Women's World Cup

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
The finals are this weekend. US - Japan go for the gold, Germany - England for bronze. England lost a heartbreaker last night after playing a great match, the US slipped by Germany with one very nice goal and a little help from the ref (once again). It's fair to say all four teams are pretty evenly matched and both games this weekend should be very entertaining.

Yes the second goal was pretty. It looks like most think that there should have been a red card on the US foul and questionable whether the German foul should have been a PK. That's the way it sometimes goes though. Entertaining football.

The US-Germany game and the Germany-France game were the most exciting so far. I think the Germans were Exhausted after their marathon win against France and that worked to the US advantage as they were the fresher team.

Japan to me is the team the US wanted to play in the finals to revenge their 2011 cup's loss in penalty shutout. The US defense is very strong and has not allowed a goal in the last 4 games and only allowed one goal in the tournament. I would say the US would be favored to win and regain the number one world ranking from Germany.

England had never before got out of the group stages so they have had a fantastic World Cup. They played really well against Japan, had more shots on goal, struck the crossbar twice but, just like England's men, it was heartbreak city again with a freaky own goal in the very last minute.

The USA have never failed to make the semi finals so I was very hopeful prior to that game though I thought they were doomed when the defender pulled back the German attacker right in front of goal to give a penalty. Unbelievable that she wasn't red-carded for denying a goal scoring opportunity, and then the German penalty taker hit her shot wide :dance:. After that I just knew they were going to go on and win. I think they should beat Japan in the final who have really struggled to beat lower ranked opposition in Australia and England.

Olympic Champions v World Champions. I'm sure the organizers are delighted, there have been fantastic crowds at the games and great viewing figures throughout the tournament.

Final in Vancouver so it will be like a home game for the USA.

Watched the England/Japan game yesterday with my elderly English mother.. I rooted for Japan, since the English knocked out Canada... :eek:)

That was a heartbreaker of an English own goal. You know that single mistake will probably haunt that girl for the rest of her life..

I thought the Japanese looked crisp and in control in the first half and tired out and sloppy in the second half. If they play like that again in the final, it should be a USian victory.

Watched the US v Germany, great game for the most part.

Looking forward to the final. Go USA!

And the British GP too!

Definitely two good semi-final games. That 2nd US goal was one of the prettiest pieces of soccer in the whole tournament (IMHO). What a heartbreak for the English team, and unimaginable for the player who made the own goal.

USA defense has been stout, so hopefully they will win this rematch over Japan. Would love to see Abby Wambach with the game winner.

England men won their only soccer World Cup in 1966 so the press were trumpeting the ladies semi final as 1966 all over again.

Actually the semi finals were the USA and England against Japan and Germany so to me it sounded more like 1941 all over again. :hide:

Definitely two good semi-final games. That 2nd US goal was one of the prettiest pieces of soccer in the whole tournament (IMHO). What a heartbreak for the English team, and unimaginable for the player who made the own goal.

USA defense has been stout, so hopefully they will win this rematch over Japan. Would love to see Abby Wambach with the game winner.

Was discussing that US goal today. It involved 4 players, and I suspect being aligned like that was a coming together of skill, tactics, and creativity. And a lot of luck and misfortune as the coach had to make adjustments for various reasons.

There's Wambach near the touch line. Contrast that with her usual spot. She plays the ball back to someone who I can't place. And Lloyd shows for the ball in an open space, and takes the best route, to the endline. Gets off perfect cross to O'Hara. There's so much irony in that one play. Wambach is showing age, and gets pulled from the starting lineup. But back in the game as coach changes to a defensive strategy, being up 1-0. Lloyd is bad-mouthed on air by old coach in every game. And O'Hara, a new star for the team, comes in as defensive mid, but shows how to 'finish' off a team.

Carli Lloyd is the weirdest world class professional athlete ever - SBNation.com

If the writer of that article or anyone else knew what soccer environment Lloyd came up through, they would be more like, "This girl's incredible. Somehow she plays with all these world class players who have better pedigrees and played year-round in sunny states, but she wins games."

A well played match. Germany had more and better opportunities but was unable to capitalize, and England's Bardsley had some brilliant saves. A penalty kick gave England the victory and third place. I thought the second half was very exciting.

Last edited:
A well played match. Germany had more and better opportunities but was unable to capitalize, and England's Bardsley had some brilliant saves. A penalty kick gave England the victory and third place. I thought the second half was very exciting.

The whole game was pretty good...

I actually like the women's game better than men.... the men do not seem to attack as much... the women seem to put effort out all game long... men not as much...

I missed the game as we were traveling but it was a fantastic result. First time in 31 years that they have beaten them (20 attempts during that time).

Plus, they have now done better than any of the England men's teams since 1966. (England men have made the semi's twice, once in '66 when they went on to beat Germany in the final, and once in 1990 when they lost in a penalty shoot-out to Germany, and then lost to Italy to finish 4th).

Hopefully it will be a big boost to women's soccer in England, which is still very much a part time sport. The commentator on one of the games this last week said that one of the ladies was a financial analyst in the City (of London), and I thought how strange it was for me to me cheering on a financial analyst.

I did not watch the game as we were in a cookout but I'm glad England won after their heartbreaking defeat against Japan.

I missed the game as we were traveling but it was a fantastic result. First time in 31 years that they have beaten them (20 attempts during that time).
Too bad you missed it, they played well, and I thought the overall quality of play this time around was higher than in '11.

Fox Sports seems to have some confusion regarding kickoff time, both yesterday and today. Their website and the TV Guide report kickoff at 5:00 PM eastern time, while the FIFA website shows 4:00 PM local Vancouver time, which is 7:00 eastern.

I did not watch the game as we were in a cookout but I'm glad England won after their heartbreaking defeat against Japan.

No one does World Cup heartbreak better than England. No one.

So glad that the Lionesses found some partial vindication for their gut-wrenching loss to Japan in the semis.

Too bad you missed it, they played well, and I thought the overall quality of play this time around was higher than in '11.

Fox Sports seems to have some confusion regarding kickoff time, both yesterday and today. Their website and the TV Guide report kickoff at 5:00 PM eastern time, while the FIFA website shows 4:00 PM local Vancouver time, which is 7:00 eastern.

For sure today's final is at 4pm Vancouver time, 7 EST. I plan to be back in time to see it.

...Fox Sports seems to have some confusion regarding kickoff time, both yesterday and today. Their website and the TV Guide report kickoff at 5:00 PM eastern time, while the FIFA website shows 4:00 PM local Vancouver time, which is 7:00 eastern.

There is a 2 hours World Cup Pre-Game show from 5-7 pm and then game starts at 7 pm.

A 2-hour pre-game show for women's soccer.... who'd have thunk it!

There is a 2 hours World Cup Pre-Game show from 5-7 pm and then game starts at 7 pm.

A 2-hour pre-game show for women's soccer.... who'd have thunk it!
I don't doubt that's the case, despite the fact that they show 4:00 eastern as "Kickoff" and not "Pre-game". They must be thinking "kickoff of the pregame show".

Plus, they have now done better than any of the England men's teams since 1966. (England men have made the semi's twice, once in '66 when they went on to beat Germany in the final, and once in 1990 when they lost in a penalty shoot-out to Germany, and then lost to Italy to finish 4th).

Hopefully it will be a big boost to women's soccer in England, which is still very much a part time sport. The commentator on one of the games this last week said that one of the ladies was a financial analyst in the City (of London), and I thought how strange it was for me to me cheering on a financial analyst.

You missed a good one, Alan. I had no idea that women's [-]soccer[/-] football was in such low regard in England until the commentators mentioned it just about every 5 minutes in the 2nd half.

Really looking forward to this evening's game! DSIL and her family watched the USA semi-final with us on Tuesday and I think it was the first time any of them had watched a soccer match. Coincidentally, they'll be here tonight as well on their way back to CO tomorrow. So they are stuck with watching another match. :D

Something very different about soccer is the coach's impact on the game. Because there are only three substitutions possible, the choices are very limited, and the coach's selections have a huge impact on the game's outcome. In an extended outing like this tournament, the coach makes adjustments that are required, or doesn't, and the team has to work with the hand that coach deals for them. If there is an on-field playmaker, a lot can be overcome. I think that USA has enough playmakers that we won't see PK's, or so I hope.

You missed a good one, Alan. I had no idea that women's [-]soccer[/-] football was in such low regard in England until the commentators mentioned it just about every 5 minutes in the 2nd half.

Really looking forward to this evening's game! DSIL and her family watched the USA semi-final with us on Tuesday and I think it was the first time any of them had watched a soccer match. Coincidentally, they'll be here tonight as well on their way back to CO tomorrow. So they are stuck with watching another match. :D

I feel sure that if I had watched it they would have lost. I am not accustomed to watching England beat Germany in a World or European cup match.

Something very different about soccer is the coach's impact on the game. Because there are only three substitutions possible, the choices are very limited, and the coach's selections have a huge impact on the game's outcome. In an extended outing like this tournament, the coach makes adjustments that are required, or doesn't, and the team has to work with the hand that coach deals for them. If there is an on-field playmaker, a lot can be overcome. I think that USA has enough playmakers that we won't see PK's, or so I hope.

When I were a lad they were only allowed to name and use 1 substitute, so they have it easy these days. Joking aside, substitutes are a big factor in today's game as you say, and coaches can be heroes in the eye of the spectator depending on who is brought on and taken off. Ex-Ireland coach Mick McCarthy was interviewed once after he had made 2 substitutions late in the game while his side, Wolves, were losing at home 3-1. The crowd were screaming for his head because they didn't agree with the changes but the subs combined twice to make it 3-3. When asked about the subs he said, "I try to ignore the supporters at times like this. The team were playing really poorly and I actually wanted to replace our best player Martin Jarvis but I was afraid that if I put up number 11, the whole team would have come off"

Seriously, 4-0 already? I thought Japan was supposed to be good.

Amazing, but these things happen.

Almost exactly a year ago in the men's soccer world cup finals in Brazil, the very highly rated home team met Germany in the semi-final. Brazil 1 Germany 7, the biggest shock in many decades in the men's game. (some say the biggest shock ever in the game)

Japan are the only team so far to have a 100% record in these finals. Go USA :dance:

4-1 at the half. You never know...

Back
Top Bottom