Windows 10

No luck again today. Microsoft published an official ISO so I might try a clean install and blow away Win7. Hopefully I don't loose the activation.

So, on two of my computers, I was prepared to get Windows 10.
The first went ok, but for whatever reason, the install on the second computer, got as far as downloading the install, and came up with the "cannot proceed" problem. .....

If anyone "should" have the same problem, here's the suggested "fix".
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ok6Tun1BpdUzsZjdz-LTVmd2F2_EuS5x9HDglMuKeD4/edit?usp=sharing

Good luck!

Here's my recommended fix:

Install Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS | Ubuntu

-ERD50

Two tips for worry-free, high success rate upgrades -

1) Worry-free - install the upgrade to a cloned copy of the hard drive. If there are any problems or dislikes, simply replace with the original copy.

2) High success - Upgrade to a clean, updated copy of the stand alone target operating system. Add the extra software after the upgrade, especially with older software. Example - when upgrading from XP to Win 8, I was able to use XP based Works 9 by installing in XP mode. It would not have worked as a complete system upgrade.

I would like to. Get 10, from what I have read they restored start menu, like in win7. However, I have surface rt, and it isn't being released for rt. :(

An alternative to Ubuntu is Linux mint, I believe its also based on Ubuntu 14.04 and is just a derivative of that core. I've been using it for a few weeks now since "they" finally convinced me that my old computer with windows XP was no longer safe to use. The transition away from windows was actually painless . I find the Linux mint 17.2 Cinnamon version to actually be fairly similar to windows XP or Win 7 in the use of a menu and most things work just as I would expect them to coming from a windows environment.

The version I use can be found here: Download - Linux Mint

The version I use is the 32 bit Cinnamon since my XP computer is about 12 years old and has only 1 gig of memory. Maybe less resource intensive versions such as Mate would work better but I find the Cinnamon flavor works fine. I know there are even lighter versions of linux for even older computers but I find the one I picked to work just fine.

Running it now. I like it compared to 8 and 8.1, and it may be a little faster than 7. I'm running it on a Mac that has two hard drives, one running Yosemite and one now running Windows 10 with Boot Camp. That added some complications to "activating" Windows but I eventually got it to work.

I have a PC laptop which is running Windows 7, and I'm shocked that I'm told it is still compatible with 10 since we bought it in 2005 when it shipped with XP. That laptop, which I sometimes use in bed to wind down at night, dual boots with Ubuntu 14.04 which is what I usually use on that one. That said, my early opinion is that Win 10 is what Win 8 should have been just as Win 7 was what Vista should have been. I have not seen any software incompatibilities yet with the apps I ran on 7 and 8.

Did the upgrade last night/ early this morning. Here's the issues I had;
1. It changed my Windows password. YUP! Could not log on using my password I used to have. Turned out that it somehow syncs with Microsoft Outlook and my password for my laptop w/Windows 10 is my Outlook password. I was sweating!!

2. My touch pad on my laptop no longer has right side scroll. Finally figured out where they hid the Windows Settings, then Devices, then Mouse and Touchpad, then Related Settings, then Additonal Mouse Options, then Mouse Properties, then Elan Smart Pad, then Multi-finger tab, then Scrolling, select the 'enable' box. and look at the illustration that shows I need to use two fingers on the touch pad, one stays touching but not moving, the other finger slides up and down.

WHEW!

However,
If I'm off at an angle and my finger slides left/right instead of straight up/down, my screen zooms in and out instead of scrolling.
WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!

3. Opened Quicken and it can't find my folder I keep my accounts in. Can't find the back up to restore. Luckily I got it on a memory stick.

An alternative to Ubuntu is Linux mint, I believe its also based on Ubuntu 14.04 and is just a derivative of that core. I've been using it for a few weeks now since "they" finally convinced me that my old computer with windows XP was no longer safe to use. The transition away from windows was actually painless . I find the Linux mint 17.2 Cinnamon version to actually be fairly similar to windows XP or Win 7 in the use of a menu and most things work just as I would expect them to coming from a windows environment.

The version I use can be found here: Download - Linux Mint

The version I use is the 32 bit Cinnamon since my XP computer is about 12 years old and has only 1 gig of memory. Maybe less resource intensive versions such as Mate would work better but I find the Cinnamon flavor works fine. I know there are even lighter versions of linux for even older computers but I find the one I picked to work just fine.

I have tried the version you mentioned with it loaded on a stick drive, and it is very similar to windows. Two things have caused a little consternation: 1] no "persistence" meaning you have to set up certain things each time you boot. 2] "kernel panic" which causes a hang, once so bad I had to pull the battery out of the laptop to get it's attention.

An alternative to Ubuntu is Linux mint, I believe its also based on Ubuntu 14.04 and is just a derivative of that core. ...
Right, and Mint has become very popular. I looked at it before upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04, I liked it but there were a few things I liked about the Xubuntu release better, so I went with Xubuntu. I'll probably take another look at Mint before I go from 14.04 LTS (Long Term Release) to 16.04 LTS.

-ERD50

I have tried the version you mentioned with it loaded on a stick drive, and it is very similar to windows. Two things have caused a little consternation: 1] no "persistence" meaning you have to set up certain things each time you boot. 2] "kernel panic" which causes a hang, once so bad I had to pull the battery out of the laptop to get it's attention.

I've been able to set up a USB thumb drive/stick with persistence before, but for some reason I had trouble getting a thumb drive to boot at all on 14.04. So I just installed from a DVD I burned and went for it.

-ERD50

I didn't try to run it from a USB stick, I just burned the ISO to a DVD and worked from that for a few hours and then I decided to go ahead and install it in my computer. At first I set up a dual boot partition, Windows XP/Linux. After using Linux Mint for a few days I just removed XP altogether. I found out I could run Quicken under Linux (using Wine) and that pushed me to just get rid of XP. I really haven't had any issues with hang ups so I can't comment there.

The only "problem" I've had so far is that the current version of Google Earth in the 32 bit version has a bug where pictures taken along trails and such don't show up when I click on them.

I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday, and it's working fine. The 'puter boots up faster, and it seems to work a little quicker.

My Win 10 operates like Windows 7 for the most part--and completely different than the original 8.1. It's been easy to figure out how to do basic things on.

We'll see how it works over the long run.

Windows 10 Upgrade

My old notebook running an old Atom processor upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 yesterday.

Upgrade took at least an hour (due to my slow processor) and after completing the upgrade the Realtek sound driver was having problems (analog jack output to external TV would not work).

After a little investigation and checking on the web it turned out that the Realtek driver did not load completely due to a timeout problem with Windows 10 and the slow Atom processor needing more time (most other folks with newer/faster PC's should not see this problem). Manually reloading the Realtek driver that was already downloaded onto the notebook as part of the Windows 10 package took care of the issue.

I spent a couple of hours playing with the new OS and am quite impressed. I didn't like that I had to remove Windows Media Center as part of the upgrade but that has been discussed elsewhere.

Peter

Beware, W10 resets your default applications to MS applications, including changing your default browser from Firefox or Chrome to the new MS Edge browser.

Beware, W10 resets your default applications to MS applications, including changing your default browser from Firefox or Chrome to the new MS Edge browser.

Old habits die hard? :LOL:

Maybe Edge and Bing do not fall under their judicial losses and so The Borg will get away with anticompetitive behaviour for a while? When The Borg becomes generous, be very careful about what you may be giving up...

Windows 10 is very intrusive when it comes to privacy. I would never use this OS for any important personal information.

Perhhaps there should be a linux thread.

At my age and with 7 different computers,I have no intention of changing over or learning a new system.

The subject is Windows 10... not how dumb some of us are...

:cool:

I upgraded a 5-year-old Win 7 desktop yesterday. The OS and application part of it went fine--but the upgrade somehow hosed the partition info on my second internal drive, a 4 TB Western Digital green drive where all of my photos/documents/music/videos are. (It's all mirrored and backed up, but the drive was the primary location.)

Miraculously, a program called TestDisk was able to diagnose and rewrite the partition data, and the drive is back in business.

Other than that.... :)

I'm a power user--so Win 10 may be a bit too simplified for me, but I imagine I'll stick with it. My #1 annoyance is the dang title bars are now a boring white, and can't be changed without a kludgy workaround.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom