Join Early Retirement Today

Writer looking for Inspiring Retirement Stories
Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Writer looking for Inspiring Retirement Stories

Hello everyone in the Early Retirement community.

I am a writer for The Motley Fool. (We are a multimedia and investment company)

I am looking to write an article about an inspiring retirement story. Maybe someone who is right on track to an early retirement or has already reached it. Also someone who may be a late starter and is now on their way to a bright retirement or someone who encountered some unexpected hurdles and is now past them. I would love to talk to someone who has had to make a drastic change like cutting costs or moving somewhere else.

We like to write stories that are inspiring and leave a message that our readers can benefit from.

If you are interested or want to get more information about the article feel free to contact me at mzayed@fool.com or 352-226-1968.

Thank you,

Michelle Zayed

[moderator edit - this post has been discussed and approved]

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzayed View Post

I am looking to write an article about an inspiring retirement story.
This board was created and initially populated by a group who left The Motley Fool when the two Fools began charging for membership. Now you want to mine the resources here to write a story for The Motley Fool - and do so without paying the owner of this forum for doing so?

Quote:
We like to write stories that are inspiring and leave a message that our readers can benefit from.
Ironic - and pretty darned cheeky of you.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzayed

I am looking to write an article about an inspiring retirement story. Maybe someone who is right on track to an early retirement or has already reached it. Also someone who may be a late starter and is now on their way to a bright retirement or someone who encountered some unexpected hurdles and is now past them. I would love to talk to someone who has had to make a drastic change like cutting costs or moving somewhere else.

I had been contributing to a 401K plan for years, when I ran across The Motley Fool (back at AOL) and read the early version of the Fool School that covered basic investing strategies and long term planning. That got me started in investing more, using index funds, and generally got me to take a more active role in saving for retirement.

And then things started to change. Discussions of strategies started disappearing behind subscription newsletters. Articles about Rule Breakers and Rule Makers became pitches for newsletters. The great discussions turned into subscription courses. Oh, I tried some of these. "Find the next Rule Breaker! Only $150!". Paying money to get feedback from equally clueless other students, and get vague strokes from TMFyaddayadda didn't work for me. I bailed and didn't look back, except for clicking "unsubscribe" in the e-mails that have kept up all these years.

I found that a a do-it-yourself investor that I got better, more consistent, and more fact-based advice and feedback from folks at http://www.bogleheads.org/ and at no charge! So... I went the Bogleheads way, and managed to invest, successfully retire, and survive the biggest bear in the past half century, with no problems.

Let's see you leave your readers THAT message... ;-)
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This board was created and initially populated by a group who left The Motley Fool when the two Fools began charging for membership. Now you want to mine the resources here to write a story for The Motley Fool - and do so without paying the owner of this forum for doing so?
Ironic - and pretty darned cheeky of you.
Not that we're holding a grudge or anything... and I wonder how many of today's TMF staff were there in the 1990s. I mean besides the top two fools.

The Kaderlis have been interviewed by TMF a number of times.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Not that we're holding a grudge or anything... and I wonder how many of today's TMF staff were there in the 1990s. I mean besides the top two fools.
True. But I don't see any reason to feed the hand that bites you...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was in a j*b I hated. I hated the boss. I hated the co-workers. I hated the company.

But then, A very nice insurance salesman gave me a very in-depth presentation on the "world of variable annuities and whole life insurance"

And now I have hope.

My new inancial advisor then told me I needed to cut my expenses so that I could retire early.

I sold my large house in the Hampton's to enable my early retirement.

That insurance man saved my life !

Who wants to work for the man forever !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer2.jpg (83.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a warmer regard to TMFools. It was how I kicked into high gear to prepare for RE. I LBYM too much to pay for what I can pick up for free, so I have subscribed only to free services. I kind of enjoy the teasers that hint at the "secret information", but won't give the real scoop unless I pay. It gives me incentives to research on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I found that a a do-it-yourself investor that I got better, more consistent, and more fact-based advice and feedback from folks at Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info and at no charge! So... I went the Bogleheads way, and managed to invest, successfully retire, and survive the biggest bear in the past half century, with no problems.

Let's see you leave your readers THAT message... ;-)
I can't improve on that!

I have to say MasterBlaster, I find your flaunting your excessive housing wealth both ostentatious and in poor taste.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I have to say MasterBlaster, I find your flaunting your excessive housing wealth both ostentatious and in poor taste.
Perhaps it didn't come across so well, but my post was supposed to be humorous. My sick-and-twisted sense of humor in no way represents my real-life situation. My real life situation can only be described as either one of being sick or of being twisted but not both.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

Perhaps it didn't come across so well, but my post was supposed to be humorous. My sick-and-twisted sense of humor in no way represents my real-life situation. My real life situation can only be described as either one of being sick or of being twisted but not both.
Oh he got your joke. You didn't get his.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And to summarize, welcome Michelle to our joyful community!

Ha
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And to summarize, welcome Michelle to our joyful community!

Ha
Ain't we a hot mess? No surprise many of us chose early retirement. Lots of folks here are too ornery for managers to contain. Dealing with early retirees can kinda be like...

Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Oh he got your joke. You didn't get his.
Yeah, I knew they both were kidding and I laughed at both of the posts!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #13

Sorry Michelle I would prefer to remain anonymous.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I also have a soft spot for TMF. The retire early board was quite an eye opener for me back in 1999. The basic Fool philosophy of DIY was also quite empowering especially when talking to financial adviser who want to charge me 1% to manage my money.

I was comped membership for a year, than paid for it for a year. I found that by the time they made it free again they had lost most of the interesting members and this place was a much better home.

However, if you ever want to a case study in a company starting out with the right intentions and ending up doing evil than the Motley Fool is your company. How they went from preaching index funds, and individual investing to selling over priced newsletters and high expense mutual funds is just too depressing for me to help out.

Sorry Michele no help from me. I am pretty sure there are still a few early retirees posting on the TMF boards at least I hope so.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I would like to see a blog/article about finance writers. I would like it revealed what they invest in and where they are in their financial lives. If a writer is invested in beaver cheese futures, then why should I even bother to read anything they write? Same thing goes if they are trying to sell me something. Or if they have maxed out credit cards or end up paying overdraft charges on their checking account.

In essence, if they don't have their own act together, what's the point?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Edmund Andrews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...who proved that the secret to financial responsibility is to write a gossipy book about your financial irresponsibility, which others will buy so they can feel morally superior to somebody....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I would like to see a blog/article about finance writers. I would like it revealed what they invest in and where they are in their financial lives.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #17
gone traveling

So the board becomes "fodder" for some person to write a column and get's paid for it?

No thanks....
Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I would like to see a blog/article about finance writers. I would like it revealed what they invest in and where they are in their financial lives. If a writer is invested in beaver cheese futures, then why should I even bother to read anything they write?
"The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement" and The-Military-Guide.com...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
So the board becomes "fodder" for some person to write a column and get's paid for it?
No thanks....
... all royalties donated to charity!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... all royalties donated to charity!
If only ...
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[moderator edit - this post has been discussed and approved]
Does this make it scam-proof?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote