Women's World Cup

5-2 final. Well done USWNT! Excellent coverage by Fox! Put the guy in charge of soccer in charge of US Open golf!

Excellent game... score could have been much higher on both sides... many good scoring chances botched...

Glad to see USA win...

I'm nominating Carli Lloyd for Secretary of Education.

She schooled U.S. opponents in this World Cup!

Carli Lloyd is the weirdest world class professional athlete ever - SBNation.com

If the writer of that article or anyone else knew what soccer environment Lloyd came up through, they would be more like, "This girl's incredible. Somehow she plays with all these world class players who have better pedigrees and played year-round in sunny states, but she wins games."

Not only she tied the record for most goals scored in a World Cup final men's or women's but she was all over the field and received the Golden ball award for the most outstanding player to go along with the cup. I'll take this weirdest world class professional athlete any day of the week.

Last edited:
Not only she tied the record for most goals scored in a World Cup final men's or women's but she was all over the field and received the Golden ball award for the most outstanding player to go along with the cup. I'll take this weirdest world class professional athlete any day of the week.

Similar comparisons exist with USMNT player Timmy Chandler - an enigma to both fans & his coaches. One moment, he seems to be marking space on the field then another, he scores a goal like he did versus Guatemala on Friday. Like Carli Lloyd's coach Jill Ellis, Klinsmann sticks with Chandler because of moments like this one:

It's also the only cup final hat-trick to be scored in regular time, and will be the fastest hat-trick I think for a very long time. The only other World Cup final hatrick was completed in the 120th minute, whereas she scored hers within the first 17 minutes.

Awesome!!

Who ever heard of a hat trick in soccer ? Happy birthday USA courtesy of Carli !

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

If I am not mistaken, Germany had two people do it in one game at the beginning of this World Cup...

It is not as strange as you might think...

If I am not mistaken, Germany had two people do it in one game at the beginning of this World Cup...

It is not as strange as you might think...
FWIW
Scoring a hat-trick in a World Cup is a relatively rare event: only 50 hat-tricks have been scored in over 700 matches in the 19 editions of the World Cup tournament. [Lloyd's was only the second time in a final though]

The only World Cup not to have at least one hat-trick scored was the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.

The quickest [earliest in a game] hat-trick to be completed is Carli Lloyd's three goals during the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. She scored her third in the 16th minute, after scoring her first goal in the 3rd minute and her second in the 5th.

The briefest hat-trick to be completed - that is, the shortest time between the first and third goals - is the one by László Kiss in 1982 against El Salvador. He scored at 69', 72', and 76', making the time between his first and third 7 minutes. This is also the only hat-trick scored by a substitute.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_World_Cup_hat-tricks

Last edited:

Carli Lloyd.jpg

I am not much of a soccer fan, but that was no typical soccer game. Great game by our gals.

Guess we might as well post the (supposed) longest goal ever, 92 meters by one goalie vs the other. I didn't realize anyone could kick that far, much less score. You can't blame the losing goalie for not expecting this...

http://youtu.be/yU4_zv9DMz0

Excellent game and wonderful result for USWNT! That was quite the start - I rewound the DVR to replay the 1st goal for DH who hadn't joined us to watch yet - and by the time I finished that, we had missed the 2nd goal - amazing!

Highest viewership ever for a US Soccer match, men or women!

Fox and Telemundo finished with a combined 26.7 million viewers for the U.S.-Japan FIFA Women’s World Cup final last night, marking the most-viewed soccer match ever on U.S. TV. The match passes the '14 men’s World Cup final, which saw ABC and Univision draw 26.5 million viewers for Germany-Argentina. Fox finished with 25.4 million viewers for its telecast last night, passing last year’s U.S.-Portugal World Cup group stage match (18.22 million viewers) as the most-viewed English-language soccer telecast ever in the U.S. The ’99 WWC final on ABC – featuring U.S.-China – now ranks third with 17.98 million viewers.

Telemundo on its own drew 1.27 million viewers for last night’s U.S.-Japan match, marking the best Spanish-language WWC match ever, but well below the 9.2 million viewers for Germany-Argentina last year.

Back
Top Bottom