Worthless collectibles before you go on that spending spree?

I have gone potty for pots by which I mean American produced art pottery prior to 1960...Hull, Roseville, McCoy, etc. Yeah, my son will be cursing me someday:LOL:

I just dumped alot of McCoy, because, after pricing it, found it wasn't worth schlepping across the country again and that stuff is heavy; but your Roseville...wow...I'd just love to have a big collection of that. Now that's a worthy collection and should escalate in value I would think. I hope you clue your son into what the value is on that stuff even now$$$$$.

Since a couple folks have mentioned collectible plates, I have a ton of hand painted vintage plates--alot by some lady marked 1903, so they're old. Anyway, this is what I plan to do with mine but over the bed instead of the kitchen or dining room. Just wanted to do something creative with them that was different (scroll down the page for all the ideas). I really like the falling plate appearance of the last set that is over the stove.

http://www.gaitainteriors.com/blog/?p=1031

Since a couple folks have mentioned collectible plates, I have a ton of hand painted vintage plates--alot by some lady marked 1903, so they're old. Anyway, this is what I plan to do with mine but over the bed instead of the kitchen or dining room. Just wanted to do something creative with them that was different (scroll down the page for all the ideas). I really like the falling plate appearance of the last set that is over the stove.

Wildly Creative Ways to Use Plates as Wall Decoration «

I agree, I like that one a lot. I have a number of similar plates that were my MIL's, I might try a hanging like that. Much better than the usual symmetrical display that ends up looking so old lady. I wonder what is the best way to hang them.

063008_kitchenwall.jpg

I've never really been into collecting things...but I do enjoy my coins and guns.

I agree, I like that one a lot. I have a number of similar plates that were my MIL's, I might try a hanging like that. Much better than the usual symmetrical display that ends up looking so old lady. I wonder what is the best way to hang them?"

Martha, I plan to get plate hangers from WalMart and hang them that way. I like the way these plates look like they are dripping down the wall with some of them slightly overlaying the other. Very creative and different I thought (I can just feel the men reading this going zzzzzzzzzz..haha!).
You could always make outlines of the plates on paper and use painter's tape (the blue stuff) to tape the outlines to the wall before you actually start nailing anything. And I bought those professional picture hangers/nails with the needlike nails at Lowes, so if you pull it out cause if it's hung wrong they leave no marks on the walls like regular nails leave.

The reason I'm going to "drip" them down the bedroom wall is I have no headboard and don't want one either, and I don't want that old lady thing of putting plates in the dining room or kitchen. Too cliche. This is different and more creative to me. (Apologies to those of you with the plates in the dining room and kitchen.)

....and I loves me guns, too. I just rejoined the NRA, but can't seem to get anyone here to do it sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my early working years I went on a dishes binge and got quite a few different early and mid 20th century pieces. I have a bunch of Riviera ware (colorful like fiesta ware but less hefty). We used them as regular dishes for a long time. Then about 15 years ago I saw a Riviera mug for sale for $90 and quit using them. I just might pull out the set again as I like the dishes.

I also have a bunch of depression ware glass which probably doesn't keep up with inflation. My everyday dishes are an occupied Japan set. Pretty. Not worth a whole lot but beats Corelle. :)

It is funny... one of my sisters was going to start collecting depression glass... I don't think she did... but who knows for sure...... BUT, the funny thing is that my mom and dad used to buy CASES of the stuff... it was very very cheap back then and they were in a carnival and gave it away as prizes... I think they had a few cases of it left when I was very young, but got rid of it...

If you want a worthless collection.... try STAMPS... my dad collected stamps for a LONG time... maybe a decade after he died my mother brought them out for me to look at... I found a book that valued them and was surprised surprised!!! LOOK... this one is worth $5... this one $10... man, we got a LOT of money here.....

Until I figured out the book was in cents.... :nonono: Don't know where they are today... maybe my brother has them....

My collectible weakness is a complete collection of John D. MacDonald's pulp fiction from the 1950s through 1980s, most of which were only printed as paperbacks, fragile old things.

They are great, but why does the beautiful, sexy woman always get offed?

Ha

If you want a worthless collection.... try STAMPS...

But what a fun and educational hobby for a boy! ( I'm sure it would be the same for a girl, I just never knew a girl stamp collector.)

I loved the art, and I loved looking up the places on a map or globe, and reading about them in the encyclopedia.

Ha

The reason I'm going to "drip" them down the bedroom wall is I have no headboard and don't want one either, and I don't want that old lady thing of putting plates in the dining room or kitchen. .

Here in earthquake country, this sounds like a chic but terrible idea. If your area is at all prone to earthquakes, please don't hang the plates over the headboard of your bed! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Late 80's and early 90's, I bought 4 or 5 Bill Bass holiday 'cat' plates ("Santa Paws", "Mewing in the New Year", etc.) for the wife as Christmas presents. Paid $30 a pop. Never thought they'd be worth a fortune, but always figured we could get our money back if sold. Had to laugh when I looked them up on E-bay and they were going for $2-$5.

Here in earthquake country, this sounds like a chic but terrible idea. If your area is at all prone to earthquakes, please don't hang the plates over the headboard of your bed! ;)
''

Or even if your bed is prone to earthquakes. :)

My husband and I used to collect...him more than me. I got so tired of looking at all that old stuff that literally filled my basement. Had my auction before the recession, thank goodness, so people were still buying. Never, never again will I collect anything.

I have a friend that is a big stamp collector. However, he says don't collect anything made for collecting. He considers anything less than 100 years old 'trading material'. He says if you know what you are doing and you stick with civil war and before, you can do ok. He buys stamp collections in bulk from estates and looks for the one or two stamps that might make it worth while, the rest he sells cheap.

My late husband collected autographs when he was younger . Most were not worth anything but in the pile was a autographed picture of Babe Ruth . I sold it for $2600.I still have a baseball autographed by the Brooklyn Dodgers.

For the last few years I've been collecting Salvation Army receipts. :D

Back in the Beanie Baby craze, a friend and I were eating lunch at an Indian restaurant. He was talking to me, but I couldn't hear him because I was focused on the conversation at the table behind him. One woman was regaling her table mates with stories of how she had gotten the purple Princess Di bear and how that one alone was going to put her son through college, and on and on. I had to apologise after lunch to my friend for being rude, but it's hard not to watch a train wreck as it occurs.

DW is a collector. Not for value, just because she likes stuff. Or as George Carlin calls it, sh!t. She has Starbucks mugs from the various cities we've visited, Ugly dolls, hands (rubber glove mold forms), ceramic cows in various costumes, all sorts of crap.Plus we've still got all the old hobnail glass and silhouttes her mom had collected. I can't say much, because she puts up with me even though I'm an a-hole, but it's annoying. Now that she's found some active interests, she seems to be cutting back on the passive (collecting). Hope springs eternal. :angel:

With some small exceptions all that stuff, you spent money and time and research to collect, will end up in a garage/estate sale.

I notice that anything sold as an 'investment collectible' does not maintain its value over the years. Items that are great design and quality at the time of manufacture have the potential to maintain or increase in value. Those Story Book Dolls probably sold for $10 in the 40s, average $60-$100 in new condition today. Not really great "return on investment" but they brought enjoyment to young girls at the time which also has value.

I too inherited high design California pottery from the 30s, not for sale.

My MIL collects Hummels. She used to live in Germany and brought collection back with her.

True story, my BIL in his younger and wilder days had a party and broke one of them. He superglued it back together.
2 weeks later my wife is crying (she was younger then too) and her mother asked her what was wrong and she said her brother broke a hummel and superglued it back together.

To this day they cannot figure out which one he superglued- he did that good a job repairing it.

I have a few guns. I just gave a very nice one away.
Oh...what a lovely thing to do. Handing down an item that is precious to you can be so rewarding. :) I'm sure your gift was very much appreciated.

I'm enjoying this thread it is so timely. My sister scored tickets to the the Antiques Road Show last month in Washington DC. It was fun spending time with sis and seeing the behind the scenes of the show.
Basically it is a long, though very well organized gue...say two hours... just the have your 15 seconds with the appraiser. That is about how long it takes to be told that you lugged a worthless piece of crap on a train from Philadelphia. However it was not all bad. I did not have to pay for the appraisal and hubby and I along with sis and nephews spent a lovely weekend in Alexandria Va. Highly recommend King street we had a blast.

Wildly Creative Ways to Use Plates as Wall Decoration «

Thanks for another unique thread, OF.:flowers:

Love the caption on this one, “Vintage all the way, and as charming as can be.” The stove and window are exactly what I have in the kitchen of my 1912 apt. When I moved in, my first purchase was a stainless steel pot just like the one on the stove but I hated using it. The cabinets were last redone in the ‘70s, and when I added some crockery and especially a CorningWare tea pot for boiling water from the ‘70s, I felt at home there for the first time.

Attachments

• 063008_kitchenwall.jpg
    063008_kitchenwall.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom