World Cup starts tomorrow!

The US team's uniform was so ugly. I just hate the white stripe goes across, looks very weird. Can we have just a simple blue navy uniform!

the current uniform is a modern version of the 1950? usa uniforms
where the USA beat England in a world cup game. hence the "sash"
stripe. it's meant as a little tribute to the 1950 oldtimers

mh thanks for the explanation. Still it is ugly :) I like the simple uniform of most of the team in the world. Ie the Belgium team always red and has been known as the "red devel" , Germany white shirt with black short, Holland with orange, Brazil is yellow shirt and blue short, Italy blue shirt and white short....

The USA team uniform this year remind me of the disaster uniform of us team in 1994.

Friday morning, 9:30 AM on ESPN - Mexico vs South Africa - the opening game of the 2010 World Cup.

Just to keep things interesting, Chilean TV newscaster Claudia Conserva has promised to do her show naked if the Chilean squad wins the cup. TalCualDigital.com :: También se desnudará

I was rooting for Brazil but I'm open for a Chilean win as well :)

Guau!! (Spanish for wow!) Those Chilean ladies sure must have some cojones!

Uh, .. wait!..... that can't be right!!

LOL!

Gotta be honest, while I appreciate the athleticism, watching a World Cup match is like watching paint dry...........

I think this is the way we all feel when we are watching an activity that we are ignorant of.

Sometimes I will see cricket as I am channel surfing on TV, or eating at the local Indian restaurant. I will watch for a moment, but not understanding what constitutes a great moment of individual or team skill, or a great offensive or defensive move, I might as well be watching paint dry. I watch for a moment, maybe say "wow, that was athletic!," and then move on.

Fortunately, I learned a bit about soccer when stationed in Germany back during the Cold War. I had to go cold turkey on American football, ‘cause only the occasional game came up on AFN, and the live games were always on very late at night. But I made some German friends who introduced me to the intracacies of soccer, taking me to games and explaining what was going on. And so, in the throes of football (American) withdrawal, I became enamored with football (as the rest of the world knows it). The game is all about patterns – and one can sense a pattern developing, and anticipate it. Sometimes there will be a great offensive combination, which may them be met with a great defensive play, and no one scores -- but it is still fascinating. But, of course, only if you understand what you are looking at.

But I feel compelled to mention that odd American activity known as “baseball.” Like 90 percent of Americans of my generation, I grew up on it. I played little league for many years, and I understand the rules and the tactics and lingo. But I also remember some games where, as a player, I would be in the outfield the whole game and not one ball would come my way!! Literally, I would be standing in one spot, or moving slightly from side to side, while doing nothing that even remotely smacked of exercise. So while some spectators, particularly those foreign to the game, might also liken watching baseball to watching paint dry, I learned to understand what it was like to be the paint!

I will be watching many of the World Cup games over the next few weeks, and rooting on the United States team. But if the U.S. falls by wayside, then I will be rooting for my second choice: Deutschland!

OhSoClose

Last edited:
I think what frustrates some watchers is that soccer can be a very low scoring game when the teams are well matched. I played soccer for many years and it was a blast of a game to play. But I'd rather watch tennis, and that is the only sport I watch other than olympics.

Audrey

I think what frustrates some watchers is that soccer can be a very low scoring game when the teams are well matched. I played soccer for many years and it was a blast of a game to play. But I'd rather watch tennis, and that is the only sport I watch other than olympics.

Audrey

I hear you Audrey. But, of course, soccer blows away all other world sports, both in terms of the numbers of people who participate and the numbers who watch. At least, among male viewers. Perhaps not female.

OhSoClose

When I watch the WC on TV I am reminded of my chronic tinnitus. What's with the constant buzzing? ( I know, I read about those horns)

vuvuzela2.jpg

Today we saw the beginning of the FIFA World Cup 2010, and something that caught the attention of millions of viewers is the buzzing sound you hear throughout the games. This sound is made by a trumpet called the Vuvuzela.

Audrey

You have to go outside of the USA to have the feel how people around the world celebrate/watch the world cup. I remember staying up all night (and many nights) with friends to watch live matches.

For some reason, this game never caught on in the US. If it were, the US would win the Cup long ago - with all the resource available.

I am not a fan for all the normal American reasons. At least part of the reason is the silly talk of that USA tie is just a like a win. Ok I understand strategically why this is true, but even low scoring hockey instituted overtime for playoff games.

... but even low scoring hockey instituted overtime for playoff games.

This round is not quite a playoff yet - starting next round, when you have only 16 teams left, there will be no tie.

FIFA.com - The matches of 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

If the USA team advances to the next round as second place in the group - they will face Germany - I watched Germany vs Australia yesterday. We don't want to face them yet next round.
To avoid that, USA team must come out of the group in first place.

For some reason, this game never caught on in the US. If it were, the US would win the Cup long ago - with all the resource available.

Three reasons I can see:

1) The best U.S. athletes tend to go where the money is (baseball, football, basketball).

2) U.S. sports fans want more scoring.

3) U.S. sports fans can't stand to see games end in a tie.

There's almost nothing that's anathema to a typical U.S. sports fan more than watching something go on for two hours ending in a 0-0 or 1-1 tie.

Three reasons I can see:

1) The best U.S. athletes tend to go where the money is (baseball, football, basketball).

European soccer leagues offer salary comparable to NBA. Since they have the market over there. So it comes down that we don't have the market here to get soccer going.

And the biggest reason in my opinion is - the game is a continuous game - no timeout - therefore, there is no commercial breaks = no money for the networks.

Guau!! (Spanish for wow!) Those Chilean ladies sure must have some cojones!

Uh, .. wait!..... that can't be right!!

LOL!

Audrey, with all due respect- No Spaniard worth his salt would say "Guau" meaningyour "Wow".... We would most likely say something like "joder". But not in the sense of an exclamatory "Fu**!" but rather along the "Holy S***!" lines:D:D

European soccer leagues offer salary comparable to NBA. Since they have the market over there. So it comes down that we don't have the market here to get soccer going.
Yes, but opportunities for Americans there are probably limited, and a lot of people don't want to play half way around the world.

And the biggest reason in my opinion is - the game is a continuous game - no timeout - therefore, there is no commercial breaks = no money for the networks.

Actually MLS is doing pretty well it seems. Teams are building their own
stadiums and ticket sales are decent. People even compare it to
the english championship league (the 2nd level league in england)
in terms of number of fans , quality , etc. That says a lot really.
Lots of countries would love to have a league that good.

We've got two MLS teams here in L.A. in a nice soccer specific stadium
and no american football team. So things are looking up :)

There's almost nothing that's anathema to a typical U.S. sports fan more than watching something go on for two hours ending in a 0-0 or 1-1 tie.

I guess you won't like cricket either where a game lasting 5 days often ends in a tie, and a "Test Series" of 5 such games also often ends in a tie.

I guess you won't like cricket either where a game lasting 5 days often ends in a tie, and a "Test Series" of 5 such games also often ends in a tie.
I'm not saying I won't like it. But in my observation of most American sports fans, low scoring games and (especially) games ending in a tie are despised.

Frankly, I despise artificial, contrived ways to *force* a winner and a loser that aren't a natural continuation of a game, such as (yecch) shootouts. Why not decide baseball games with a home run derby? Or (American) football games with a contest to see who can punt the ball the farthest?

When the World Cup final can end in a shootout, something stinks to high heaven.

Audrey, with all due respect- No Spaniard worth his salt would say "Guau" meaningyour "Wow".... We would most likely say something like "joder". But not in the sense of an exclamatory "Fu**!" but rather along the "Holy S***!" lines:D:D

Vicente, I guess those Spaniards are just more salty than us gringos. I met a woman at a dance who called herself "Concha". I thought I must have heard it wrong, but when she wrote her phone there it was "Concha, (206)...-...."

I'm not saying I won't like it. But in my observation of most American sports fans, low scoring games and (especially) games ending in a tie are despised.

If it is scoring that counts then maybe you might like cricket :) Each side has 2 innings and typical score hundreds of runs per innings.

As for soccer, I think it is a wonderful game, particularly for young kids who run their legs off.

Alan- Is cricket as boring as it appears to be...:D? I hope this rather impertinent question doesn´t result in my having my head bitten off:LOL:!!

I have tried watching a couple of matches but I don't know the game rules or strategy. Besides that the constant din of the vuvuzela horns remind me of a crazed swarm of cicadas so I gave up.

I have tried watching a couple of matches but I don't know the game rules or strategy. Besides that the constant din of the vuvuzela horns remind me of a crazed swarm of cicadas so I gave up.

I mute it; those horns are totally annoying.

I don't know why the broadcsters don't isolate the booth from the noise. Maybe they are afraid of criticism which is always easily come by. I enjoy futbol but I detest this droning.

Ha

Frankly, I despise artificial, contrived ways to *force* a winner and a loser that aren't a natural continuation of a game, such as (yecch) shootouts. Why not decide baseball games with a home run derby? Or (American) football games with a contest to see who can punt the ball the farthest?

When the World Cup final can end in a shootout, something stinks to high heaven.

The problem is that if there is not a shootout.... the game can go on forever...

The problem is that if there is not a shootout.... the game can go on forever...

What's wrong with shootout? I love shootout. Lot of skills go into the penalty kick (shootout) too. In fact, players are often practice for that.

That is the rule of the game. If teams don't want shootout try to win it in the regular and overtime :)

Alan- Is cricket as boring as it appears to be...:D? I hope this rather impertinent question doesn´t result in my having my head bitten off:LOL:!!

the 5 day game can be pretty boring, although many including myself really enjoy it - it is a game of skill, mental strength and endurance.

One Day games and 20-20 games are very exciting. When I played it was always 20-20 as the games were usually played on work nights so you only had 2 - 3 hours of light.

In the 20-20 version, each side gets to bowl ('pitch') 20 overs, each over consisting of 6 'pitches'. The winner is the side who scores the most off their 120 'pitches', and the scores are usually well over a 100 runs each.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom