Windows 10 and Internet freezes

PIBMAD - Problem Is Between Mouse And Dongle.

BTW, that domain is available!
:D

PIBMAD - Problem Is Between Mouse And Dongle.

BTW, that domain is available!
:D
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The mouse freezing on my Windows 10 PC returned a few weeks ago. The same mouse and dongle combination *does not* freeze on my old Windows 7 PC or my Linux Mint PC. There is something about Windows 10 on my PC (new purchase from Dell end of 2019 - clean install) and this combination that refuses to play nice.

At least the fix to the Internet hanging continues to work. :mad:

Last several days I was convinced I had a bad Windows 10 glitch - had done an update and the next day the screen went to black. Moved the mouse around, clicked mouse buttons, back it came. Later, same issue. Pounded Enter key, hit escape, clicked mouse - nothing. Turned the computer off and back on again several times - the screen would show one of the tabs I'd had open, not normal boot screens. Then the screen would come back and all would be well - until it went to sleep and wouldn't wake up without powering off and on repeatedly. Started trying fixes for the problem, disabling sleep mode; all kinds of stuff. Checked monitor connections, which hadn't been wiggled, but still. Changed monitor cable - of course that wasn't it. Tried a different old monitor - and it worked just fine! My 2007 date garage sale monitor had actually failed! NOT an expected failure.

Like the 16:10 format, but not enough to pay big bucks to get that rarity now, so went with a 24" 16:9 vs the 22" diagonal I had. Skinny bezels on the new ACER and it spins 90 degrees (not important to me. $69 at Wallymart. Blow that dough! Works good, looks good, no Windows problem - whew!

Good to hear it was a monitor problem and not Win10.

One of my computers is still waiting on the 2004 update, all the others got it. That update sounds like a mess, they are holding it back due to hardware on the machine.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The mouse freezing on my Windows 10 PC returned a few weeks ago. The same mouse and dongle combination *does not* freeze on my old Windows 7 PC or my Linux Mint PC. There is something about Windows 10 on my PC (new purchase from Dell end of 2019 - clean install) and this combination that refuses to play nice.

At least the fix to the Internet hanging continues to work. :mad:
Did you purchase these at the same time? Exact same mouse and receiver model? Sometimes looking at the smallest details helps troubleshoot.

Did you purchase these at the same time? Exact same mouse and receiver model? Sometimes looking at the smallest details helps troubleshoot.
It the same physical mouse, keyboard, and receiver that was moved from PC to PC (no freeze ups on Windows 7 or Linux Mint). I had the same problem when I used a different keyboard (non-Logitech) with its own receiver on the Windows 10 PC. I've even cleared out and reprogrammed the receiver for the keyboard and mouse (with no other active devices around). Using wired devices works fine.

Windows 7 wasn't this fickle. It had it's own quirks, but I was to resolve or work around each of them. As I indicated, I fixed the network/Internet loss issue by disabling network software installed by Dell on a Dell-built PC. I tried uninstalling it, but Windows Update keeps re-installing it because Dell has set up the PC to require this software (and I can't figure out where). Thankfully, the software won't re-enable unless I choose to do so. If I do re-enable it, the network lockups return.

I have three USB devices plugged in: keyboard/mouse receiver (USB 2.0), Brother printer (USB 2.0), and one of external drives I leave plugged in (USB 3.0). The same setup as the Windows 7 PC. I've read all of the nonsense about USB conflicts, so even disconnecting the external drive and the printer USB cables from the PC does not remove the mouse cursor freeze ups. It is truly maddening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom