Would you buy something that cooked perfect steaks?

Yes, I would buy something that cooks perfect steaks, but not that thing. Buy a "Sous Vide", it works, and it works better than you can believe.

I was actually against it, my wife bought it, first bite changed my mind. Every bite since has been perfectly as good. You almost can't screw it up. Eating steak out is now unacceptable, no matter how good the restaurant is.

And you can 'sous-vide' steaks for near zero $, you probably have what you need on hand. A picnic cooler, zip lock bags, digital thermometer. Just bag the steaks, soak in 127F water (more or less depending on how rare/medium you want) for about 2 hours (time is not critical at all). Sear in a very hot pan quickly, or blow torch 'em.

Lots of ways to cook a steak near perfect, grill, cast iron pan, etc - specialized gadgets (like the link on the OP) not required (I already had the blow torch! :) ).

-ERD50

All this talk about sous vide on the other thread got me starting on a new project (one can only play around with loudspeakers for so long).

Yes, one should be able to do sous vide without expensive equipment. One either carefully watches the temperature of his pot sitting on a regular stove top, or by using a large quantity of water to ensure minimal temperature drop during the hour-long cooking.

But how about some inexpensive equipment to control the temperature without having to spend several hundred bucks? I am getting some parts ordered, and when I have set it up and made my first sous vide steak I will tell you all about it.

Last edited:
All this talk about sous vide on the other thread got me starting on a new project (one can only play around with loudspeakers for so long).

Yes, one should be able to do sous vide without expensive equipment. One either carefully watches the temperature of his pot sitting on a regular stove top, or by using a large quantity of water to ensure minimal temperature drop during the hour-long cooking.

But how about some inexpensive equipment to control the temperature without having to spend several hundred bucks? I am getting some parts ordered, and when I have set it up and made my first sous vide steak I will tell you all about it.

Here's the temperature controller that many homebrewers use for their fermentors:

AGPtek Digital All-purpose Temperature Controller STC-1000 w/Sensor - Hvac Controls - Amazon.com

Cheap, nice sealed probe, very flexible. You just need some sort of heating element (shouldn't take much to just maintain a temperature), and I think I've seen people using an aquarium pump to bubble air through the water to provide a little circulation.

-ERD50

Ah hah!

Not being able to see that when I searched Amazon, I found a similar unit on eBay and already ordered it. It cost me $12 instead of the $17 from Amazon (both with shipping), but I have to wait for it to arrive from Hong Kong.

I was still working on a stirrer, but the bubbler idea is even simpler.

PS. I initially thought about building a simple analog thermostat with parts I already had on hand, but could not resist paying $12 for a digital one.

Last edited:
I have also heard America's Test kitchen suggest the cast iron/oven method BUT BACKWARDS. They said you season the steak, then put in the oven at a very low temperature... Until steaks reach 95 F, then sear the outsides in a hot skillet... Charred outside, pink inside...

http://thisweekfordinner.com/2012/01/17/cooking-the-perfect-steak/

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

No, I would not buy that gizmo. I like to keep things simple. I have a 10 year old Hamilton Beach "health grill" which I got for free as an employee perquisite for long service at w*rk. I like how it grills and it is very convenient. It's big enough to grill several steaks, vegetables, etc. It is the same one as in the ad below (used, on sale for $20) and I don't think this model is made any more. In fact, if you are looking for a grill, this one might be a bargain if it's in decent condition.

LARGE HAMILTON BEACH HEALTH SMART 25265 INDOOR GRILL for Sale in Yankton, South Dakota Classified | AmericanListed.com

Last edited:
I have also heard America's Test kitchen suggest the cast iron/oven method BUT BACKWARDS. They said you season the steak, then put in the oven at a very low temperature... Until steaks reach 95 F, then sear the outsides in a hot skillet... Charred outside, pink inside...

http://thisweekfordinner.com/2012/01/17/cooking-the-perfect-steak/

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I heard the America's Test Kitchen folks talking about their book before Christmas and their steak cooking method. I tried it right away and it works very well. A similar method but longer cooking time also works for ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Fantastic!!! 32 responses to "the perfect steak", in less than a day. Proves that many here are already retired, or bored, sitting at their desks... waiting to be...

Nothing to add to the comments, as
#1... can't afford steak
#2... even when we could, usually burned it

...but... instead of hijacking this thread, which should be enshrined... (along with the "razors" thread)... hoping that someone will start another one that asks the question:

What kitchen appliances do you have?
...and, maybe, which ones do you use?
:angel:

Last edited:
Ah hah!

Not being able to see that when I searched Amazon, I found a similar unit on eBay and already ordered it. It cost me $12 instead of the $17 from Amazon (both with shipping), but I have to wait for it to arrive from Hong Kong.

I was still working on a stirrer, but the bubbler idea is even simpler.

PS. I initially thought about building a simple analog thermostat with parts I already had on hand, but could not resist paying $12 for a digital one.

Same thing with me, even at $17 I can't get the parts together for that. Like you, I probably have most of the parts on hand, just not worth the time to build and package it. This unit has a decent interface for setting trip points, handles hot/cold, waterproof probe, etc - you really can't beat it.

Here's one of the threads from the home-brewers, they can recc reliable ebay sellers:

STC 1000 "Ebay" Temperature Controller Build - Page 40 - Home Brew Forums

I never noticed the ones that do readouts in F, everything seemed to be C when I ordered mine. Oh well, I really should get better at 'thinking' in C. Zero and 100 are easy, I know 25C is ~ room temperature ( a warm 77F!), -40 C is -40 F, and 60 C is 140 F, the rest I have to look up or estimate in my head.

-ERD50

Fantastic!!! 32 responses to "the perfect steak", in less than a day. Proves that many here are already retired, or bored, sitting at their desks... waiting to be...

Nothing to add to the comments, as
#1... can't afford steak
#2... even when we could, usually burned it

...but... instead of hijacking this thread, which should be enshrined... (along with the "razors" thread)... hoping that someone will start another one that asks the question:

What kitchen appliances do you have?
...and, maybe, which ones do you use?
:angel:
LOL! I had a neighbor who bitterly complained that they never ate steak at home because her husband ALWAYS burned it at the grill. DH said it was that way when his Dad grilled as well. The problem - the need to keep working that steak until it's dead! LOL!

It's a problem SO easily cured. Steaks on the grill should only be turned once. You must avoid flareups. And until you are quite experienced, you must use a thermometer to ascertain when the steak is done to your liking.

Which is where the Thermapen discussion usually gets started..... I know you haven't missed those discussions!!!

LOL! I had a neighbor who bitterly complained that they never ate steak at home because her husband ALWAYS burned it at the grill. DH said it was that way when his Dad grilled as well. The problem - the need to keep working that steak until it's dead! LOL!

It's a problem SO easily cured. Steaks on the grill should only be turned once. You must avoid flareups. And until you are quite experienced, you must use a thermometer to ascertain when the steak is done to your liking.

Which is where the Thermapen discussion usually gets started..... I know you haven't missed those discussions!!!

When my wife and I married she didn't know what steak was. They called it "burnt meat", today she enjoys it medium rare. I watched her dad ruin 4 lobsters he caught diving. He didn't think they were done in an hour on the grill.

Edit to add: I have a multi purpose device, a grill. Grill year round even at 20F.

Last edited:
To answer the OP, nope, wouldn't buy one...

Only slightly off topic, I experimented last weekend with sous vide, using a slow cooker, my bbq thermometer, and a generic, NY strip from the local grocer (on sale!).

I filled the crock with hot tap water, which was 131F, then set the cooker to WARM. I then checked the temps at 30 minute intervals.

Time/temp

0/131
30/129
60/131
90/135
120/138
150/140
180/140

Seems to have topped out at 140F. For kicks, I then set the control to LOW...

210/154
240/167
270/181
300/180

With data in hand, I repeated the next day, this time with a steak. My target temp was 134.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425745230.119887.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425745268.863687.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425745291.922758.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425745316.716846.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425745335.792109.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1425745361.818852.jpg

After about 2.5 hours at 133-135, controlled by "hand" by toggling between OFF and WARM, I removed the steak from its pouch, then seared in an iron skillet (outside grill covered with snow/ice...).

Conclusions: Relatively low maintenance method, and the steak was med-rare throughout. Steak wasn't that flavorful, due in part to the el-cheapo grocery store steak; also went too light on seasonings. Might be better for a roast, or other fatty cut. Also, I like the flavor profile of grilled meat better, even giving its "shortcomings" as a "perfect" cooking method.

Having said that, I use a gas grill for the convenience, but still think charcoal is a superior method flavor-wise.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

just use the pinch method.....lightly touch your left index finger tip to your left thumb tip. Now feel the inside, meaty part of your left hand with your right index finger. This is how a medium rare steak should feel. Now move to your left middle finger tip....medium. Ring finger....well done. Never fails

When my wife and I married she didn't know what steak was. They called it "burnt meat", today she enjoys it medium rare. I watched her dad ruin 4 lobsters he caught diving. He didn't think they were done in an hour on the grill.
I have definitely noticed this compulsion to grill, grill and keep grilling (with the lid open too?) that seems ingrained in some men.

Is it like the driving stereotype where a guy refuses to ask directions? Do some men feel like they should instinctively know how to grill so they don't try to learn how to do it well? "Well, my Dad burnt all the meat so that's how it's done! End of discussion!"

I enjoy grilling so much myself, and DH is happy for me to do it. When we started RVing (everyone is outside their RVs grilling), I found some books and took the time to learn and have been rewarded with numerous memorable meals. DH was usually off chasing wildlife with his camera at grilling time which was the main reason the chore fell to me.

So I felt bad for my neighbor who always goes out to eat steak because it's horrible at home. She prefers her steak medium well, though, I didn't offer to grill for her as I don't think I can bear to let steak go that far. If anyone is squeamish about medium rare or rare meat I don't cook for them.

just use the pinch method.....lightly touch your left index finger tip to your left thumb tip. Now feel the inside, meaty part of your left hand with your right index finger. This is how a medium rare steak should feel. Now move to your left middle finger tip....medium. Ring finger....well done. Never fails

I kept trying that method when I grilled steaks - it sounds easy, but it still kind of threw me off.

But then... I made a point to push the steak when it was raw (very 'mushy'). That gave me the reference point I needed to tell that it progressing along from raw to rare to medium rare.

Still a little hit/miss with resting though. That's what I like about the water bath and blow torch. You hold the water temperature, and it is done to that degree, nothing more or less. And the blow torch is so fast, it doesn't cook the inside any further. And the slow water bath cooking eliminates the need for a rest, the temperatures are already even throughout.

-ERD50

So I thought the steak cooker was an unnecessary splurge, but as I browsed some of the links, I found this... And am thinking to use my credit card bonus to get it from amazon.
Shhh... don't tell my DW, as she sometimes reads this, and I want it to be a surprise. Finally... a way to cook our Ramen Pride Soup, without burning!

Attachments

• nomiku.jpg
    nomiku.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
To answer the OP, nope, wouldn't buy one...

Only slightly off topic, I experimented last weekend with sous vide, using a slow cooker, my bbq thermometer, and a generic, NY strip from the local grocer (on sale!).

I filled the crock with hot tap water, which was 131F, then set the cooker to WARM. I then checked the temps at 30 minute intervals. ...

Looks good. A step up from manually regulating that slow cooker would be to add one of those STC-1000 temperature probe/controllers I linked to earlier.

You need to wire a plug to the STC-1000, and an outlet to the HEAT relay contacts (plenty of wiring diagrams on-line) to switch power on/off to the cooker. You need the old-school simple physical switch type cooker like in your photos - cutting power to the fancy digital (non-LBYM style!) cookers will usually cause them to reset, rather than hold the WARM/LOW/HIGH setting.

-ERD50

Darn, HFWR beats me to it! Steak looking good. When I do mine, for the post sous vide searing step, I will be sure to get my cast iron skillet to at least 500F as measured with an infrared thermometer.

About imoldernu using the Nomiku stick for ramen, I wonder if it would heat water to a high enough temperature for ramen noodle. And being designed to go into a deep pot, it may require you to make a couple of gallons of ramen noodle. That's a lot of carb!

PS. For steak, I like rib eye with more fat. Lean cuts like filet mignon can be boring.

PPS. I also have a skillet with raised ribs. I have not used it for a while, but it would be perfect to give the sous vide steak the grill mark. And flavor too, without cooking the meat too much more.

Last edited:
Looks good. A step up from manually regulating that slow cooker would be to add one of those STC-1000 temperature probe/controllers I linked to earlier.

You need to wire a plug to the STC-1000, and an outlet to the HEAT relay contacts (plenty of wiring diagrams on-line) to switch power on/off to the cooker. You need the old-school simple physical switch type cooker like in your photos - cutting power to the fancy digital (non-LBYM style!) cookers will usually cause them to reset, rather than hold the WARM/LOW/HIGH setting.

-ERD50

If I decided to use this method regularly, I would likely re-engineer the slow cooker. Not sure I will. In defense of my poor man set-up, the temperature was pretty stable, and required only minor adjustments, so one could be [-]drinking beer[/-] doing other things between checking every 15 minutes or so...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

No, I would not buy it either. Too high in price and would not want to store it. I use the cast iron skillet and finish in the oven method also.

A couple of months ago I might have paid a $200, for such a device, but not $500.

I was actually looking for a good steak cooking solution for Xmas, and was a bit disappointed with two good cooks (sisters) and never ending complaints that you are hard to shop for, they'd didn't get me anything.

I ended up getting cast iron grill pan, and found that for me broiling in the oven works the best other than a BBQ. Still I have troubles with consistency, perhaps a good thermometer is what I need.

That looks like the same size as my ribbed iron skillet that I am going to use to sear the future sous vide steak.

Its description reads "the cast iron grill pan looks good in most kitchens and it doubles up as an excellent source of nutritional iron..."

Really? I did not know that iron comes off the pan and gets into your food in any significant amount. Wow!

I decided to take a look at some of the cast iron pans since the one that I have sat outside and is in real bad shape (rusted badly)...

Saw this one... only cost $20... but hey, if you buy the combo that has two pans it only cost $80 :facepalm:

Amazon.com: Lodge L8sgp3 Pre-seasoned Cast-iron Square Grill Pan, 10.5-inch (Black, 2): Kitchen & Dining

Why buy new when you can pick one up off of someone else for less.
We've got 3 sizes of cast iron skillets - 1 was my husband's grandmothers. 2 I picked up used - one at an Amvets store, the other at a garage sale.

I have bought all of my le creuset pans used (enameled over cast iron)- mostly from ebay. MUCH cheaper than retail.

I'm too cheap to pay for new - but I love good cookware.

Back
Top Bottom