Windows 10 Icon On Taskbar

zinger1457

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a laptop with Windows 8.1 and there's a new icon (4 squares) showing up on my taskbar on the right side with the other notification icons. Not sure how long it's been there, I just noticed it today. Clicking it opens a new window to register for the upcoming free version of Windows 10. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm still on Windows 95.

I don't think I'll update to Win 10 until I hear some reviews. I'm not that bold where operating systems are concerned.

If you don't want to see the icon - you can hide it.

On win8.1 you click on the little up arrow next to the notification tray. Then click "customize" You can set it to "hide icon and notifications"

If you don't want to see the icon - you can hide it.

On win8.1 you click on the little up arrow next to the notification tray. Then click "customize" You can set it to "hide icon and notifications"

So, at least on my laptop (Win7) this only works for as long as you have your 'puter on.

If you reboot, or turn off your computer, the next time it boots up tad...dah...the nagging icon is baaackk. :facepalm:

So, at least on my laptop (Win7) this only works for as long as you have your 'puter on.

If you reboot, or turn off your computer, the next time it boots up tad...dah...the nagging icon is baaackk. :facepalm:

I went ahead an uninstalled the update in via the control panel -> view installed updates -> uninstall recent updates.

Upon the next Windows Update, the update appeared again, but this time as an optional update. Then I right-clicked on that update and chose "hide".

Worked for me.

If after say, 6 months and their are reviews saying moving from Win 7 to 10 was painless, then I still have the option to turn the update back on and get the freebie update :).

Last edited:
I went ahead an uninstalled the update in via the control panel -> view installed updates -> uninstall recent updates.

Upon the next Windows Update, the update appeared again, but this time as an optional update. Then I right-clicked on that update and chose "hide".

Worked for me.

If after say, 6 months and their are reviews saying moving from Win 7 to 10 was painless, then I still have the option to turn the update back on and get the freebie update :).

I thought I read an on-line article of some add'l steps after uninstalling so that when the next "Patch Tuesday" hits for MS updates, the 'offending' patch doesn't get installed again.

As for me - Win7 works fine and I'm not a bleeding edge feature driven type of guy...heck I still play records and CDs and resistant to 'downloads'. All I need is an OS so I can launch a browser, type in Word, Excel, and the occasional Powerpoint - happy camper.

Win10 doesn't seem to offer anything for me except to say it is 'new' - not interested.

I thought I read an on-line article of some add'l steps after uninstalling so that when the next "Patch Tuesday" hits for MS updates, the 'offending' patch doesn't get installed again.

As for me - Win7 works fine and I'm not a bleeding edge feature driven type of guy...heck I still play records and CDs and resistant to 'downloads'. All I need is an OS so I can launch a browser, type in Word, Excel, and the occasional Powerpoint - happy camper.

Win10 doesn't seem to offer anything for me except to say it is 'new' - not interested.

I just a MS update and didn't see a reattempt to install again. I think the uninstall then hiding worked.

If I was 20 years younger, I'd probably like the bells and whistles of a new system. But the older I get, the more old fashioned :).

Though I must admit, there is a temptation to get a really cheap refurbished Win 7 computer for updated and testing just to see first hand yay or nay.

I just a MS update and didn't see a reattempt to install again. I think the uninstall then hiding worked.

If I was 20 years younger, I'd probably like the bells and whistles of a new system. But the older I get, the more old fashioned :).

Though I must admit, there is a temptation to get a really cheap refurbished Win 7 computer for updated and testing just to see first hand yay or nay.

Patch Tuesday for this month will be 6/9/15.

So when you go to shutdown your computer you'll get that "Do not turn off your computer" message as MS pushes out patch updates for June.

If I read/remember that article, the Win10 patch from April will show up as 'missing' from your computers patch list and it will get installed again on 6/9.

I could be wrong - it is software...and all magical mystery to me.:D

Patch Tuesday for this month will be 6/9/15.

So when you go to shutdown your computer you'll get that "Do not turn off your computer" message as MS pushes out patch updates for June.

If I read/remember that article, the Win10 patch from April will show up as 'missing' from your computers patch list and it will get installed again on 6/9.

I could be wrong - it is software...and all magical mystery to me.:D

What's the difference between Patch Tuesday and manually running Windows Update?

In my case, I uninstalled the Go to Win 10 update, then ran Windows Upate. When I saw MS wanted placed the update back in, but this time as optional, I hid the update. Then as a test I manually ran Windows Update again.

What's the difference between Patch Tuesday and manually running Windows Update?

In my case, I uninstalled the Go to Win 10 update, then ran Windows Upate. When I saw MS wanted placed the update back in, but this time as optional, I hid the update. Then as a test I manually ran Windows Update again.

Sorry - missed that last step you did.

If it's gone - then that's good!:dance:

Unitl we all hear that Win10 is wonderful, stable, reliable, foolproof....:cool:

Even if you clicked the Windows 10 icon and registered for it you'll still have control over when/if it's installed. Like others I plan on waiting for the initial bugs to get worked out.

It is hard to know now what Windows 10 will or will not offer us. So often I hear people say that thus-and-such doesn't work well for them only to find out it is because they're still using Windows XP or some previous release. So while we may be happy with the way things are now, time will pass anyway, and what gives us our happiness now may move on requiring us to keep up or take responsibility for our own disappointment that we didn't.

It is hard to know now what Windows 10 will or will not offer us. So often I hear people say that thus-and-such doesn't work well for them only to find out it is because they're still using Windows XP or some previous release. So while we may be happy with the way things are now, time will pass anyway, and what gives us our happiness now may move on requiring us to keep up or take responsibility for our own disappointment that we didn't.

But I hate change! :LOL:

From what I have read, Windows Media Center will be gone, and no way to get it back if you upgrade. Here is one article.

R.I.P., Windows Media Center | ZDNet

Not that I was planning to upgrade, but the only Windows PC I have is used solely for Media Center. I also have Media Center extenders so we can watch on our TVs. I've had this setup for over a decade and it's worked well. Nowadays only my wife uses it to watch local evening news in the morning. Everything else we can stream from our Amazon/Apple device. Naturally I won't be upgrading to Win10, but ideally I'd like to figure out an alternative solution and ditch Win7/Media Center completely.

Back
Top Bottom