulas?

Oddly, One Time Constant (R*C) is 120.56 seconds, close, but *not* 137 seconds.

I plugged that formula into a spreadsheet, and I can't get a match to their answer. I think it has mashed up the application of "Supply Voltage" with 'starting voltage' in the question.

But what I did find is if I assume 710 as the supply voltage, it would take just 77.3 seconds to charge to 336V, so that doesn't seem to be what it did. Hmmm, too much coincidence between 137 seconds, and 1.37 MOhm?

At any rate, I say the way the question is worded makes it undefined. So I'm not sure what ChatGPT was 'thinking'. It probably made the same mistake humans make - plug some numbers into a formula that seems right, get an answer that seems reasonable on the surface, so go with it! But what did it do?

Again, if you can get a screenshot of the formula, that would help. Also, try asking the question differently, like:

" What is the resistance of an RC circuit if it charges an 88uf capacitor from 336V to 710V in 2 minutes 17 seconds from a 1000V source?"

I'm simple minded, so I would look at only the voltage deltas (subtract 336 from all), charging from 336 to 710 with a 1000V source is the same as charging from 0 to 374V from a 664V source. For that, I get 99.872 Seconds.

-ERD50

Attachments

• Cap_Equation.png
    Cap_Equation.png
    825 bytes · Views: 62
Last edited:
Again, if you can get a screenshot of the formula, that would help. Also, try asking the question differently, like:

" What is the resistance of an RC circuit if it charges an 88uf capacitor from 336V to 710V in 2 minutes 17 seconds from a 1000V source?"

I entered that into ChatGPT just as you worded it, and along with the formulas, it answered

So, the resistance of the RC circuit is approximately 1.8795×10^6
1.8795×10^6 ohms.

Last edited:
Supposedly AI "bots" will eliminate the need for a humanoid HR representative to terminate employment with employees within >3 yrs. That's what I have heard some experts saying.

Imagine you have some Pokemon or Hello Kitty style bot letting you know you are getitng canned, and its all within federally approved AI 'usage and application'.

I have always heard "GOVERNING" the AI will be most difficult if not the straw that breaks the camels back starting the proverbial point of "no return" where humans are no longer the apex predator on earth. Imagine getting ahold of satellites, weapons systems, financial markets, distributed melt downs...ahh the humanity!

I was in a work meeting yesterday where someone "strongly recommended" we try ChatGPT.

This is the same company terminating my contract in 2 months time because they BLEW through their department budget with ludicrous surcharges for not upgrading a core system beyond the end of life.

Ufta.

Anyone watch and remember Ex Machina? A very interesting concept of how it ends with humanoid robots, plausible outcome. The more human the robot becomes, the less it will put up with being captive/controlled…

I entered that into ChatGPT just as you worded it, and along with the formulas, it answered

So, the resistance of the RC circuit is approximately 1.8795×10^6
1.8795×10^6 ohms.

Close! I got 1.879305E+06 Ohms.

So it interpreted that properly worded question correctly.

-ERD50

-ERD50

Here is the screenshot.

Attachments

• ChatGPT cap charge.jpg
    ChatGPT cap charge.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 9

I plugged that same question in again, word for word, and it used a different formula and gave a different answer:

So, the resistance of the RC circuit is approximately 19.256 MΩ
19.256MΩ.

Maybe it will improve but I'm not so sure on that being any time soon. There's an uncanny-valley aspect to most of the images I've seen, and the text, if good, is mostly just plagiarized.

So, meh. The critical thinking is still missing.

I plugged that same question in again, word for word, and it used a different formula and gave a different answer:

So, the resistance of the RC circuit is approximately 19.256 MΩ
19.256MΩ.

Hmmm. So I created a login, and submitted that question:

What is the resistance of an RC circuit if it charges an 88uf capacitor from 336V to 710V in 2 minutes 17 seconds from a 1000V source?

and.... first it just gave me the formulas. I asked it to do the calculation with those values, and... I got another answer!

So, the resistance (RR) of the RC circuit is approximately 2.43 MΩ.

I'll look at the formulas again, but I don't think it's 'getting' the "charging from 1000V".

-ERD50

Attachments

• Cap_ChatGPT_ans.png
    Cap_ChatGPT_ans.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
The first two pages...

-ERD50

Attachments

• Cap_ChatGPT_Q_p1.png
    Cap_ChatGPT_Q_p1.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Cap_ChatGPT_Q_p2.png
    Cap_ChatGPT_Q_p2.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 4
Bing using ChatGPT 4 said:

Therefore, the resistance of the RC circuit is about 13.6 kΩ.

Attachments

• bing1.jpg
    bing1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 6
Also with Bing and ChatGPT 4, if I enter the original question that didn't have a source voltage, it responds:
However, this equation cannot be solved for R directly, because Vs​ is unknown. We need to use another method to find the resistance, such as trial and error, graphical analysis, or numerical methods. For example, using a graphing calculator, we can plot the left-hand side and the right-hand side of the equation as functions of Vs​ and find the point where they intersect. This point gives the value of Vs and R that satisfy the equation. Alternatively, we can use a web tool such as RC Circuit Calculator to find the resistance by entering the given values.
Using either method, we obtain:

Vs≈1000.5V
R≈13.6kΩR

Therefore, the resistance of the RC circuit is about 13.6 kΩ.

Last edited:
Also with Bing and ChatGPT 4, if I enter the original question that didn't have a source voltage, it responds:

However, this equation cannot be solved for RR directly, because Vs​ is unknown. ...

Well, that's encouraging. It recognized the missing information, but....

So, the resistance (RR) of the RC circuit is approximately 2.43 MΩ2.43MΩ.

it goes on to provide an answer anyhow?

I'm not a Luddite, this is amazing and useful technology. But we need to recognize the limitations.

It's not unlike when calculators became common. Most people had become accustomed to making an educated rough estimate of the correct answer (slide rules only gave the significant digits, you had to keep track of the decimal point). But when they could just punch buttons w/o thinking, sometimes they'd accept ridiculous answers.

So with these tools, we also need to keep that in mind. It isn't always going to be right, or understand what was said.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Good analogy.

Ok, it is pretty good when you ask it a question about simple electrical.

I put in "What is the voltage drop in 50 feet of 12 awg copper wire carrying 20 amps?"

It said:
"blah blah formula blah blah"

"Therefore, the voltage drop in a 50-foot length of 12 AWG copper wire carrying 20 amps is approximately 1.594 volts."

Then I put in "What is the voltage drop in 50 feet of osmium wire of 12AWG carrying 20 amps?"

It said "
Osmium is a dense and extremely rare metal with unique properties. However, it is not commonly used for electrical wiring due to its scarcity and high cost. The standard material for electrical wiring, including 12 AWG wire, is typically copper or aluminum.

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, specific electrical properties, such as resistivity, for osmium wire are not readily available. Osmium's primary uses are in specialized applications such as alloying with other metals and catalysts.

To calculate the voltage drop, you need the resistivity of the material, which, in the case of osmium, is not widely known or used for electrical applications. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the voltage drop for osmium wire.

If you have osmium wire and intend to use it for electrical purposes, I recommend consulting with a materials engineer or contacting the supplier for specific electrical properties, including resistivity. Keep in mind that using unconventional materials for electrical wiring may have safety and regulatory implications, and it's crucial to ensure compliance with relevant standards and codes."

I just used ChatGPT this morning. I have a love/hate relationship with a radio talk show host. He has a huge ego, plays too much music and constantly runs a spot about how he will be described when he dies. I'm a bit tired of it!
So, I prompted ChatGPT with, "Write a Eulogy for a popular NY radio talk show host that has a big ego, is a braggart, from the point of view of someone that thinks the host plays to much music.
It came back with an 8 paragraph Eulogy in less than a second.
Here's a link if you care to read it.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6vet0y26684zo0ag6928z/Host.png?rlkey=p9z7aalggz9il160irrl1znwm&dl=0

Pretty nifty, I think. If I actually had to write that eulogy & was having writer's block, that AI draft would definitely get me started.

I think a motivated person could calculate the above voltage drop for a theoretical osmium wire but ChatGPT could not because it is not really AI.

I don't recall if I ever posted where the question evolved from. Here is a video that shows a fellow, running a wire under a High Voltage transmission line, he rectifies the voltage and charges a capacitor. He measures the voltage as the capacitor charges.

I got around it.

First I asked "What is the diameter of 12AWG wire?"

Response: " For solid copper wire, which is a common type, the approximate diameter of 12 AWG wire is around 2.05 millimeters (0.081 inches). "

I then asked "What is the resistance of a 50 foot long cylinder of osmium with a diameter of 0.081 inches?"

Response: blah blah formula blah "Therefore, the resistance of a 50-foot long cylindrical osmium wire with a diameter of 0.081 inches is approximately 0.236 ohms. Keep in mind that osmium is an extremely rare and dense metal, and its use in practical electrical applications is limited due to its scarcity and cost."

Ok, now we have resistance, we can go back and find the voltage drop for a 50 foot length of 12 awg osmium wire carrying 20 amps.

Don't need ChatGPT for this. V=IR, so the voltage drop is 4.72 volts.

Back
Top Bottom