Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 3,000,000 - 5,000,000

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • 5,000,000 +

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Re: Your Current Net Worth

unclemick2 said:
It's called History - time and the market blessings of the 90's caused my net worth to out run the slow climb of my cheap a#s spending habits.

Wasn't about to change my comfort zone or spending habits just to suit the market.

Drifting up in spending - but slowly. Have no great unmet passions(like scuba dive Bora Bora) requiring me to wed SWR to a retirement calculator. Upgrading my chevy truck to a GMC - just doesn't give me the jollies like picking a used Maypop from the junkyard - makes driving fun - wondering how far you'll get on 'used tires'. Always keep a can of fix a flat handy.

Soooo - dink along like before - and if something pops up to float our boat - the margin of safety is there.

Hey! - we got Direct TV this year(not my idea).

Unclemick in 2008! :)

JG

JG and Jarhead are correct. 25K is no problem. Salmon Béarnaise for lunch after playing tennis this morning. Leaving for Asia in a couple of weeks for months...or more? Who knows? We are not deprived in the least. On my way to the pool.

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Beware the straw poll.  Folks that are smug--and rightly so--about their achievements might be more likely to participate.  Why participate if you have a depressingly negative net worth and are here for research purposes?

It's sorta like the "Post a Picture of You Posting" thread.  You sure didn't see a photo of me.

Zorba said:
Something doesn't add up. We seem to have a large fraction of people in this
group with net worth in the area of $2 million...

Yes, Jarhead that makes alot of sense. Being 20 years younger than either JG or Unclemick, my
family obligations are very different. Still, based on past posts from these two, I suspect that we
share a common pride in being called cheap b**tards. ;)

tozz is right to warn about the selection effects in such surveys but the $2 million number caught
my interest since that looks to be about my threshold to FIRE with a 3.5-4% SWR. Do I interpret
this that the majority of posters are running closer to 200/day?

Zorba

P.S. DanTien. Is a survey on SWR's far behind?

I am not retired. My daily burn rate is about $125. This does not count saving. I don't think $100 in retirement would be any problem at all. I'm sure I could go lower without much pain.

Zorba said:
P.S.. DanTien. Is a survey on SWR's far behind?
unclemick2 said:
requiring me to wed SWR to a retirement calculator.

Zorba - Sorry man, I've been out of the loop on some of the posts and the lingo being used.

Is unclemick trying to marry a Single Woman Retiree(FIRE I guess) (why must a calculator be involved? :eek: )? That's not right...

Do you want a poll on who wants to Marry a Single Woman Retiree (not mentioning a calculator)? as a means to achieving married and FIRE bliss?
Or how about this one: Are you willing to marry a SWR or SMR ,it really makes no difference as long as there is enough FI involved Poll?
DanTien :confused:

Dan - old buddy - you have just inadvertently stepped on the proverbial landmine.

SWR(safe withdrawal rate) is the stuff of legend on this forum, source of endless debate, and the holder of record - as in number of pages of posting. Not to mention - a favorite subject of one who was banned(no names please).

How much can you safely withdraw from your retirement portfolio without going bankrupt in retirement. Goggle retirement calculators on the web - or not.

Heh, heh, heh.

unclemick2 said:
Dan - old buddy - you have just inadvertently stepped on the proverbial landmine.

SWR(safe withdrawal rate) is the stuff of legend on this forum, source of endless debate, and the holder of record - as in number of pages of posting. Not to mention - a favorite subject of one who was banned(no names please).

How much can you safely withdraw from your retirement portfolio without going bankrupt in retirement. Goggle retirement calculators on the web - or not.

Heh, heh, heh.

I'm so silly sometimes. Thanks for straightening(sp?) that and me out.
DanTien :)

I must say, I'm one of the whopping two people who fell into the 25-50k category. But I'm practically just starting out, so I don't feel too bad, yet.

Beware the straw poll. Folks that are smug--and rightly so--about their achievements might be more likely to participate. Why participate if you have a depressingly negative net worth and are here for research purposes?

It's sorta like the "Post a Picture of You Posting" thread. You sure didn't see a photo of me.

In other words, it's only us hunky studs (Dory, Cut-throat, and Me) who posted our pictures?

Yep

That and the fact that -step daughter in room - has not yet instructed me how to scan and post my ugly mug.

Sigh - my old webtv was sooooo simple - even I had trouble screwing it up.

TromboneAl said:
In other words, it's only us hunky studs (Dory, Cut-throat, and Me) who posted our pictures?

Hey, mine is still coming. Need DW to walk me through it. :)

JG

SLC Tortfeasor said:
I must say, I'm one of the whopping two people who fell into the 25-50k category.  But I'm practically just starting out, so I don't feel too bad, yet.

Don't worry. I was once at that level too. I remember it well. I used to say, "I wonder what it will feel like to hit $100K?"

TromboneAl said:

Hey, I posted. (Beginning to feel like a cannine version of Rodney Dangerfield.... :mad:)

REW

OK, I voted. I didn't include my residence, as it is a cardboard box in the middle of the road. If one of you guys buy a big refrigerator, please save the box for me. I'd like to add-on that shop I've always wanted.

he,he - call me old fashioned.... :D

Nords said:
Ben, maybe you need to evaluate your priorities. 

If they're worth $5M+, is gender & marital status relevant?

Telly said:
OK, I voted. I didn't include my residence, as it is a cardboard box in the middle of the road.

Cardboard box!
Luxury.
"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to
get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for
fourteen hours a day, week in, week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!"

Don't push my Monty Python button.

Zorba

unclemick2 said:
Yep

That and the fact that -step daughter in room - has not yet instructed me how to scan and post my ugly mug.

Sigh - my old webtv was sooooo simple - even I had trouble screwing it up.

Unclemick,

For some reason I have you pegged as "Frank Barone", from Everyone Loves Raymond. Am I close?

LL

LL said:
Unclemick,

For some reason I have you pegged as "Frank Barone", from Everyone Loves Raymond.  Am I close?

LL

1. Frank is better looking.

2. I have more hair.

1 out of two ain't bad.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

Telly said:
OK, I voted. I didn't include my residence...

I think the "net worth" question should have been defined in this poll as either:

1. What is your net worth including your residence?

2. What is your net worth not including your residence?

I did not use the Cola pension that I will be collecting when I voted. (25xpension amt) That makes a substantial difference, so once again I screwed up the poll. Sorry.

Dreamer

retire@40 said:
Don't worry.  I was once at that level too.  I remember it well.  I used to say, "I wonder what it will feel like to hit $100K?"

Thanks. That's where I'm at right now. I think I know how I'll feel when I hit $100K: still not yet rich enough to change my life.

"Time . . . is on my side. Yes it is!"

SLC Tortfeasor said:
I think I know how I'll feel when I hit $100K: still not yet rich enough to change my life. 

Really, it does change your life. You will know that if you have problems at work, or illness, or whatever, you won't have to scramble around looking for loans. You will know that if you see a good opportunity in the job market, but it requires a bit of risk, you can still entertain the idea.

You will know that you are the kind of person that can put together this amount of money.

And you will know that it will only get easier as time goes on to achieve future higher savings and investment goals.

All in all, a worthy goal.

Ha

I'm bumping this poll since we've had a couple new-comers in the $5M+ range join us recently.

The more I look at this the more I want to alter the higher incrementals - I would have to reset the counts if I do this and we would have to revote - maybe our net worth has changed anyway? - is it worth doing? and what increments would we like to see? :confused: :)

Back
Top Bottom