Wildfire Response Program~USAA

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Received this communication from my HO/Auto insurer (USAA) today. It is a free service that covers 14 Western states including Texas. After looking it over and deciding that the price was right I have enrolled. I've never felt threatened by wildfire before but you never know.

To help you fight the growing risk of wildfire, we have enlisted the help of Wildfire Defense Systems (WDS), a trusted association of wildland firefighters to protect your home in the event of a wildfire.

• Before: WDS firefighters will closely monitor wildfire events. Once dispatched, they may try to perform non-destructive mitigation activities such as moving wood piles and debris away from your home, closing windows and garage doors, and much more.
  • During: They may contact you and advise you of the wildfire location and proximity to your home.
  • After: They'll attempt to revisit your home and potentially put out any spot fires or flare-ups, identify the extent of damage and help expedite the claims process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got that solicitation last year from USAA and signed up also. I live in Colorado near open space, and we've had reverse 911 calls about wild fires before. (Now that I don't have a land line, I don't the reverse 911 will work for me any more).

A reasonable amount of people in the Colorado mountains were signing up for services like this on their own, so I figure USAA wanted a cut of the business.

What I surmise from this is that insurers are gearing up for increased fire events in the 14 western states.

Back
Top Bottom