Join Early Retirement Today

Would you volunteer for this?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...all-employees/

I think it's coming regardless.

I can't see much of a downside, though, when compared to the advantages for fraud prevention, convenience, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. Not inside my body.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uh...no. Especially when they "offer" to do that.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

I was bothered enough with having to submit annual bio-metrics (DW as well), and upload Fitbit data to "earn" HSA contributions. There were other flaming hoops to jump through as well. DW and I are both reasonably fit, exercise regularly, and have only minor(controlled) health issues. I just didn't believe we owed mega-Corp our souls in the form of physical data.

I just felt that it was another ceaseless encroachment on our privacy. So, an employer implant? Hell NO!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nest step:
Those who decline the implanted microchips will have their employee number tattooed on their forearm.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

I would not want to be chipped. I would wonder what other unspoken uses the employer would come up with. Tracking number of bathroom breaks and duration? Tardiness? Can they track you at the mall when you are supposed to be home for sick days?

I guess it would make it easy for them when they fire you, just de-activate the chip so you can't open the door anymore.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #7

Wouldn't even consider it if my job depended on it. It's bad enough that I have a credit card number stolen about every 6 months. At least everyone recognizes what poor "security" companies have to protect those numbers. So you don't lose money when they are stolen usually. For awhile companies will believe in the "secureness" of embedded devices. That is until hackers inevitably break those security measures too. Beyond that issue is a whole privacy issue that would eventually be abused by some. No thanks!
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Not just no, but @#$! no!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #8

Not just no, but @#$! no!

Sounds even worse than the auto spy box from Progressive Insurance in another recent thread.

There is a reason companies (and governments) want to track everything you do, and it's not because they have your best interests in mind.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #9

Not only NO but Hell NO.
Just_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Just a sec:

First of all, it's not a GPS - it cannot track you. It's just some passive encrypted data.

The only reason it's "employer" related is this article as the company that makes the technology is offering it to their employees.

How many of you have personal information stored in your cell phone and use it to buy things with Apple Pay, etc. What's the difference?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ain't no way!
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Just a sec:

First of all, it's not a GPS - it cannot track you. It's just some passive encrypted data.

The only reason it's "employer" related is this article as the company that makes the technology is offering it to their employees.

How many of you have personal information stored in your cell phone and use it to buy things with Apple Pay, etc. What's the difference?
It allows the camels nose under the tent for something I can't control, I can always shut my phone off.
Just_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
It allows the camels nose under the tent for something I can't control, I can always shut my phone off.
Valid point.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Three Square Market becomes first US company to offer implanted microchips to all employees - TechRepublic

I think it's coming regardless.

I can't see much of a downside, though, when compared to the advantages for fraud prevention, convenience, etc.
If I have to click on a link to see if I'm willing to do something, chances are I'm not interested in whatever it is.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #15

Yeah, its starts with volunteers, I've been down this road, this is how things start.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Just a sec:

but a network of readers can... while NFC (smartphones) and RFID currently use different tech... its not a long stretch to have smartphone default into reporting locs of nearby chips similar to products such as tilemate (currently using bluetooth).
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nest step:
Those who decline the implanted microchips will have their employee number tattooed on their forearm.

More likely on forehead.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

No, because I'm retired. I don't need to get into secured spaces any more, except for my own house which is on a keypad entry.

Nobody has access to some sort of database listing when I come and go. I like that.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No, because I'm retired. I don't need to get into secured spaces any more, except for my own house which is on a keypad entry.

Nobody has access to some sort of database listing when I come and go. I like that.

Do you carry a cellphone? If so, you are being tracked.

Agree though. No chance. And I'm not getting an insurance company plug in for my car till I'm forced. I still feel violated from the urine test required to work at mega or twenty nine years ago.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Just a sec:

Still: NO!

euro is offline   Reply With Quote