Have you given up on DIY?

My wake-up call came when I changed my car oil a few years ago. I don't use a jack. I use ramps for the front, and wheel chocks behind the back tires. And I would use two jack-stands up front for extra protection sometimes, which probably doesn't really add that much extra protection. Then again, after I made this mistake a few years ago, I discovered maybe they do add some protection...I'm not sure. But it did prove my wheel chocks worked.

The mistake I made, was backing off the ramps when I finished, while forgetting to remove the wheel chocks, and the two jack-stands! Forgetting to remove one protection mechanism would have been bad enough, but I forgot to remove both! All I knew was, the car wouldn't back up for no more than a few inches. I thought my gears were stuck or something. I even burnt a little rubber, trying to back off my ramps. I finally got out the car, and saw the two front jack-stands titled between the tire rubber and the frame (on each side), with the front tires almost ready to fall off the ramps. That's how I was burning rubber. It even scraped some of the red paint off my red jack-stands. That's where that red smoke was coming from. The only thing that stopped me from backing my car all the way off the ramps, and onto the jack-stands, was my two wheel chocks behind my back tires. That caused me to burn rubber on my back tires too. Luckily, I was able to drive forward again back onto the ramps, and remove everything. Then I was able to back off the ramps.

I've been very careful not to let this happen again since then, but like I said, that may have been a sign to stop doing my own oil changes. It isn't like I don't feel more senior moments as I get older. Anyway, what happened that day could have been a lot worst. But I don't change my own oil just to save money. The other reason is, my model uses exactly 3.7 quarts of oil. Anything over that, will leave my oil above the full mark. I didn't know that until I had my car for about a year, after I had bought it brand new. I was under a free oil change program from my dealership, that lasted for the first 60,000 miles. The first few weeks I had the car, I would smell bad smoke when I went over 75 or 80 mph. I thought it was my new car engine breaking in, plus I don't drive that fast too often. But I told the dealership about this problem anyway, and they said my car was okay. But I noticed my oil would be over the full mark, when they would change my oil. They told me this was normal.

A few years later, I heard stories about my particular model having a problem with gasoline getting into the oil. I understand it didn't happen on all the models of this type. Rumors were it was more of a problem for people who lived in colder climates. Anyway, they gave us an additional 6 years on our power-train warranty regardless. Then one day, I found out my 1.5L turbo engine only took 3.7 quarts of oil, while the 2.4L engine, that looks identical, takes 4 quarts. After I found that out, I changed my own oil the next time, and my oil stick was right at the full mark were it belonged. So I don't know how many time they put in 4 quarts, instead of 3.7 quarts, but I've been changing my own oil since. But last February, I was due for my first transmission fluid flush, at the same time I was due an oil change. It was so cold, I decided to let them do the oil change, along with the transmission fluid flush. This being a different dealership, I trusted them to put the right amount of oil in. I wound up checking my oil anyway a week later, and it was pass the full mark again.

It seems these mechanics, even at the dealership, are too lazy to do the right thing, and use a measuring cup to get exactly 3.7 quarts of oil, and will instead just pour in 4 1-quart containers of oil in my engine, as though it were a 2.4L engine. They don't expect me to check behind them. Anyway, this is why I still change my own oil, even though I've gotten older. But I'm going to have to find somebody I trust, sooner or later. Too bad I can't even trust these professionals to do a simple oil change. I'm sure glad I discovered the issue about the oil changes in time. The bad part is, some of them may have been doing it on purpose, knowing I wasn't the mechanic type that would check behind them...like I wasn't at one point. You can't be sure if they're even changing your oil at all these days, if you don't see them change it with your own eyes.

Last edited:
What a great & interesting thread, full of both wise and entertaining comments!

Was a DIY-er most of my life - to "save money" or not spend money that I did not have. Oil changes, car repairs, minor electrical, plumbing, carpentry, around the house. Mowed the lawn and loved it! I think I enjoyed blowing snow (Chicago burb) because DW said I always had a smile on my red face when I was out there covered in snow!

Retired at 62, heart attack at 63 and that changed everything. Hired grass, snow, auto, because I HAD to during recovery. Found out I did not miss the DIY stuff. Also realized that years of DIY had helped create a nice nest egg.

So now with a stix-n-brix in Indiana, and another in Florida, we hire it all. Have developed our "go-to" vendors that we trust and pay well - plumber, electrician, painter(s), landscaper, car repair, pretty much everything. Now 75 I have little desire to DIY; prefer to spend time with friends and neighbors, wining and dining, travelling, and reminiscing about the good old days when I was ABLE to DIY!
With the exception of lawn mowing, I have a very similar story. After my heart surgery last year, I was bummed out when my doctor made it clear that my snow blowing days were over. I genuinely enjoyed doing the snow removal.

Lifetime DIY'er. But at 68, with good financials, the short version is - I'm more selective.

I DIY if I find it interesting, if I think I can do a better job with less effort then dealing with some one to hire, or there is significant financial gain to DIY (and it's easy enough).

-ERD50
I'm a LOT more selective. I'm basically down to replacing various filters in the house, replacing an electrical outlet, etc. After my heart attack last year, I found that there are a couple of physical tasks that, while are not exertion, are difficult for me due to the physical doing of it...mainly anything where my arms are extended for a period of time.
I would love to give up most dyi, but I can’t find any one to do the little projects. I had a whole list of them, called and left messages, called again and sometimes again with no answer. I finally begged my brothers to help me with a couple I simply couldn’t do myself, did a couple I could do and left the rest.
On my local town's Facebook page (i.e., not the government site but started by residents) I see many requests for help with small jobs, and replies from handymen willing to do such jobs. It could be worthwhile to look for a similar Group for your town.

For those of you interested I completed my request for painting/repair quotes and have chosen a company to move forward with. Very interesting process and it went well. Everyone showed up when they said they would and provided timely quotes. All reputable companies who provided detailed quotes outlining repairs needed, type of paint/color and number of coats.

My house is 2 story and ~1750 square feet with a garage that is attached to the house but sticks out so there is additional siding to be repaired/painted. I chose 3 companies, highly rated and have been in business at least 15 years.

I'm getting 3 things completed. Full exterior house painting with everything repaired, 12 x 16 wood deck stained and some interior painting.

Total quotes for all work done including sales tax are:
Company 1 - $15,179
Company 2 - $16,336
Company 3 - $12,961
I have no problem paying more for quality work. With each company we walked around the outside/inside house, discussed repairs and any additional information.

Company 1 basically stated that they would require 1/2 day work on exterior repairs and listed $200 for materials. $200 to me didn't seem enough for the repairs needed. Listed some repairs. Wanted $1,600 to stain the deck which to me seemed very high.

Company 2 found many repairs that I did not see and pictures of each repair. Same $1,600 to stain the wood deck. :confused: Interior painting was $1,800 more than the first company. Plus they had a scheme going where you get 10% if you sign within a week. The price I showed you above includes the 10% discount. Didn't care much for that scheme, just give me your best price good for 30 days.

Company 3 found even more exterior repairs, many more. This guy was good. He had a large stick to tap around where he couldn't reach to see if there was wood rot. He found a lot more than the others. He told me that he found other companies tend to miss many repairs and then raise their costs to reflect the additional repairs after they already started. He tries to catch it all at the time of the quote to help prevent surprises. After all the repairs - which he provided details of each repair to be done, he was still the cheapest by ~$500. His quote on the wood deck was $585, over 1k cheaper than the others. And his interior quote was the lowest. He also stated they painted a house right down the street about 8 months ago so I could see the quality he does and talk to the homeowner. I remember talking to this new homeowner around when he had it done and he was very pleased with the quality of their work.

Needless to say I went with company 3. He is very busy and will not be able to complete the project until 3rd week in October. Since I am not going to do any of this I have to pay the piper. :LOL:

Glad this part of the process is over and can now move forward. Will keep you updated of any changes and when the job is completed.

Just one question for y'all. Will this qualify for my first entry in the Blow that dough thread?

Last edited:
It seems these mechanics, even at the dealership, are too lazy to do the right thing, and use a measuring cup to get exactly 3.7 quarts of oil, and will instead just pour in 4 1-quart containers of oil in my engine, as though it were a 2.4L model.

Car jockys at dealerships change oil, not highly paid mechanics (parts changers). They don't add oil from one quart containers either. They use a hand held pump dispenser and the oil comes from bulk tankage.

I've never been handy, but I used to be able to do minor stuff on the car and around the house. These days, I'm just in too much pain to do anything very physical. But the worst thing is it's so hard to find any one reliable to commit to doing a j*b. SO, it comes out that a lot of stuff just has to wait (if it can.)

I noticed that when my in-laws got into their mid 60s, things changed. They were big time workers, gardening and building and repairing. Then, because they couldn't find people to do things right, and they didn't have the energy and ability to do it themselves, things just sort of stopped getting done. When we bought their house from the estate after they passed, we spent 3 years fixing things up that had been neglected. It was a full time job.

Now we're at that same age ourselves, and we also have a very large house that requires a lot of upkeep. And I'm running into the same situation. I hire a lot out that I used to do before, but very seldom do I feel like they do as good a job as I would have done. And other things just never seem to make it to the top of the todo list. I suspect that's why people's parents houses always seem to be run down after their deaths. At a certain point, some of the repairs and maintenance just become less important.

Now we're at that same age ourselves, and we also have a very large house that requires a lot of upkeep. And I'm running into the same situation. I hire a lot out that I used to do before, but very seldom do I feel like they do as good a job as I would have done. And other things just never seem to make it to the top of the todo list. I suspect that's why people's parents houses always seem to be run down after their deaths. At a certain point, some of the repairs and maintenance just become less important.

This is one reason why I have downsized (Sept 12th) into a 1,500 sq. ft. BRAND NEW house with a 10 year warranty on structural components and A/C/heat systems. Small yard, too!

This is one reason why I have downsized (Sept 12th) into a 1,500 sq. ft. BRAND NEW house with a 10 year warranty on structural components and A/C/heat systems. Small yard, too!

It's on the todo list. Just hasn't made it to the top yet.

Car jockys at dealerships change oil, not highly paid mechanics (parts changers). They don't add oil from one quart containers either. They use a hand held pump dispenser and the oil comes from bulk tankage.
Yeah, I've seen them use the bulk tankage thing or something similar at Jiffy-Lube, where I usually went, until I got the new car with the free oil change/tire rotation program from the dealership. But what they use to pour my oil doesn't matter to me, if they can't get the 3.7 quart thing right. I guess they're still doing a little too much. Anyway, I'll probably go back to using the jack and jack-stand, since I never was all that cool with the ramps from jump. Plus I've been using the ValvoMax Quick Twist Oil Drain Valve for a minute, already making the job a little more simple :D

I have not owned property since 2003, so have been off the hook for those types of major repairs.
However, I do have an ongoing special relationship with an owner/builder that began during the 2006 housing slump when he could not sell his home in an up-scale development for what he considered a reasonable price.
The agreement is that I handle all routine repairs/maintenance in exchange for substantially reduced rent so he can travel without worries.
The guy is a bit of an odd duck and so is the house.
Subsequently, he has not been able to sell the big White Elephant thus far, in spite of three more marketing attempts with three different realtors.
When he markets the house, we travel, when the contract expires, we move back in. The cycle repeats.
So far, we are the only ones to have lived in the house and the current contract will end in early October.
Long term, this large two story house will be a maintenance nightmare, in the meantime I am happy to DIY on this smaller scale.

Otherwise, I am with Napoleon Bonaparte – “If you want a thing done right, do it yourself”.

Last edited:
Just now completed a DIY. Over stove Vent/Microwave we replaced three years ago decided to have its display/clock start flashing on several segments. Irksome to have it flashing away, but still worked to nuke food, so..
Gal wanted to just have it replaced - I've installed 3-4 of them and knew I didn't want to do that, nor pay someone to do it. YouTube to the rescue, then online parts hunting to get the right name for the part needed, then sourcing the part and getting a part# (GE Oven White LED Control Board WB27X29801). Then to Amazon for a price and Ebay for the part ($40 cheaper). Part arrived, installed same, all good and saved a $120+installation cost.

Last edited:
My JiffyLube here on the mainland does the bulk thing too. BUT, they stick the dip stick in, check it and then bring it to me as I sit in the car. Once, the guy came and apologized that they had over filled and they would take a few minutes to suck out the extra through the dip-stick hole. They eventually brought the dip stick back, showing that the oil level was correct. That's the only place I go on the mainland for an oil change.

Some places are honest and competent. Nice to know. YMMV

The mistake I made, was backing off the ramps when I finished, while forgetting to remove the wheel chocks, and the two jack-stands! Forgetting to remove one protection mechanism would have been bad enough, but I forgot to remove both!

I've been very careful not to let this happen again since then, but like I said, that may have been a sign to stop doing my own oil changes. It isn't like I don't feel more senior moments as I get older. Anyway, what happened that day could have been a lot worst. But I don't change my own oil just to save money. The other reason is, my model uses exactly 3.7 quarts of oil. Anything over that, will leave my oil above the full mark. I didn't know that until I had my car for about a year, after I had bought it brand new. I was under a free oil change program from my dealership, that lasted for the first 60,000 miles. The first few weeks I had the car, I would smell bad smoke when I went over 75 or 80 mph. I thought it was my new car engine breaking in, plus I don't drive that fast too often. But I told the dealership about this problem anyway, and they said my car was okay. But I noticed my oil would be over the full mark, when they would change my oil. They told me this was normal.
Hey, at least you made a mistake in over-protection. Guess what, I've also forgotten the chocks. I stopped at spinning the wheels though. :)

The mechanics on Reddit claim they like to fill about 1/8" over the full line. They do this because too many people complain they were shorted, so this is comfort for the customer. This little bit should not be a problem. A true overfill can be a big problem, such as you found. Bearings slapping around in the pool and foaming things up is really bad.

Company 1 basically stated that they would require 1/2 day work on exterior repairs and listed $200 for materials. $200 to me didn't seem enough for the repairs needed. Listed some repairs. Wanted $1,600 to stain the deck which to me seemed very high.

Company 2 found many repairs that I did not see and pictures of each repair. Same $1,600 to stain the wood deck. :confused: Interior painting was $1,800 more than the first company. Plus they had a scheme going where you get 10% if you sign within a week. The price I showed you above includes the 10% discount. Didn't care much for that scheme, just give me your best price good for 30 days.

Company 3 found even more exterior repairs, many more. This guy was good. He had a large stick to tap around where he couldn't reach to see if there was wood rot. He found a lot more than the others. He told me that he found other companies tend to miss many repairs and then raise their costs to reflect the additional repairs after they already started. He tries to catch it all at the time of the quote to help prevent surprises. After all the repairs - which he provided details of each repair to be done, he was still the cheapest by ~$500. His quote on the wood deck was $585, over 1k cheaper than the others. And his interior quote was the lowest. He also stated they painted a house right down the street about 8 months ago so I could see the quality he does and talk to the homeowner. I remember talking to this new homeowner around when he had it done and he was very pleased with the quality of their work.

Painting is not cheap. Even a deck. My last painter was good, so I asked him about my deck. He up and told me I won't like the price, and consider doing it myself.

Decks in theory seem easy, but if they are done right, with proper prep, AND properly painting all the railings, it is very time consuming.

$585 for a 12x16 deck is incredible. I see no way for the painter to make a profit on it. Maybe if the deck has no railings, it could work.

Great topic! Thank you all for "wasting another perfectly good hour" I could have been fixing something...

Hey, at least you made a mistake in over-protection. Guess what, I've also forgotten the chocks. I stopped at spinning the wheels though. :)

The mechanics on Reddit claim they like to fill about 1/8" over the full line. They do this because too many people complain they were shorted, so this is comfort for the customer. This little bit should not be a problem. A true overfill can be a big problem, such as you found. Bearings slapping around in the pool and foaming things up is really bad.
I still don't know how I let it get to the point I was spinning wheels. I live in one of those neighborhoods where nobody speaks to one another, and I guess that sorta played a factor on this particular day, causing me to not use all my common sense. This and aging, ain't a good match. But although I don't like to admit it, I do think aging is becoming the bigger factor, because this isn't the first time I almost forgot. It's just that it finally happened that day.

The 1/8" over the full line practice would have been a reasonable explanation, instead of practically no explanation. If they were going more than 1/8" over the full line, to the degree any damage could have been done, then I sure hope I caught this in time.

Last edited:
I've always been DIY. My dad was too. When I was 12 he hired a contractor to build us a new house, but with terms where he (my dad) would do a lot of the work by himself.

I followed my dad around a lot, so naturally I became his handy helper. We cleared the land together. He put in all of the fiberglass insulation. After a bit of instruction from him, I did a lot of the wiring work in the house, etc. I did a lot of the interior painting. I learned a lot and had fun with most of it.

Fast forward, every house I've owned I'm done major remodel work myself. My current house was stripped down to the studs and then redone. I did the design work, all of the wiring and plumbing, put a hard wax finish on all of the woodwork, etc. You get the idea.

After surgery on my neck a few years ago I realized I need to be less ambitious, and hire more work out. But it almost never works out.

I've got 3 houses that need serious roof work, and I have worked as a roofer so I know what to do. I could do it all myself, but I will hire out most or all of these jobs. Even though it will cost me 3 times as much if I hire it out. Its brutal work, and I don't like being on roofs very much any more.

Last spring I found out that I had a serious rot problem at a house I own on the Pacific. I hired a carpenter who had done a good job on 2 other smaller projects, to fix the rot and redo the siding on that house. It was supposed to take 5 days. 5 weeks later it was a disaster and I fired the guy, and did the work myself. I didn't feel like I had any choice but to do it myself.

I turn 71 later this month and I am seriously trying to offload work to others. But the trick is largely in hiring the right person to do the work. Its clear to me that I need to be more careful about who I hire.

Its the same thing with choosing investment advisors. You get lots of promises, but a lot of the time it just doesn't work out.

My brother is disabled and lives alone. This morning his garbage disposal switch was acting flukey. I 'could' easily have replaced the switch...hardly brain surgery.

But my history with this 150 year old house is that what should take 10 minutes almost always turns into a 5 hour debacle and three trips to HD.

I called an electrician. Brother can afford it and I'm getting too old to worry about things like this.

My DH is handy and young. He is 45. In 2020 he built his shed/workspace from plans himself. Very little help from even me. Nowadays he's too busy working still to do anything. I get the "call someone" all the time. The guy who used to do everything. Time is just too precious now.

I suspect though that he's getting used to not doing stuff he won't do anything even later.

He poured the concrete pillars, framed, roofed, interior of his shed, wired, drywall, etc. But now he's not even fixing out roof that the flashing on the skylights need to be redone. He barely finished fixing a curtain rod that fell. :rolleyes:

Maybe not just age/money but time that also has people not wanting to waste time as they have less of it.

Mentally I am not there. I enjoy most projects and would be happier doing something rather than watching somebody else do it. It is not odious to me.
I do see paying for some housekeeping though. :D

Mentally I am not there. I enjoy most projects and would be happier doing something rather than watching somebody else do it

I'm the same, nowhere near it mentally, But the physical restrictions are killing me mentally. I'm continuing to do some of the work on our remodel, but holy crap batman... what should have taken me 45 minutes now takes hours..
My goal for today is to cut and place about 6 nailing blocks... use to be about 30 minutes work.....

Last edited:
I had a career in high tech with mostly office work.
Now I enjoy actual physical problem solving and fixing stuff.
����

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm planning on putting up a ~50 mast for an OTA antenna. Probably later this fall. To do it right, it will need a small (but deep) concrete pad and guy wires for support. And I do plan on doing it myself. So I'm still into some DIY projects. Actually looking forward to it, once it cools off enough to work outside.

Although I want to skip the DIY of staining the house trim, and doing roofs, I really want to redo the exterior of my workshop. It's vinyl sided now with aluminum soffit and fascia. I'm looking to replace the siding, soffit and fascia with board and batten siding and trim to match.

I'll have a roofer do the roof next summer. But first, I'll take off the first row of shingles, and redo the fascia/drip edge. Then the roofer can come in. Then I'll finish the soffit and new siding.

I built it around 2000. It needs an upgrade. It's one story 22'x24'. An easy DIY project where I'll be mostly on the ground.

I have way too many tools to give up diy. I do what I am capable of, and comfortable with, and farm out the rest. Hope to get those jobs done this year.

Yes. Especially since the heart attack. I enjoyed all the lawn and snow stuff but that's out now. I did paint two small rooms just to take on a small project that I thought I could finish but will be paying somebody to paint the living room, main bedroom and hallway. Mentally I can see myself doing them but fear running out of gas, dragging my feet and taking two months to do a half-assed job. Plus I cannot move all the furniture myself.

Back
Top Bottom