Writer looking for Inspiring Retirement Stories

mzayed

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everyone in the Early Retirement community.

I am a writer for The Motley Fool. (We are a multimedia and investment company)

I am looking to write an article about an inspiring retirement story. Maybe someone who is right on track to an early retirement or has already reached it. Also someone who may be a late starter and is now on their way to a bright retirement or someone who encountered some unexpected hurdles and is now past them. I would love to talk to someone who has had to make a drastic change like cutting costs or moving somewhere else.

We like to write stories that are inspiring and leave a message that our readers can benefit from.

If you are interested or want to get more information about the article feel free to contact me at mzayed@fool.com or 352-226-1968.

Thank you,

Michelle Zayed

[moderator edit - this post has been discussed and approved]

Last edited by a moderator:

I am looking to write an article about an inspiring retirement story.

This board was created and initially populated by a group who left The Motley Fool when the two Fools began charging for membership. Now you want to mine the resources here to write a story for The Motley Fool - and do so without paying the owner of this forum for doing so?

We like to write stories that are inspiring and leave a message that our readers can benefit from.
Ironic - and pretty darned cheeky of you.

mzayed said:

I am looking to write an article about an inspiring retirement story. Maybe someone who is right on track to an early retirement or has already reached it. Also someone who may be a late starter and is now on their way to a bright retirement or someone who encountered some unexpected hurdles and is now past them. I would love to talk to someone who has had to make a drastic change like cutting costs or moving somewhere else.

I had been contributing to a 401K plan for years, when I ran across The Motley Fool (back at AOL) and read the early version of the Fool School that covered basic investing strategies and long term planning. That got me started in investing more, using index funds, and generally got me to take a more active role in saving for retirement.

And then things started to change. Discussions of strategies started disappearing behind subscription newsletters. Articles about Rule Breakers and Rule Makers became pitches for newsletters. The great discussions turned into subscription courses. Oh, I tried some of these. "Find the next Rule Breaker! Only $150!". Paying money to get feedback from equally clueless other students, and get vague strokes from TMFyaddayadda didn't work for me. I bailed and didn't look back, except for clicking "unsubscribe" in the e-mails that have kept up all these years.

I found that a a do-it-yourself investor that I got better, more consistent, and more fact-based advice and feedback from folks at http://www.bogleheads.org/ and at no charge! So... I went the Bogleheads way, and managed to invest, successfully retire, and survive the biggest bear in the past half century, with no problems.

Let's see you leave your readers THAT message... ;-)

This board was created and initially populated by a group who left The Motley Fool when the two Fools began charging for membership. Now you want to mine the resources here to write a story for The Motley Fool - and do so without paying the owner of this forum for doing so?
Ironic - and pretty darned cheeky of you.
Not that we're holding a grudge or anything... and I wonder how many of today's TMF staff were there in the 1990s. I mean besides the top two fools.

The Kaderlis have been interviewed by TMF a number of times.

I was in a j*b I hated. I hated the boss. I hated the co-workers. I hated the company.

But then, A very nice insurance salesman gave me a very in-depth presentation on the "world of variable annuities and whole life insurance"

And now I have hope.

My new inancial advisor then told me I needed to cut my expenses so that I could retire early.

I sold my large house in the Hampton's to enable my early retirement.

That insurance man saved my life !

Who wants to work for the man forever !

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 16
I have a warmer regard to TMFools. It was how I kicked into high gear to prepare for RE. I LBYM too much to pay for what I can pick up for free, so I have subscribed only to free services. I kind of enjoy the teasers that hint at the "secret information", but won't give the real scoop unless I pay. It gives me incentives to research on my own.

I found that a a do-it-yourself investor that I got better, more consistent, and more fact-based advice and feedback from folks at Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info and at no charge! So... I went the Bogleheads way, and managed to invest, successfully retire, and survive the biggest bear in the past half century, with no problems.

Let's see you leave your readers THAT message... ;-)

I can't improve on that!

I have to say MasterBlaster, I find your flaunting your excessive housing wealth both ostentatious and in poor taste.

I have to say MasterBlaster, I find your flaunting your excessive housing wealth both ostentatious and in poor taste.

Perhaps it didn't come across so well, but my post was supposed to be humorous. My sick-and-twisted sense of humor in no way represents my real-life situation. My real life situation can only be described as either one of being sick or of being twisted but not both.

MasterBlaster said:
Perhaps it didn't come across so well, but my post was supposed to be humorous. My sick-and-twisted sense of humor in no way represents my real-life situation. My real life situation can only be described as either one of being sick or of being twisted but not both.

Oh he got your joke. You didn't get his.

And to summarize, welcome Michelle to our joyful community!

Ha

And to summarize, welcome Michelle to our joyful community!

Ha

Ain't we a hot mess? No surprise many of us chose early retirement. Lots of folks here are too ornery for managers to contain. Dealing with early retirees can kinda be like...

‪Cat Herders‬‏ - YouTube

I also have a soft spot for TMF. The retire early board was quite an eye opener for me back in 1999. The basic Fool philosophy of DIY was also quite empowering especially when talking to financial adviser who want to charge me 1% to manage my money.

I was comped membership for a year, than paid for it for a year. I found that by the time they made it free again they had lost most of the interesting members and this place was a much better home.

However, if you ever want to a case study in a company starting out with the right intentions and ending up doing evil than the Motley Fool is your company. How they went from preaching index funds, and individual investing to selling over priced newsletters and high expense mutual funds is just too depressing for me to help out.

Sorry Michele no help from me. I am pretty sure there are still a few early retirees posting on the TMF boards at least I hope so.

I would like to see a blog/article about finance writers. I would like it revealed what they invest in and where they are in their financial lives. If a writer is invested in beaver cheese futures, then why should I even bother to read anything they write? Same thing goes if they are trying to sell me something. Or if they have maxed out credit cards or end up paying overdraft charges on their checking account.

In essence, if they don't have their own act together, what's the point?

Edmund Andrews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...who proved that the secret to financial responsibility is to write a gossipy book about your financial irresponsibility, which others will buy so they can feel morally superior to somebody....

I would like to see a blog/article about finance writers. I would like it revealed what they invest in and where they are in their financial lives.

So the board becomes "fodder" for some person to write a column and get's paid for it?

No thanks....

I would like to see a blog/article about finance writers. I would like it revealed what they invest in and where they are in their financial lives. If a writer is invested in beaver cheese futures, then why should I even bother to read anything they write?
"The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement" and The-Military-Guide.com...

So the board becomes "fodder" for some person to write a column and get's paid for it?
No thanks....
... all royalties donated to charity!

Did we scare her off:confused: I was going to suggest she get in touch with MMND.

I thought about you Nords when I posted. :)

Others that I have thought about are Ron Lieber of the NYTimes. He had a financial advisor that was indicted. Since then, he has switched to an advisor that has access to DFA funds.

Another batch of folks are posting at the Bogleheads. I'm thinking of Rick Ferri, Larry Swedroe, Mike Piper, Allan Roth, and several other authors and bloggers.

Did we scare her off:confused: I was going to suggest she get in touch with MMND.
Her blog went dark nearly a year ago, no explanation let alone apology. Pffffffttt... short-timer.

I thought about you Nords when I posted. :)
Another batch of folks are posting at the Bogleheads. I'm thinking of Rick Ferri, Larry Swedroe, Mike Piper, Allan Roth, and several other authors and bloggers.
I don't know if Eric Haas still posts over there, but of course his credentials are impeccable...

Back
Top Bottom