Windows 10

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Info on windows 10
Microsoft unveils Windows 10
Some rumors about 1 year free updates for Windows 7 and higher, but rumors not confirmed.

The access part sounds interesting... browsing by "gaze"... as in the camera looks at your eyes and responds... what next?

HoloLens... Holographic glasses..

Would guess that more news about this will explain the details in the next week or so. Seems as if upgrading all operating systems would mean big savings for microsoft.

Could subscription browsers be the future?

Last edited:
My fingers are crossed that Classic Shell will still work with Win 10 :)

My fingers are crossed that Classic Shell will still work with Win 10 :)

+1, else Linux.

Edit add: In my suburban have an old Toshiba running engine monitoring software, on win95.

Last edited:
I liked Windows 7 but never cared for W8 at all even though I do have one laptop running it. My other laptops are W7 and I still have XP running on one older desktop. Hopefully W10 will be better otherwise I'll stay with W7 as long as I can.

Have Windows 7 on most of my computers. Never cared for Windows 8.

Was at Costco last week, Was looking at HP laptops. Noticed they came with Windows 7 professional ?

Is this basically Windows 7? If so, would prefer buying this, rather than
windows 8. Not sure if windows 10 does away with "8", and goes back to
the window 7 format.

can anyone explain what windows 7 professional is? And what windows 10
is suppose to do.:greetings10:

Windows has come in different versions for each release, such as Starter, Home, Professional each with different features. Pro allows joining a domain plus other features, here's a list Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May not need classic shell ( great tool ) as the start menu returned as I thought it would. Windows 10 Start menu secrets every desktop pro should know | InfoWorld

I posted a link to preview release of 10 here, http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/windows-10-preview-73915.html

Have Windows 7 on most of my computers. Never cared for Windows 8.

Was at Costco last week, Was looking at HP laptops. Noticed they came with Windows 7 professional ?

Is this basically Windows 7? If so, would prefer buying this, rather than
windows 8. Not sure if windows 10 does away with "8", and goes back to
the window 7 format.

Not up on Win7 pro, but I recently held my nose and bought an HP with Win7 something (I had to ask specifically for Win7, not anything later) from COSTCO. Have never been a fan of HP laptops as they load them up with bloatware. A programmer wrote CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner) to take control of his machine back. However, with the help of CCleaner, I am pleased with my purchase. (Remember, COSTCO doubles the manufacturer's warrantee!). I do not plan to 'upgrade' to any other Windows product ever again. Linux (Mint, Cinnamon version) for almost everything from here on.

Microsoft ordered manufacturers to stop selling all but windows 7 professional in Oct 2014. Windows 7 pro was continued because it is used by large enterprises who take a long time to upgrade software (It allows one to join a domain etc)

I just bought one of these, with Win 8.1:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/TW801_Tablet_-_Black
I bought it to use when traveling to manage pictures, but I then resolved to learn the Metro interface. Really, not bad once you get used to it. Pains me to say, IE 11 is a really good tablet browser... I wanted a tablet that would do laptop when pressed, so far I'm happy with it.

I played with the Win 10 preview, it corrects some of the frustrations of 8.

Hoping that Microsoft offers that one year free upgrade... to level their playing field...
Windows 7 on my refurbs from Walmart.... $20 to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB.
HP Refurbished Silver DC5800 Desktop PC with Intel Dual-Core Processor, 2GB Memory, 80GB Hard Drive and DVD-CDRW and Windows 7 Home Premium (Monitor Not Included) - Walmart.com
Made a damned fool of myself trying to help another senior in my community. He bought a Windows 8 laptop and had no computer experience whatsoever.

After spending several minutes finding the "start" menu, and then psyching out the desktop, I found new meaning to the word "humility".
Don't try to "teach" what you don't "know". :blush:

Yeah, I am hoping for a free upgrade for my Win 8 laptop. I hate the Metro interface. It is a PITA avoid accidentally starting an app instead of a windowed program and to close apps once they are open.

The way I read it, Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to windows 7+ users on all platforms starting in October with the commercial release and lasting for one year at which point it will cost $X (price not yet announced).
To be clear - if you take advantage of the free upgrade during the offer period, there will be no additional cost. Pretty generous if you ask me.

Windows 10 upgrades will be free for existing Windows users -- at first | InfoWorld

Microsoft to make Windows 10 free to Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users | ZDNet

Last edited:
A free upgrade to Windows 10 is interesting, but I am cautious about committing, after having experienced the joy of Vista. I'll probably wait a while, to see how it pans out.

According to this, Windows 10 will not be subscription based.

:biggrin:

Windows as A Service = Windows WAS
Windows 10 = "We may have finally caught osX"

It will have a command window, so we'll be alright.

:biggrin:

I have no problem with Win 8.1. It's trivial to move to desktop mode and it has been very stable (more stable than Win7 for me). The free upgrade to 10 is interesting but I'm not sure I would bother since it would mean reinstalling all my programs I suspect. The new OS would be easy to do since I have the OS on a SSD and pretty much nothing else on it but still would be a PITA and of course the software you have would have to be compatible with the new OS

I read that Win 10 will be offered to Win 8 users first. So by the time Win 7 users get offered it, I'd imagine it will be working fine.

I downloaded the Windows 10 Insider Preview (x64) - Build 10130 and this is my first impression. I am running it in Virtualbox using Ubuntu.

Incredibly ugly. No transparencies, color gradients, 3d looks, colors, no borders on windows. Everything is flat and boring looking. The start menu is loaded with crap on the side that no one will use. Apps like Bing, News, Weather and Maps that are useless and annoying. Looks like made for 1992.

They should have just kept Windows 7 and updated it.

For now, I have joined the technical preview program and am in the process of downloading the iso files and the product keys.

I have no immediate plans to use it, but I wanted to at least have the "Beta" installation media/keys read to go so that if in a few year, I have a sudden need for it I will be ready.

I will likely probably do something similar during the first year once the official release becomes available at the end of next month. That is as long as it does not invalidate my current W7 product keys. Will need to read reviews to see how this works.

I may do a test load at some point under VirtualBox on my XP or W7 machine to verify the installation process.

-gauss

I reserved a Windows 10 copy from Windows 7, July 29th will be interesting. Decided to dedicate a SSD for this. Did a clean Windows 7 install and after several hundred updates I got the Win 10 icon and reserved a copy.

Could not upgrade in Virtualbox due to it complaining about the video driver.

Back
Top Bottom