Winter Plumbing issues?

My main septic line just froze. I tried the plumber, but they couldn't get the power snake thru the blockage. That cost me $400.

So, I had to dig up the septic holding tank and rent a power water jet and send it up the pipe. It froze back in 2004/5 too, so I think there must be a flat spot or something in the line.

I will have to have them send a camera down this summer, as the line goes under my paved driveway. Could be real expensive if it needs work...

Two other unsolicited comments:
- If you ever have to dig up the septic tank again for this reason, consider adding two cleanouts (one pointed in each direction using a sanitary "T") to that problematic drainline leading to the septic tank. That way you could blast the frozen blockage with hot water without needing the backhoe.
- If you ever do have to dig up the sewer pipe under the driveway (e.g. to fix a broken pipe or to re-grade the pipe so it slopes well to the septic tank) you should add about 2" of rigid foam insulation across the entire trench just above the pipe. This will help reduce the heat flow at that area from the warmer soil below and keep the pipe slightly warmer during the winter. It might be enough to prevent more freeze-up problems in the future.

Back
Top Bottom