Yahoo Photos Closing - recommendations for alternatives?

Sheryl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I accidently discovered that Yahoo photos will be closing on 9/20/07. Strangely, there is no notice of this on the Yahoo Photos site itself.

But anyway, I have a choice of moving to Flickr, Sutterfly, Photobucket, Snapfish, or KodakPhotos.

Anyone who's used these have recommendations on pros and cons?

DW has moved to shutterfly and is impressed with how easy it is to use and how powerful. I ordered some prints shortly after shed moved the photos and it was significantly less hassle than dealing with Yahoo photos.

I have become less and less impressed with yahoo over time. They seem to have lost their edge and be bent on milking what they have rather than investing in their future. It is not a shock to see Google kicking their ass.

I agree, Brewer - I use Yahoo e-mail, and if it were not for the huge chore of changing my address everywhere, I'd ditch it in a minute. The new Beta stinks, but the old version doesn't work at all on my computer....

But then as Dad always said about free stuff - you get what you pay for.

I use Photobucket and am happy with it as it is easy to use and works well. I've not used the others, however, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I just started using Picasa from google. I like it but don't have too many photos there. Mainly just use it to share trips photos with family.

I've been using Snapfish for 2 or 3 years, and haven't had any problems with them. I upload copies of all of our pix to them, and order the prints that I want. Quick & easy! And cheap!

I order the "pre-paid" thingy, and then my prints only cost 10¢ each (4"x6"). I've also ordered 5"x7" prints (39¢ to 79¢ depending on quantity) and 8"x10" ($2.99 each) prints. I think the prices are quite reasonable. I've also ordered photo greeting cards from them...they were easy to design, and they looked very nice when we got them. The Christmas cards are great!

You can also opt to pick-up your photos, one hour style, at Walgreens (as well as some others, though I don't recall which other)

Snapfish also allows unlimited upload and storage of your digi's, so you can share them with friends/family, and they can order prints IF: #1 - You allow them (it's your choice) and #2 - If they want to. So instead of snail-mailing pix to my siblings, we just let them know the pix have been uploaded and send them a link. If they want prints, they can spend a few cents and order them, if they have no use for them, then they can still view them and then go about their business.

i use picasa' works fine for pic sharing

I moved to Flickr and paid the annual change.

As I had mentioned before, I use a free download of Adobe Photoshop Album Starter 3.2 to manage & edit photos on my computer which is the best I have ever used.

I forgot to mention that when I upload my edited photos to order prints they go to the Kodak Gallery website where albums are created. As long as I buy 1 print per year the website storage is free. I asked them if there were any limits to the amount of photos and albums I can store and there are none. So I have a terrific free photo management software as well as free storage and albums that can be viewed by others on the Kodak site.

Each one of my photos is approx 3-4 MB and I like the Kodak upload because it is fast. There was some kind of accelerator they offered free so I downloaded it.

I don't like photoucket because you can't share pics without your friends having to register which really sucks.

For printing I am a fan of Shutterfly. Besides doing really nice prints for a decent price, they will NEVER erase your uploaded photos. This turned out to be a lifesaver for my sister who's computer died with all of her daughter's baby pictures on it. (i've already yelled at her for not making her own backups)

Back
Top Bottom