Your Favorite Beer

DW & I split a Polish Tatra beer at dinnertime....quite nice.

While in Ireland last month I tried quite a few local craft beers. Most were underwhelming but I found one I really enjoyed. Franciscan Well brewery in Cork makes an American style IPA called Chieftain. Highly recommended if you're over there.

Any wheat beer- I never really enjoyed beer until I found it. My favorite named wheat beer- Purple Haze- some place in CA I think.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

I recently discovered Session beer from Full Sail brewery.

What a delight. I had long given up on American pale lagar type beers because they tasted like sour fizz water to me. But this session beer is quite good. It has that distinctive beer taste, is crisp, and easy on the palate. With a low alcohol level I can even drink more than one.

Little Hazy Thing by Sierra Brewing. They even have it at the Yosemite Grocery Store in cans and upstairs bar on tap

I recently discovered Session beer from Full Sail brewery.

What a delight. I had long given up on American pale lagar type beers because they tasted like sour fizz water to me. But this session beer is quite good. It has that distinctive beer taste, is crisp, and easy on the palate. With a low alcohol level I can even drink more than one.

Oskar Blues has a pretty good pilsener called "Mama's Little Yella Pils." ABV is under 5%, and it should be available in the West -- we can buy it in Wisconsin.

Sam Adams' Noble Pils is also decent, although seasonal, I believe.

Lately my fave beer is a Scotch Ale by Genessee Brewing CO (GBC). Full bodied, heavy, great mouth feel, 7.5% abv, and on sale for $19.97 a case of 24 pints. Can't be beat. Snatched up 3 cases before they're all gone.

Perhaps my beer taste are unsophisticated but give me an ice cold tap yuengling and i am a happy fellow.

Lately my fave beer is a Scotch Ale by Genessee Brewing CO (GBC). Full bodied, heavy, great mouth feel, 7.5% abv, and on sale for $19.97 a case of 24 pints. Can't be beat. Snatched up 3 cases before they're all gone.

My homemade Scotch ale aged in a bourbon barrel turned out well, I'm sure it's higher than 7.5% ABV. Like your new favorite, it is rich and full bodied, and I won't drink more than two.

I agree Ray, Yeungling is a great beer. It was my "go to" beer before I started making my own.

I'm a Yuengling fan but ever since we came back from Cologne, I've converted to kolsch, particularly Gaffel.

I'm a Yuengling fan but ever since we came back from Cologne, I've converted to kolsch, particularly Gaffel.

One of the better ones. Reissdorf is more generally available in the US, and also excellent. My favorite in Cologne is Malzmühle, but you can only get it there. There is just nothing that compares to sitting in a pub in that city and drinking a Kölsch in those little glasses. One after another after another ...

Found a six pack of Gaffel at Total wine. Bought all that were sitting on the shelf. It will be my stash. Not sharing with SIL.

While waiting in the Dr's office earlier this week I read an article on the health effects of craft brews. I kid you not. Supposedly, low to moderate consumption of craft brews has similar benefits to consumption of red wine. Apparently, craft brews retain more of the healthy good stuff that is filtered out by the mass produced fizz water made by the major beer makers. Thankfully, I like both the craft brews and red wine.

While waiting in the Dr's office earlier this week I read an article on the health effects of craft brews. I kid you not. Supposedly, low to moderate consumption of craft brews has similar benefits to consumption of red wine.

That has been known for many years. The fact is that beer is, and always has been, food. Real beer is full of vitamins, minerals, and other things that are necessary for good health. In moderation, of course.

I had heard this somewhere but your comment that ‘beer is food’ made me look to see if this story about the Pilgrams was true. Guess it was.

“The ship’s captain, Capt. Jones, was worried because he still had to get his crew back to England, and they would need a certain amount of beer to make the trip. So he just dropped the Pilgrims off at the nearest landing site, which happened to be Plymouth Rock,...”

https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012...r-thanksgiving-lager-prohibition-history.html

Yes, the simple fact is that during the Middle Ages most people drank beer because their water was simply unsafe to drink. Since the brewing process involved boiling, the resulting liquid was sanitary and safe. Admittedly, normal table beer was very low alcohol, typically only 2-3%, but it was for children as much as adults.

I just spotted this post from Nemo. Among the Zwiec Polish brews, they make a porter that is flavorful and high octane.

And DW & I already wanted to get back to Poland! :(

Last edited:
My go-to beer is Troegs Perpetual IPA. However, if I'm not in the mood for a heavy strong beer (most of the time, honestly), I've become a big fan of Yuengling Flight. Of course, living 30 minutes down the road from the Yuengling brewery (the original), the oldest brewery in the US, I'm a bit biased. :)

Yes, the simple fact is that during the Middle Ages most people drank beer because their water was simply unsafe to drink. Since the brewing process involved boiling, the resulting liquid was sanitary and safe. Admittedly, normal table beer was very low alcohol, typically only 2-3%, but it was for children as much as adults.

Netflix used to have a documentary on it called "How Beer Saved the World" in which they showed (among other things) how brewing beer using nasty water from a hole in the earth, turned it into a beverage that was safe to drink.

I believe the above documentary is now on Amazon's video service. I am not sure if it comes free with Prime or not.

Health Effects

While waiting in the Dr's office earlier this week I read an article on the health effects of craft brews. I kid you not. Supposedly, low to moderate consumption of craft brews has similar benefits to consumption of red wine. Apparently, craft brews retain more of the healthy good stuff that is filtered out by the mass produced fizz water made by the major beer makers. Thankfully, I like both the craft brews and red wine.
I love beer, but I'm getting very picky about it lately, as the health trade-off has become very real to me.

I wish it wasn't true, but I find that my sleep is significantly disturbed by even one beer. So sad, because I love to drink beer! The chance of a long (90+ minutes) wake spell is about 4X with even one, 12oz, 7% beer with dinner. Compounded to that is the evening after a beer with dinner, before bed, I don't feel quite as good going to bed. This could be solved, of course, with more beer, hehe! But then my sleep would be even worse.

With one beer, my heart rate goes up, but not a lot. With two or more beers, my average heart rate over the course of the night goes up from around 52 to around 62, and my heart rate variability drops from 38ms to 28ms. So these aren't nothing, even though its hard to translate those measurements into how I feel.

All that being said, my favorites for the last few years have been those that derive their character from the yeast, more than from the hops. So Belgian styles are the ones I really have come to appreciate. Duvel comes to mind. I've tried to brew a Duvel clone. While mine was a great beer that I and others liked, it didn't quite live up to Duvel. And most of mine, when the keg gets disturbed, has plenty of vitamins, as the yeast gets stirred-up and we know that's full of those B vitamins!

My Go to beer is Brickstone APA. Other "light" beers I like - Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale, Jackalope Thunder Ann, SanTan Devil's Ale.

But I've been leaning more toward dark beers lately during fall and winter. North Coast Old Rasputin, New Holland Dragons milk, Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. Founders Porter and Great Lake Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

And I'll drink anything by 3 Floyds.

DW and I were big fans of Magnum PI back in the day. He always ordered his beer in a long neck. It was a much better weapon and didn't really depend on the brand - so just be sure mine is in a long neck.:cool: YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom