Would you buy something that cooked perfect steaks?

just use the pinch method.....lightly touch your left index finger tip to your left thumb tip. Now feel the inside, meaty part of your left hand with your right index finger. This is how a medium rare steak should feel. Now move to your left middle finger tip....medium. Ring finger....well done. Never fails

I can name a guaranteed fail. I'm a bass player.

Hell no. Ruin the best part of beer and the deck. Damn I take pride of doing my thing on the grill half or three fourths in the bag , making perfect steaks. Whole topic got me grumpy..grunt

Get off my lawn..just in case

After about 2.5 hours at 133-135, controlled by "hand" by toggling between OFF and WARM,

This is the real value of the sous vide machine. It holds the temperature within a degree, and you can go away and forget about it for as long as you like. The convenience factor counts for a lot with someone as easily as distracted as I am!

This is the real value of the sous vide machine. It holds the temperature within a degree, and you can go away and forget about it for as long as you like. The convenience factor counts for a lot with someone as easily as distracted as I am!

Granted, auto mode is better, but the least expensive option is an attachable heater for $199, and the water ovens are $300 and up. Don't really need another small appliance, especially one that costs that much, and that I would use infrequently (cough, cough, breadmaker, cough).

Though I am contemplating a stand mixer...

It was sheer luck and coincidence that the WARM setting on my cooker was right about medium-rare territory, and the temp was pretty stable (lot of mass in a crock full of water). For different temps more intervention would be required.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

It was sheer luck and coincidence that the WARM setting on my cooker was right about medium-rare territory, and the temp was pretty stable (lot of mass in a crock full of water). For different temps more intervention would be required.

In your case, true. But for me, steaks, and beef in general, are best at about 125°F so I've been extremely happy with my sous vide in the nearly four years since I bought it.

In your case, true. But for me, steaks, and beef in general, are best at about 125°F so I've been extremely happy with my sous vide in the nearly four years since I bought it.

Aren't you supposed to kill that steer first? :p

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Heck, for something that rare, I could just leave it outside in the summer, here in the SW. :duh:

If you do that, make sure to cover it from the direct sun, as that would give you medium cooked steak. :dead: Leave it in the back patio, or the front porch.

Last edited:
No, as long as it has been properly branded, that should be enough. :cool:

+1

Cooking beef is largely so no one thinks I'm a cannibal. Nice grill marks but done Blue. Best described as a steak so rare a vet might be able to bring it back to life.

There is already a dish for raw meat, called Steak Tartare. Why even pretend to cook it?

Well, perhaps you can warm it up a bit by keeping it under your armpit?

Steak Tartare is fine, cooked with spice. Given today's meat supply I like cooking the bugs off the surface, along with a thin crust from the grill. Makes it easy, get DWs medium rare and just a couple of minutes on a 550F grill for me(sometimes have to heat the edge). It's all good.

I have also heard America's Test kitchen suggest the cast iron/oven method BUT BACKWARDS. They said you season the steak, then put in the oven at a very low temperature... Until steaks reach 95 F, then sear the outsides in a hot skillet... Charred outside, pink inside...

http://thisweekfordinner.com/2012/01/17/cooking-the-perfect-steak/

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes. I remember that's for very thick steaks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just tried cooking a sous-vide steak tonight for the first time. Was surprisingly easy and zero cost as we just put a big pot of water in the oven set to 170F. The oven kept the water bath at a steady 146F (medium).

I never cooked steak often enough to judge doneness so this method worked very for us. We'll definitely try this again.

Attachments

• IMG_20150929_162650.jpg
    IMG_20150929_162650.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20150929_162731.jpg
    IMG_20150929_162731.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20150929_163444.jpg
    IMG_20150929_163444.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20150929_163607.jpg
    IMG_20150929_163607.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 25
Just tried cooking a sous-vide steak tonight for the first time. Was surprisingly easy and zero cost as we just put a big pot of water in the oven set to 170F. The oven kept the water bath at a steady 146F (medium).

I never cooked steak often enough to judge doneness so this method worked very for us. We'll definitely try this again.

Looks great. How long did you let them sit in the water bath? 146F seems kinda high, but I can't argue with the results.

I did steaks on the grill for company this past w/e. I went a bit too far, they were more medium and very little pink versus medium/rare (but still delicious), but I didn't have time to sous-vide them.

-ERD50

Back when this thread was active, it spurred me to buy a digital thermostat off eBay to convert a slow-cooker into a sous-vide machine.

This jury rig cost me $9.73, not including a cord and an outlet I had on hand. The following image was posted on another thread, but I'd like to show it here once more.

I have used this 3 times. The 1st time, I marinated the steak and the salt drew out the moisture during the long cooking time, making the meat tough. I then learned that one should salt the steak only afterwards when browning it on a hot skillet.

PS. This reminds me that I need to finish this project by getting an aluminum project case and mounting the thermostat and the receptacle in a more permanent manner.

Last edited:
Back when this thread was active, it spurred me to buy a digital thermostat off eBay to convert a slow-cooker into a sous-vide machine.

This jury rig cost me $9.73, not including a cord and an outlet I had on hand. The following image was posted on another thread, but I'd like to show it here once more.

I have used this 3 times. The 1st time, I marinated the steak and the salt drew out the moisture during the long cooking time, making the meat tough. I then learned that one should salt the steak only afterwards when browning it on a hot skillet.

PS. This reminds me that I need to finish this project by getting an aluminum project case and mounting the thermostat and the receptacle in a more permanent manner.

Yeah, the current setup looks like it could get really exciting when unplugging the slow cooker.:D

Looks great. How long did you let them sit in the water bath? 146F seems kinda high, but I can't argue with the results.

We left the steaks in the oven for 1.5 hours (3.5cm steak) although we had the pot in there all day just to see where the temperature would stabilize. I'm not sure why the stable temp was 14degrees less than the oven setting other than perhaps cooling due to evaporation (or maybe an inaccurate oven?).

146F is a lot higher than the other temps I see posted in this thread but I tend to like my meat cooked more thoroughly. One drawback of this method I see is that we can't cook the steaks differently for each individual. On the plus side, I don't encounter spots in my steak that are much less cooked than I would like.

We left the steaks in the oven for 1.5 hours (3.5cm steak) although we had the pot in there all day just to see where the temperature would stabilize. I'm not sure why the stable temp was 14degrees less than the oven setting other than perhaps cooling due to evaporation (or maybe an inaccurate oven?). ...

Interesting, I suspect it is some of both. Evaporation will definitely cool it, and ovens can be off as well. The only way to really control it is with a set up like NW-Bound posted. Not surprisingly, my set up looks almost exactly like that, though I did manage to get mine mounted in a box right after I tested it. Didn't want to scare DW with a Rube Golberg looking thing with all those wires, and I'm clumsy, I might hurt myself!

146F is a lot higher than the other temps I see posted in this thread but I tend to like my meat cooked more thoroughly. One drawback of this method I see is that we can't cook the steaks differently for each individual. On the plus side, I don't encounter spots in my steak that are much less cooked than I would like.

The important thing is you got the results you wanted (and they look great to me, I might prefer just a bit rarer, but not much), and this should be very repeatable for you.

For variety, you could experiment a bit. You could pull some earlier, put in the fridge, and finish those a bit longer - a sort of 'hybrid' sous-vide.

I think it was America's Test Kitchen, that used this technique for pork chops. Put the chops, patted dry and salted, on a wire rack/pan in a very low oven until they hit 120F internal (20-40 min maybe?). Then finish in skillet or broiler or grill. Same concept, not as controlled/thorough as sous-vide though, but no special equipment was needed. The long-low oven time dries the surface so you get a better sear (less steam, and steam keeps temps at 212F, below the browning range). And the pre-heat of the inside helps assure you aren't serving under-cooked pork (which I understand is less of a worry today, but most of us still prefer our pork fully cooked).

-ERD50

I really need to try sous-vide some day. Both the science, experienced cooks and anecdotal evidence are behind it.

if I found something that cooked something perfect and was easy to clean, I'd definitely consider that for an acceptable price.

Wow, does that ever describe my Zojirushi rice cooker. The most amazingly perfect cooking gadget I can imagine.

I really need to try sous-vide some day. Both the science, experienced cooks and anecdotal evidence are behind it.

The one I use is here. I've been using it for almost four years and I love it.

But much too expensive for most. I would, however, recommend doing what I did and wait for one of their sale offers. They periodically have sales of refurbished units at 40% off and free shipping. These are units that were returned for whatever reason, completely checked out and offered on their website. They go very quickly, so you might consider signing up for their mailing list (link on the home page).

So there's a sale, not sure for how long, on one of these:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip

On Amazon, the model they have is bluetooth only instead of Wifi. It's $99 instead of the usual $149. Other models are higher in price. You can pair it with your phone and use an app. to set the temperature but you can also use it directly.

This one has better reviews but cost more and doesn't connect with an app.:

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-Imme...0049824&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=sous+vide&psc=1

I'm not a big steak eater but supposedly works with all other types of foods including veggies.

Uses a lot of water and zip lock bags?

I discovered sous vide about 10 months ago on this forum. I tried it using using a food thermometer and a beer cooler, adjusting water temperature manually. Very labor intensive but I had to see if the food was as good as people on this forum raved about.

The answer was it's the best steak and chicken I've ever had. I bought an Anova over the summer after researching different options. The precision and safety of sous vide cooking is outstanding. Most of the poor reviews for the Anova are for the clamp. It is not necessary to crank the clamp so tight that it breaks. I have had no problems.

I made turkey breast roulade with it yesterday, after brining the turkey in the same plastic tub that I later use for sous vide. I also pasteurized my eggs so I could safely make pumpkin chiffon pie with no worries about salmonella. My husband absolutely loves any meat I cook with it. It is amazing for steak. A quick pan sear or finish on the grill and it beats every steakhouse in our area.

I bought my first vacuum sealer 20 years ago and it pairs well with the sous vide machine. But one can also use ziplock freezer bags. I also got a Cambro plastic tub and lid with a cutout for the Anova. I easily use it twice a week and have made chicken, poached eggs in the shell, fish, steaks, burgers in bulk. The food lasts a couple of weeks in the fridge after cooking and freezes well as it is already vacuum sealed in the bag.

Other things that work well with sous vide machines: homemade yogurt in a Mason jar and super easy hollandaise sauce, made in a Mason jar and blended with a stick blender.

There is no mess either. There's nothing to clean. If you think you're wasting water, empty the clean hot water into your sink and wash the dishes afterward in the clean water you used for cooking.

The downside? The plastic bags.

I like the immersion circulator because I can store it in a drawer.

If you want to research sous vide, look up douglasbaldwin.com.

Back
Top Bottom