Your Favorite Beer

Wow, I like this thread drift! Most memorable beer? I’ll have to think about that one,,,might as well have a beer while I’m pondering.

Well, I have another one. As a young guy some friends and I liked to go to Eagle Mountain Lake near Ft. Worth to swim at a place called Twin Points. They had a beach, with real sand some pretty impressive diving platforms which I loved diving from, and plenty of fun. My buddies and I would bring these truck tire inner tubes and paddle out past the retaining ropes out where boats could run, just to get away from everyone and relax in the sun.

One day we were doing this and a boat speeded past, then a rope passed over our heads, and a slalom skier scooted by the other side. We never saw them approaching but our 16-17 year old selves thought it was very cool.

The boat turned around and came back and the occupants greeted us-and gave us each a cold Michelob. As the Michelob ads said at the time, it was a "completely unique experience".

Yes, Europe has jumped on the IPA wagon just like this country did.
The small microbreweries that have popped up everywhere over there are making them now. Traditional European beer drinkers are mystified by it, but the young people love it. I was in one in Munich a couple of years ago and had to laugh because they had seven different beers available and five of them were IPAs. Same thing in Prague. Who would ever have guessed it? :LOL:

IPAs, or India Pale Ales, were ales made in England with extra hops. Hops, while bitter, are a preservative, and were added to English ales so they would be drinkable when the barrels made it around the Cape to India. Rations of rum were common for British sailors, and ales were part of the rations for English troops stationed in India.

I don't know the name of one of my most memorable beers. It was just after the first Flying Saucer opened in Fort Worth and it's a "lot of taps" place. There was an old guy from England at the bar started telling me about a bottle of something (a stout or a porter, imported). He was quite persuasive and eloquent, so I ended up getting the bottle. As I drank it, he described the flavors with such intricacy that it became unforgettable. The setting, and this really cool Brit made that beer memorable for me.

My current favorites are bourbon barrel aged stouts. Most are local microbrews, but a rare commercial offering I like is Dragons Milk.

https://dragonsmilk.com/about-dragons-milk

I really don't like most pale ales (IPA). They're just kind of blah and boring. In general, the darker the better.

I've been buying random IPA's for the last few years and I've noticed they are now sweeter and have a mushier mouth feel than they 'ought' to. Lots of sweet pineapple taste. They're not awful, but don't seem to be a real IPA, imo. I prefer them to be somewhat bitter and crisp.

Most memorable beer - at the Florida Gaylord resort where my wife was attending a conference. Mid-afternoon I went to one of the many bars for a beer and a bite. Tried a Left Hand Double Milk Stout from Colorado and it was a meal in itself so I didn’t need anything to eat. What a great beer!

Most memorable beer - at the Florida Gaylord resort where my wife was attending a conference. Mid-afternoon I went to one of the many bars for a beer and a bite. Tried a Left Hand Double Milk Stout from Colorado and it was a meal in itself so I didn’t need anything to eat. What a great beer!

Reminds me of Blackbeard's Breakfast from Heavy Seas Beer, I need to look for that on draft again. Its a bourbon barrel imperial porter with a touch of coffee, caramel, and salt.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/898/153273/

The small microbreweries that have popped up everywhere over there are making them now. Traditional European beer drinkers are mystified by it, but the young people love it. I was in one in Munich a couple of years ago and had to laugh because they had seven different beers available and five of them were IPAs. Same thing in Prague. Who would ever have guessed it? :LOL:

IPAs are stronger and get you drunk faster than a light pilsner, which (IMO) give it greater youth appeal. I tend to prefer pilsners because if I'm going to have one, I'll probably have two!

Unfortunately, a lot of the great European pilsner brands have been swallowed up by the brewing conglomerates, to the point where you don't know if your getting the real thing or a brew bottled domestically. It's sad what has happened to Beck's since takeover by InBev -- it's still better than a domestic macro, but nothing like its original Bremen version.

While I love to try different beers, I have settled on two regulars. One is a Session from Full Sale that I enjoy very much. The other is from a local craft brewery that I like to think of as a dark pilsner. Not as heavy and dark as a most dark beers, and it keeps that crispness of a good pilsner. If one could blend beers like we do wines (or do people already do that?) I would put it at 70% pilsner and 30% a heavy dark brew in terms of its characteristics. Sounds a bit crazy, but I like it.

I drink a fair amount of craft beer. I only buy craft beers from independent brewers.........I won't buy anything from InBev. I started out drinking various styles of beer (pilsners, brown ales, blonde doppelbock, etc). After a while, I gravitated toward mostly pale ales and a few IPAs, as the hoppier beers became more and more appealing to me. Nowadays, I have a hard time drinking anything except a good IPA, and a few good pale ales. I might have pilsner or a Kolsch on a hot summer day, but if I have a beer in the evening, it has to be something on the hoppier side. I have also tried Belgians, and I absolutely cannot drink them (none of the ones I've tried, anyway).

my favorite beer is free beer. Second choice is Shiner. Third is yuengling.

my favorite beer is free beer. Second choice is Shiner. Third is yuengling.
I always say my two favorite beers are free and cold. X2 on Shiner Bock being a good choice anytime.

I like the west coast style IPAs better than east coast style. If given a choice, I will take a pale ale or IPA most any time.

Two types I do not like is wheat beers or Belgian style. Also not a real fan of the heavy stouts.

Since we always need a theme song:

Left Hand Brewing Nitro Milk Stout

Shiner Bock

Braman Secession

Ziegen Bock

St Arnold Lawnmower

Corona

Pacifico

Negro Modelo

I do like A&W in a frosty mug in the summer when the drive-in in a nearby town is open. :D
But being frugal, I'll usually pick up Shasta root beer when it's around $3 for a 12 pack at the grocery store and serve it up at home in A&W mugs that are kept in the freezer. :D

Attachments

• Frosty.PNG
    Frosty.PNG
    178.8 KB · Views: 119
When my son was in college he and his friends came up with a 1 thru 5 rating system for beer. Works every time.
1. If someone gave me one I would give it back.
2. Would drink it if someone else buys it.
3. Would try it again.
4. Would buy it from time to time.
5. Will keep it on hand at all times.

Right now my favorite beer is the IPA in my fermenter. I managed to run out of homebrew! :eek: :facepalm:

Actually, right now it's Bell's Hopslam. Bell's had a falling out with their distributor here in Virginia and withdrew from the state for over a year. They're back, and I'm loving it. When Hopslam's out of season, I like their Two Hearted Ale.

I do like A&W in a frosty mug in the summer when the drive-in in a nearby town is open. :D
But being frugal, I'll usually pick up Shasta root beer when it's around $3 for a 12 pack at the grocery store and serve it up at home in A&W mugs that are kept in the freezer. :D

When I was a kid I lived near the Dad's Root Beer bottling plant in Chicago. The building had a tall smokestack with a neon sign that progressively flashed "Dad's ... Root ... Beer." When I see Dad's on the supermarket shelf I'll pick it up from time to time.

I drink a fair amount of craft beer. I only buy craft beers from independent brewers.........I won't buy anything from InBev. I started out drinking various styles of beer (pilsners, brown ales, blonde doppelbock, etc). After a while, I gravitated toward mostly pale ales and a few IPAs, as the hoppier beers became more and more appealing to me. Nowadays, I have a hard time drinking anything except a good IPA, and a few good pale ales. I might have pilsner or a Kolsch on a hot summer day, but if I have a beer in the evening, it has to be something on the hoppier side. I have also tried Belgians, and I absolutely cannot drink them (none of the ones I've tried, anyway).
If you look for this, you can keep away from the "fake craft beer" that dominate the shelf space.
Brewers-Association-Independent-Craft-stamp-badge-logo-BeerPulse.jpg

Beer is like Ice cream

I like a lot of different flavors. In the winter, my tastes go to porters and stouts. In the summer, I tend to drink Hefeweisen and IPA's. My favorite for this winter was Kalamazoo Stout, which is made with brewing licorice.

Alas, i join others with sleeping issues after drinking beer too close to bedtime. It makes me a light sleeper, and it's harder not to get up and go to the bathroom. Day drinking rules! I never had those problems before age 55.

I like the coffee notes of pint of Guinness. Particularly when poured at a bar in Dublin.

About cost, I have a hard time buying the 4, 16 oz cans from the local breweies.. $13. I can get beer from breweries that have been brewing in Europe for a hundred years for less money, and I like it better. But I'm not into hops, so fresh isn't as much of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom