Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about the results against Switzerland, Vicente. That's a shocker. There'll be other games, and Spain is still favored to do well.

One thing about sports with very few scoring opportunities--a single play can make a big difference. Some people like this--they believe it offers excitement. Others are uncomfortable that it reduces the importance of skill and increases the importance of luck.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MichaelB: I´m not going to justify our loss to Switzerland. All that hype kicked up by our media surely put a lot of pressure on the team. But you have noticed how disappointing -except Germany- are resulting the half dozen favourites in their first matches.
As we say around here, football is football.
We have to win on Saturday. Honduras is, on paper, an easy adversary. But so was Switzereland....

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #63

Samclem: Some of us -impenitent pesimists- feared this result if only as an irrational reaction to our overzealous media cheering, lionizing and pushing our footballers. The same media that will tear the team apart if they don´t beat Honduras on Saturday.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
MichaelB: I´m not going to justify our loss to Switzerland. All that hype kicked up by our media surely put a lot of pressure on the team. But you have noticed how disappointing -except Germany- are resulting the half dozen favourites in their first matches.
As we say around here, football is football.
We have to win on Saturday. Honduras is, on paper, an easy adversary. But so was Switzereland....
Switzerland played a bit like the US did against them when they beat spain last year.

really solid in the center of defense and midfield. and containing the one effective wide player (navas) well enough. And then counterattacking
against them. Spain is not very good at recovering when the ball gets behind them.

Everybody knows how spain likes to play. If Spain doesn't change up their game a bit and become a little less predictable in their tactics they could be in trouble if they don't get early goals.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #65

mh:

You are probably right. We are stuck with what the media calls our "engaging, charming, alluring, exciting....way of playing". A lot of people are "in love" with this style.
Thatñs all very well, but we are there to win first.....
Old 06-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Saw an article.... they are now blaming the ball!!!

Saying that it moves in the air different than other balls...

To me, that seems strange since you would think there would be more scoring if the keeper can not figure out where it is going...
Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Last night when I watching a recap of the Brazil-North Korea match on TV they mentioned that the NK fans in the crowd were Chinese folks paid by NK's leader to attend and waive NK flags and banners.

Sounds about right.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

To me, that seems strange since you would think there would be more scoring if the keeper can not figure out where it is going...
Yeah, I've seen interviews where they claim that it is taking the players a while to get used to the ball, making long passes and getting it under control etc.

For some reason the Germans have been using the ball for 6 months compared to the 3 weeks the rest have had access to it. Implication being that familiarity contributed to their 4-0 demolition of Australia.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry pal, but I think you have us to reckon with! And England and Holland and Brazil and......
Los suizos Lo siento mi amigo.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #70

Quote:
Vicente, it was an excellent match and the Swiss goal was, well, ugly. I love watching Spain play, and they are clearly the team to be reckoned with. They can still make it to the next round – lots more games to play.

Usually the best teams play very mediocre games in the first round. When they make it to the second round, with 4 wins needed to become champion., they step it up.

Quote:

They said the same thing in ’06 and ’02. Then, they start scoring goals and everybody forgets about the new ball...

ánimo Vicente que aún falta mucho
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yeah, I've seen interviews where they claim that it is taking the players a while to get used to the ball, making long passes and getting it under control etc.

For some reason the Germans have been using the ball for 6 months compared to the 3 weeks the rest have had access to it. Implication being that familiarity contributed to their 4-0 demolition of Australia.
The MLS (USA league) and others have been using it for quite a while if i remember correctly. You could buy them in the store months and months ago. The english prem league wasn't using it because they had some kind of deal w/ (nike?). So it's the leagues that had a deal w/ other companies for footballs that have not 'seen' it.

The US thumped australia pretty well in a friendly before the world cup a week or so ago. So the real answer for the score is more likely that the aussies seem to be "troughing" just in time for the world cup
Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #72

I'm glad I have not been betting on who should win. I may have had to return my big screen. Hot Hazy and Humid has moved in here so I will be watching France and Mexico this afternoon and England and Algeria tomorrow afternoon. (Go England) I have committed to build some cabinets by the end of next week so that is eating into my soccer time. Oh well I am enjoying that too as long as it stays cool in the workshop.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys are underestimating the victory of Switzerland against Spain. There is now a good possibility of Brazil x Spain right in the next phase.

"Rumo ao Hexa!!"
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
The MLS (USA league) and others have been using it for quite a while if i remember correctly. You could buy them in the store months and months ago. The english prem league wasn't using it because they had some kind of deal w/ (nike?). So it's the leagues that had a deal w/ other companies for footballs that have not 'seen' it.

The US thumped australia pretty well in a friendly before the world cup a week or so ago. So the real answer for the score is more likely that the aussies seem to be "troughing" just in time for the world cup
Thanks for the follow up explanation
Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #75

Right now we are busy eating humble pie. And bracing ourselves against Honduras. As we say around here, now our team have "los cojones de corbata"and they´ll have to "apretar un huevo contra otro"
Anyone needs a translation? I bet Audrey doesn´t know these ones! Well, it woudn´t be proper language for a nice, charming lady like her.

PS.
Haha, MichaelB and Alan won´t need any translation, them being tough and worldly!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Spanish is easy. I know a few words, and lots of other words look similar to their English counterparts
Quote:
"apretar un huevo contra otro"
means "Appreciate the eggs, contrary to otters".
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

¡Mexico gana!

Mexico ganó por 2-0 contra Francia.

I was eating in my favorite fish bar, and was the only one in position and not too busy to see each goal on a tiny TV behind the filleting and shucking counter.

I announced them to my friend Ever and the other Mexicans working there and they put up a real cheer. I had to leave before the game was over, but I am glad to see that they held on.

Ha
Old 06-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #78

Viva Mexico! Glad to see them beat the French after what happened to Ireland. It'll take a miracle for the French to make it out of the group. Vicente, you gotta be happy about that!

Can't wait for the US-Slovenia game tomorrow!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Mexico ganó por 2-0 contra Francia.

I was eating in my favorite fish bar, and was the only one in position and not too busy to see each goal on a tiny TV behind the filleting and shucking counter.
Ha
Así se ve el fútbol. Con una cerveza, ¿verdad?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Spanish is easy. I know a few words, and lots of other words look similar to their English counterparts

means "Appreciate the eggs, contrary to otters".
Better practice a bit before your next trip to a mexican restaurant or you're gonna be really surprised at what they serve you...