Windows Vista Update from Dell

Spanky

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Received an offer from Dell to upgrade to Vista. You can download an utility to determine if your PC is ready for the update. They (Dell or Microsoft) must be kidding if they really expect me to upgrade the hardware as recommended, i.e., additional RAM, a different graphic card, a bigger disk, a faster CPU, etc.

For a minute I thought it says "Windows Vista Update from Hell" !!!

But that's quite understandable, as I work for HP :LOL:

Spanky said:
Received an offer from Dell to upgrade to Vista. You can download an utility to determine if your PC is ready for the update. They (Dell or Microsoft) must be kidding if they really expect me to upgrade the hardware as recommended, i.e., additional RAM, a different graphic card, a bigger disk, a faster CPU, etc.

I can't find that. Do you have a link?

ha

I just got back from a trip to Miami and found my new Toshiba laptop loaded with Vista had arrived. It looks pretty and they have changed the security model a bit - more of a push to use non-admin accounts but not strong enough. So far it has been OK but I have to search around for networking options that were second nature to me in XP. I don't like the Windows Exploerer format as well -- I can't get it to keep a directory tree on the left. Also, even logged in as admin I was not able to save changes in the hosts file (a system file) from Notepad. I had to save the changes in another file and copy it over the original.

Oh brother... just when I was ready to head up to CC to buy a new Toshiba lappie with Vista aboard. Now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe its a better idea to get a leftover XP job now thats Vista ready and decide on the upgrade later.

One guy said, "Yeah I'll upgrade to Vista but not until SP2." :LOL:

BUM said:
The "good" news is that he won't have to wait for long...

I can appreciate the marketing cynicism behind the phrase "Vista-ready".

Micro$oft loves Beta testers!!!

Once everyone with Vista starts finding the bugs and reporting them, then they'll create the "fixes" and release SP2.......and make thing work like they should have BEFORE they released it in the first place. Then, once everything seems to be running fairly smoothly.....BAM!!! "Microsoft announces it's latest/greatest Windows yet!!! So get yours TODAY!!!" The fine print: "requires only 400 GazillaBytes of Hard Drive space"

CyclingInvestor said:
I already did not like VISTA based on what I read about its
new 'features' (pointless changes to user interface, bloat),
after reading these I like it much less. When my fairly new
XP machine dies, I will be switching to Linux.

I'm with Cycling, I'll probably switch to LINUX the next time I "upgrade". I've had it on one of my machines for several years (Mandake 5 I think...maybe 6), and it works fine! Being an older version, it is a little 'clunkier' than the newer releases of Mandrake or (now) Mandriva, but it works.....for FREE! And it's NOT a resource hog like the bloated 'gates-ware'.

If anybody wants to "play" with Linux without installing it, you can download (for Free) either Mandriva 'Move' (at mandriva.com) or Knoppix (at knoppix.com). Burn it on a CD and go! If nothing else, it's a fun to play with on a wintery day!!! 8)

Why are you pondering an update? ( i am genuinely curious )

Personally, I don't see the point unless you have some
concrete reason to change what you've got.

this goes for any os/machine really.

BUM said:
Oh brother... just when I was ready to head up to CC to buy a new Toshiba lappie with Vista aboard. Now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe its a better idea to get a leftover XP job now thats Vista ready and decide on the upgrade later.

I don't know. If you are basically an MS guy and you want a new machine you may as well get Vista -- or just wait a few months and then get Vista. It is basically all they will be selling on new machines shortly.

As for Linux, I have been running it since about 1998 so I am a fan. Nevertheless, I continue to prefer Windows for my main PC in the kitchen and for any laptops I buy. The advantages of Linux are cost, stability, cost, lots of free open source applications, no MS, and cost. The disadvantages basically have to do with running ubiquitous applications like Word, Photoshop, etc., and drivers for some peripherals, compatibility with many laptops. There are almost always application alternatives in the open source world but, if you want to use the actual Windows or Windows/Mac only programs you need MS or a Mac.

For those considering a Linux desktop I would suggest Ubuntu - easy to install, good support, good security model. Try it on a PC that is a few years old - you don't need the latest, greatest.

I've been running Ubuntu since early last year and am very happy with it.

I'm not psyched to have layers and layers of DRM bloatware on my system. I'll hold off on Visa until its shown to be clearly superior to xp (and whatever else is available).

Back
Top Bottom