Your Favorite Beer

I'm a Wisconsin boy, and we do like our beer up here. But I avoid adjunct lagers because they're too thin for my taste. That includes all domestic macrobrews, Mexican/Caribbean beers, Asian beers and Canadian macrobeers. I'm not a big wheat beer fan either.

If I'm looking for a "lawnmower beer," I'll go with a light German pilsener like Bitburger, Warsteiner or Beck's. Their cereal content is 100% malted barley, as German law has traditionally required. No corn, no rice.

BTW, a company based near my home has made a successful business of producing hop oil extracts for the brewing industry. No self-respecting craft brewer would stoop to using such a product, IMO ... and the company is pretty tight-lipped about who its major customers are.

Edit: I dug a little, found that the hops company belongs to MillerCoors.

Last edited:
I'm a Wisconsin boy, and we do like our beer up here. But I avoid adjunct lagers because they're too thin for my taste. That includes all domestic macrobrews, Mexican/Caribbean beers, Asian beers and Canadian macrobeers. I'm not a big wheat beer fan either.

If I'm looking for a "lawnmower beer," I'll go with a light German pilsener like Bitburger, Warsteiner or Beck's. Their cereal content is 100% malted barley, as German law has traditionally required. No corn, no rice.

BTW, a company based near my home has made a successful business of producing hop oil extracts for the brewing industry. No self-respecting craft brewer would stoop to using such a product, IMO ... and the company is pretty tight-lipped about who its major customers are.

I'm sure it has to do with giving a "greener" image. My experience with growing hops in my backyard and brewing beer, is there's a lot of fluff with ripe hops and varied amounts of IBUs. By processing the hop oils at the source, a more exact number of IBUs is obtained, no transportation costs or pollution and no waste product at the brewery, both in cleaning water and solid waste disposal. Of course, a craft brewery is making smaller batches than A-B or MC, who use hops by the ton.

I'm sure it has to do with giving a "greener" image. My experience with growing hops in my backyard and brewing beer, is there's a lot of fluff with ripe hops and varied amounts of IBUs. By processing the hop oils at the source, a more exact number of IBUs is obtained, no transportation costs or pollution and no waste product at the brewery, both in cleaning water and solid waste disposal. Of course, a craft brewery is making smaller batches than A-B or MC, who use hops by the ton.

I'm sure it's all about consistency. The big brewers are to beer what McDonald's is to hamburgers -- they don't want variation in the product. Also, macrobrews are lightly hopped, so a subtle floral or woody note that might be lost in the extraction process won't be missed.

I spotted a new offering today at my local bottle shop from one of my favorite brewers, Unibroue of Chambly, Quebec. I happily ponied up $10 for a 4-pack.

It's called Ale Gateau Foret Noire. ...
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out for it. Certainly $10 for a 4 pack is a great deal on a Belgian Dark Strong. It's priced at $12 at the "total whine" site, but not even available at the local stores.

I'm still liking these "Bronzen Schild". Although they call it a Tripel, it tastes more like a BDS.

My current favorite. Belgian Tripel for $8.99 a 4 pack at Lidl:
One interesting finding I had on the "Bronzen Schild"... I decided to reuse these stronger/heavier bottles because I was making a highly carbonated beer myself (Duvel clone, so like 3.5 or 4 volumes CO2). When I soaked the labels off, I found that they covered-over the original expiration date with another label! Didn't matter to me because beers of this style get more interesting to me on the aged-end of the spectrum.

I mourn the loss of Zima... crisp, not sweet, and doesn't taste like the pickup loads of fermenting grass clippings I had to unload as a kid after mowing the lawn.

I mourn the loss of Zima... crisp, not sweet, and doesn't taste like the pickup loads of fermenting grass clippings I had to unload as a kid after mowing the lawn.

Hard seltzer is the next big thing.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out for it. Certainly $10 for a 4 pack is a great deal on a Belgian Dark Strong. It's priced at $12 at the "total whine" site, but not even available at the local stores.

I'm still liking these "Bronzen Schild". Although they call it a Tripel, it tastes more like a BDS.

I think that brewery also produces Piraat pale ale, doesn't it? I've had that beer, and it is excellent.

We visited Belgium for a couple weeks around 2000 and it really opened my eyes about beers. My sis was working there at the time, and in preparation for our visit she stocked her fridge with a bunch of different local beers for me. Nothing comes closer to ambrosia than a well-brewed Belgian ale

One interesting finding I had on the "Bronzen Schild"... I decided to reuse these stronger/heavier bottles because I was making a highly carbonated beer myself (Duvel clone, so like 3.5 or 4 volumes CO2). When I soaked the labels off, I found that they covered-over the original expiration date with another label! Didn't matter to me because beers of this style get more interesting to me on the aged-end of the spectrum.

Funny! The Unibroue Ale Gateau bottles I bought have a "best by" date of September 2023. I think I'll cellar a couple of them and see how they age.

What's your opinion of spotted cow? Speaking ill of New Glarus may cause the Wisconsin beer police to come to your door but I'm curious of an actual Wisconsinites take on it. We were fishing at Lake Delavan this weekend and I thought I would give it another shot (Probably my 5th attempt) but still I had trouble seeing the appeal. Perhaps because I really enjoy IPA's the Farmhouse Ale category is just not what my taste buds like. Curious to know your thoughts.

Miller Lite

I went "around the beer world" many times. 1 billion dark, hoppy, tangerine, sour, IPA, stout, lager beers out there. Too much choice.

I'm sticking with Miller Lite. :)

I love Double IPA's and Imperial Stouts from local breweries. But be careful, the alcohol content will get you quickly!

I’m currently drinking a home brewed Belgian (style!) Dubbel paired with some Brie on crackers. ER is good! For those interested the recipe is called Black Scapular Dubbel. Good stuff.

But in general I still subscribe to the sentiment of Charlie Papazian - my favorite beer is the one in front of me!

What's your opinion of spotted cow? Speaking ill of New Glarus may cause the Wisconsin beer police to come to your door but I'm curious of an actual Wisconsinites take on it. We were fishing at Lake Delavan this weekend and I thought I would give it another shot (Probably my 5th attempt) but still I had trouble seeing the appeal. Perhaps because I really enjoy IPA's the Farmhouse Ale category is just not what my taste buds like. Curious to know your thoughts.

New Glarus makes some fantastic beers, and then there are the beers that pay the rent. Spotted Cow falls into the latter category, IMO. It's flavor is pretty restained, kind of a light Fat Tire. They have several other very popular light-flavored beers, like Two Women (a wheat edit: sorry, a helles), Fat Squirrel (a mild brown ale) and Moon Man (an American pale ale).

If you want to explore the serious side of New Glarus, check out their Thumbprint brews -- you might like Scream IIPA . There are several Flemish sour beers on the menu, along with an imperial weizenbock that is just totally insane. They come and go in stores as they roll out of the brewhouse.

Among their seasonals They make a very respectable oktoberfest. Their Uff-da bock is also excellent -- and I like my bockbiers.

When New Glarus started brewing, they made news by importing an antique brew kettle from Dortmund. When I read that, I thought they might be all hat and no cattle. But I've changed my mind. I suggest you tour their brewery sometime if you get up into Wisconsin on a regular basis. The village of New Glarus is in the ethnically Swiss part of Wisconsin, so check out some cheese while you're up here.

Last edited:
Favorite is home-brew. You can get the hardware to brew beer for a couple hundred bucks. Then if you stick with basic recipes, the ingredients are about $30 for five gallons = less than $1 a beer. It's one of the few things that you can make yourself for much less than you pay at the store.

One of my current favorites is Resin by Sixpoint Brewery, an Imperial IPA:
https://sixpoint.com/beers/resin/

Brewed in Brooklyn, that one may be out of my neighborhood. It got me reading a bit about IPAs, though. Like rap music, there's apparently an East Coast style and a West Coast style. A blogger describes the difference, but I suspect he's from the West Coast. https://medium.com/@DennisWillisIV/east-coast-vs-west-coast-ipa-what-is-the-difference-and-why-you-should-care-aabda2840c3c

Favorite is home-brew. You can get the hardware to brew beer for a couple hundred bucks. Then if you stick with basic recipes, the ingredients are about $30 for five gallons = less than $1 a beer. It's one of the few things that you can make yourself for much less than you pay at the store.

I've gone the homebrew route, but I find that leaves me with too much beer in the house. Such a dilemma!

I’m currently drinking a home brewed Belgian (style!) Dubbel paired with some Brie on crackers. ER is good! For those interested the recipe is called Black Scapular Dubbel. Good stuff.

But in general I still subscribe to the sentiment of Charlie Papazian - my favorite beer is the one in front of me!

We had a saying at w*rk -- I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Q ginger beer. Quite good when watered down with vodka and lime juice and a bit of carbonated water and ice.

Not a beer fan, which is kinda funny since Independence Oregon has a Hop festival every year and grew/grows massive amounts of hop vines

"Today, you can’t find Zima anywhere in the US, though it is sold in Japan. However, thanks to a recent post on Zima’s Facebook page revealing a recipe, you can make something that tastes like it at home. We couldn’t resist. Here, DIY Zima:"

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/you-can-make-your-own-zima-so-we-did

My current favorite beer is Monks' Ale from Abbey Brewing Company in Moriarty, NM.

"Abbey Brewing Company, on the grounds of and affiliated with the Benedictine Monastery of Christ in the Desert [Abiquiu, New Mexico], continues the 1300-year tradition of monastic brewing and crafting fine beers that are made with “care and prayer®.”Our dedication to quality comes from St. Benedict’s 6th-century document “Rule of Saint Benedict”.
It instructs each monk to bring all good works to perfection for the glory of God (Prologue:4)."

My current favorite beer is Monks' Ale from Abbey Brewing Company in Moriarty, NM.

"Abbey Brewing Company, on the grounds of and affiliated with the Benedictine Monastery of Christ in the Desert [Abiquiu, New Mexico], continues the 1300-year tradition of monastic brewing and crafting fine beers that are made with “care and prayer®.”Our dedication to quality comes from St. Benedict’s 6th-century document “Rule of Saint Benedict”.
It instructs each monk to bring all good works to perfection for the glory of God (Prologue:4)."

Since you are local-ish to Moriarity, I assume you are aware most of the commercially sold Monk's Ale is actually produced by Sierra Blanca Brewery (SBB), coincidentally also in Moriarity, NM. SBB has produced it for many years. SBB also makes the Isotopes Amber beer that is sold at the Albuquerque Isotopes (AAA level baseball team for the Colorado Rockies for the rest reading this) ballgames.

Welcome to Rio Grande & Sierra Blanca Brewing Company!

I used to live only about 10 miles west from SBB, and about 1/4 mile as the crow flies from the SBB owner's home. We lived in same neighborhood and were good acquaintances. I used to keep two different kegs of SBB beers on tap in my kegerator. So I am probably biased with my liking SBB beers, facility and several of the employees/owners.

Have you been to the SBB? They made a nice outside beer garden a few years back. Nice for happy hour and to also be able to try some of the seasonal special brews they make and are generally only available on tap. To be honest the SBB is about the only thing I miss about NM, besides some friends and the generally nice low humidity weather. I left there 2 years ago when I retired and moved to be near family.

One of my current favorites is Resin by Sixpoint Brewery, an Imperial IPA:
https://sixpoint.com/beers/resin/
Brewed in Brooklyn, that one may be out of my neighborhood. It got me reading a bit about IPAs, though. Like rap music, there's apparently an East Coast style and a West Coast style. A blogger describes the difference, but I suspect he's from the West Coast. https://medium.com/@DennisWillisIV/...fference-and-why-you-should-care-aabda2840c3c
Actually I like everything from this Brooklyn hipster brewery - check them out if you have a chance. And thanks for that article.

I like a caramel stout a local brewery brews. If there's not enough sweet in it they'll add a scoop of ice cream.

I like a caramel stout a local brewery brews. If there's not enough sweet in it they'll add a scoop of ice cream.

I couldn't even begin to comment on that. :yuk:

Have you been to the SBB? They made a nice outside beer garden a few years back. Nice for happy hour and to also be able to try some of the seasonal special brews they make and are generally only available on tap. To be honest the SBB is about the only thing I miss about NM, besides some friends and the generally nice low humidity weather. I left there 2 years ago when I retired and moved to be near family.

Not yet. it is on my do do list. I've only been here since 2017. There are now a large number of small breweries that I'm making my way through. There was a Monks' tap room downtown we went to, but it closed late last year. Myself and a couple of other people tried to get them to move it to Bernalillo, and under served area, but they did not. Bosque brewing then opened up a huge brewery and taproom in Bernalillo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom