Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Steak Tartare is fine, cooked with spice. Given today's meat supply I like cooking the bugs off the surface, along with a thin crust from the grill. Makes it easy, get DWs medium rare and just a couple of minutes on a 550F grill for me(sometimes have to heat the edge). It's all good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
I have also heard America's Test kitchen suggest the cast iron/oven method BUT BACKWARDS. They said you season the steak, then put in the oven at a very low temperature... Until steaks reach 95 F, then sear the outsides in a hot skillet... Charred outside, pink inside...

http://thisweekfordinner.com/2012/01...perfect-steak/

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes. I remember that's for very thick steaks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just tried cooking a sous-vide steak tonight for the first time. Was surprisingly easy and zero cost as we just put a big pot of water in the oven set to 170F. The oven kept the water bath at a steady 146F (medium).

I never cooked steak often enough to judge doneness so this method worked very for us. We'll definitely try this again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150929_162650.jpg (628.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150929_162731.jpg (589.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150929_163444.jpg (609.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150929_163607.jpg (553.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Just tried cooking a sous-vide steak tonight for the first time. Was surprisingly easy and zero cost as we just put a big pot of water in the oven set to 170F. The oven kept the water bath at a steady 146F (medium).

I never cooked steak often enough to judge doneness so this method worked very for us. We'll definitely try this again.
Looks great. How long did you let them sit in the water bath? 146F seems kinda high, but I can't argue with the results.

I did steaks on the grill for company this past w/e. I went a bit too far, they were more medium and very little pink versus medium/rare (but still delicious), but I didn't have time to sous-vide them.

-ERD50
Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Back when this thread was active, it spurred me to buy a digital thermostat off eBay to convert a slow-cooker into a sous-vide machine.

This jury rig cost me $9.73, not including a cord and an outlet I had on hand. The following image was posted on another thread, but I'd like to show it here once more.

I have used this 3 times. The 1st time, I marinated the steak and the salt drew out the moisture during the long cooking time, making the meat tough. I then learned that one should salt the steak only afterwards when browning it on a hot skillet.

PS. This reminds me that I need to finish this project by getting an aluminum project case and mounting the thermostat and the receptacle in a more permanent manner.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Back when this thread was active, it spurred me to buy a digital thermostat off eBay to convert a slow-cooker into a sous-vide machine.

This jury rig cost me $9.73, not including a cord and an outlet I had on hand. The following image was posted on another thread, but I'd like to show it here once more.

I have used this 3 times. The 1st time, I marinated the steak and the salt drew out the moisture during the long cooking time, making the meat tough. I then learned that one should salt the steak only afterwards when browning it on a hot skillet.

PS. This reminds me that I need to finish this project by getting an aluminum project case and mounting the thermostat and the receptacle in a more permanent manner.

Yeah, the current setup looks like it could get really exciting when unplugging the slow cooker.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post

Once the oven is at 500 take the skillet out and put it on the gas burner. Use a glove
Humbug. Real steak lovers don't need no strinkin' gloves.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Looks great. How long did you let them sit in the water bath? 146F seems kinda high, but I can't argue with the results.
We left the steaks in the oven for 1.5 hours (3.5cm steak) although we had the pot in there all day just to see where the temperature would stabilize. I'm not sure why the stable temp was 14degrees less than the oven setting other than perhaps cooling due to evaporation (or maybe an inaccurate oven?).

146F is a lot higher than the other temps I see posted in this thread but I tend to like my meat cooked more thoroughly. One drawback of this method I see is that we can't cook the steaks differently for each individual. On the plus side, I don't encounter spots in my steak that are much less cooked than I would like.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
We left the steaks in the oven for 1.5 hours (3.5cm steak) although we had the pot in there all day just to see where the temperature would stabilize. I'm not sure why the stable temp was 14degrees less than the oven setting other than perhaps cooling due to evaporation (or maybe an inaccurate oven?). ...
Interesting, I suspect it is some of both. Evaporation will definitely cool it, and ovens can be off as well. The only way to really control it is with a set up like NW-Bound posted. Not surprisingly, my set up looks almost exactly like that, though I did manage to get mine mounted in a box right after I tested it. Didn't want to scare DW with a Rube Golberg looking thing with all those wires, and I'm clumsy, I might hurt myself!

Quote:
146F is a lot higher than the other temps I see posted in this thread but I tend to like my meat cooked more thoroughly. One drawback of this method I see is that we can't cook the steaks differently for each individual. On the plus side, I don't encounter spots in my steak that are much less cooked than I would like.
The important thing is you got the results you wanted (and they look great to me, I might prefer just a bit rarer, but not much), and this should be very repeatable for you.

For variety, you could experiment a bit. You could pull some earlier, put in the fridge, and finish those a bit longer - a sort of 'hybrid' sous-vide.

I think it was America's Test Kitchen, that used this technique for pork chops. Put the chops, patted dry and salted, on a wire rack/pan in a very low oven until they hit 120F internal (20-40 min maybe?). Then finish in skillet or broiler or grill. Same concept, not as controlled/thorough as sous-vide though, but no special equipment was needed. The long-low oven time dries the surface so you get a better sear (less steam, and steam keeps temps at 212F, below the browning range). And the pre-heat of the inside helps assure you aren't serving under-cooked pork (which I understand is less of a worry today, but most of us still prefer our pork fully cooked).

-ERD50
Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I'm not really a steak person. But if I found something that cooked something perfect and was easy to clean, I'd definitely consider that for an acceptable price.

I used to have a George Foreman GV5 Roaster and Contact Cooker (Amazon.com: George Foreman GV5 Roaster and Contact Cooker: George Foreman Chicken Grill: Kitchen & Dining) that made delicious chicken, but was very difficult to clean. So, I no longer have that.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I really need to try sous-vide some day. Both the science, experienced cooks and anecdotal evidence are behind it.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
if I found something that cooked something perfect and was easy to clean, I'd definitely consider that for an acceptable price.
Wow, does that ever describe my Zojirushi rice cooker. The most amazingly perfect cooking gadget I can imagine.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I really need to try sous-vide some day. Both the science, experienced cooks and anecdotal evidence are behind it.
The one I use is here. I've been using it for almost four years and I love it.

But much too expensive for most. I would, however, recommend doing what I did and wait for one of their sale offers. They periodically have sales of refurbished units at 40% off and free shipping. These are units that were returned for whatever reason, completely checked out and offered on their website. They go very quickly, so you might consider signing up for their mailing list (link on the home page).
Old 11-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #74

So there's a sale, not sure for how long, on one of these:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-with-your-ip

On Amazon, the model they have is bluetooth only instead of Wifi. It's $99 instead of the usual $149. Other models are higher in price. You can pair it with your phone and use an app. to set the temperature but you can also use it directly.

This one has better reviews but cost more and doesn't connect with an app.:

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-Immer...ous+vide&psc=1

I'm not a big steak eater but supposedly works with all other types of foods including veggies.

Uses a lot of water and zip lock bags?
Old 11-25-2016, 04:24 AM   #75

I discovered sous vide about 10 months ago on this forum. I tried it using using a food thermometer and a beer cooler, adjusting water temperature manually. Very labor intensive but I had to see if the food was as good as people on this forum raved about.

The answer was it's the best steak and chicken I've ever had. I bought an Anova over the summer after researching different options. The precision and safety of sous vide cooking is outstanding. Most of the poor reviews for the Anova are for the clamp. It is not necessary to crank the clamp so tight that it breaks. I have had no problems.

I made turkey breast roulade with it yesterday, after brining the turkey in the same plastic tub that I later use for sous vide. I also pasteurized my eggs so I could safely make pumpkin chiffon pie with no worries about salmonella. My husband absolutely loves any meat I cook with it. It is amazing for steak. A quick pan sear or finish on the grill and it beats every steakhouse in our area.

I bought my first vacuum sealer 20 years ago and it pairs well with the sous vide machine. But one can also use ziplock freezer bags. I also got a Cambro plastic tub and lid with a cutout for the Anova. I easily use it twice a week and have made chicken, poached eggs in the shell, fish, steaks, burgers in bulk. The food lasts a couple of weeks in the fridge after cooking and freezes well as it is already vacuum sealed in the bag.

Other things that work well with sous vide machines: homemade yogurt in a Mason jar and super easy hollandaise sauce, made in a Mason jar and blended with a stick blender.

There is no mess either. There's nothing to clean. If you think you're wasting water, empty the clean hot water into your sink and wash the dishes afterward in the clean water you used for cooking.

The downside? The plastic bags.

I like the immersion circulator because I can store it in a drawer.

If you want to research sous vide, look up douglasbaldwin.com.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Our preference (& lieu of smoking cigs) is a ribeye, 3 minutes each side, about 1 inch from super hot coals. Crunchy, soft and juicy...
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

For thinner steaks that works fine.... but for thicker cuts (2" and more), the inverse works better... cook on medium heat from room temperature to 75F and flip and cook to 95F, then take off the grill and get the grill really hot and sear a couple minutes on each side to 125F and let rest for ~ 10 minutes.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
The downside? The plastic bags.

Are you referring to the cost of using many plastic bags, or the potential chemicals? I do worry about chemical intrusion into food from plastic sources (I realize some are way different than others). Are there any studies about this?
Old 11-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Are you referring to the cost of using many plastic bags, or the potential chemicals? I do worry about chemical intrusion into food from plastic sources (I realize some are way different than others). Are there any studies about this?
Amazon sells BPA-free, reusable bags./

Actually they sell Sous Vide kits which come with a clip and other accessories.

I wonder about the hassle of cleaning those things, if anything gets caked or cooked in enough that you can't really clean.

If I were to cook eggs all the time this way, it would use up a lot of bags if you couldn't clean them.

Also, when you're cooking, does steam build up in side the bags, causing it to inflate?
Old 11-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #80

I bought a "sous-vider" awhile back. I also bought a big polycarbonate tub to use it with. It a real circulator with a pump.

Used it a little while ago, made a steak (MR 125) and flamed the color with this;

Looks pretty good eh?

It wasn't. It was tender and juicy as you can see, perfectly cooked too.

I was close to the worst steak I ever ate. Lucy ate half of it.

No flavor, no "character", no "substance" Bland, like eating a picture of a steak.

That steak was a grocery store prime NY too. Would have been much better on the hibachi with kingsford even if it was over cooked.

Anyone want a free sous-vider? I'll never use it again.