Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Crash Plan to automatically backup to a local external drive and to the cloud.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dropbox works great for me.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We usually have at least one of our backup drives in the safety deposit box at the bank, and duplicates of a few other drives. Things get updated and swapped out whenever we go on a trip, so the stuff there is not that old.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used dropbox on a job once, actually the entire office used it. It worked very well and easily.
Currently I do the at home backup thing, and the prospect of fire is an issue I had not really thought about too much.
We have very slow internet 1.5 mbps and 0.3 upload so I never considered the online even for photos. (I would want to encrypt tax forms first before uploading).

But we are getting faster internet tomorrow so maybe I'll check out the online options because of this thread
Old 10-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

OneDrive works well for me. As a Microsoft user, I like how my cell phone pics automatically show up on my Surface's pictures app.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have been trying to back up my files to Outlook One Drive with very poor results. Supposedly, I get 15 GB of free cloud storage; I only need about 5 GB of that. I have a fast (up to 75 mbps) upload speed with Verizon FIOS. Still, the upload keeps hanging or glitching.
I use OneDrive for files that I need to have available to me on all my devices (Windows and Android; home and mobile). I've got 1.82 GB in 1512 files. The only problems I ever have with it are:

[a] Occasionally, on my desktop, even when connected to the Internet, Microsoft Word will open the local copy rather than checking the cloud for an update. It warns me about a "problem", and offers me a button to fix the problem, which has always worked.

[b] Occasionally, when I open a file, in Microsoft Word again, and then close it quickly (perhaps I just needed to check something in the file quickly), the synchronization gets "wonky". I'm warned by OneDrive about it, reopen the file in Microsoft Word, wait a few seconds, and then close Microsoft Word, and all works itself out.

[c] Occasionally, my Android devices have trouble connecting to OneDrive. However, that's almost surely a problem with the Internet connection itself, rather than anything related to OneDrive.

[d] In that case, I sometimes have a problem opening a file I have designated to store on my tablet from within the Outlook.com OneDrive tab. Instead, I have to open it from the OneDrive app directly. The Outlook.com app is definitely a work-in-progress, so living without the dedicated OneDrive app, for now, is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm aware of other file storage utilities, such as Google Drive, and wondered if anyone is having good results with them.
I use Google Drive for a few, specific needs. Right now there is 1.09 MB in 7 files. Generally, what's there are files I need to share with others, rather than just between my own devices. It's not that OneDrive cannot do that - it's just that practically everyone I know has a Google account, and a fewer number of people have an Outlook.com (Hotmail, Live, etc.) account. Reflexively, I could use Google Drive for everything I use OneDrive for, but I find OneDrive to be more reliable and feature-packed given that most of what I store are Microsoft Office files. As a matter of fact, with one exception, six of those seven files currently in Google Drive are either Google Docs or Google Sheets, rather than Microsoft Word or Excel files - again, given that the former are more easily share-able with others.

From a broader perspective, other than those minor differences I noted above, the two services are quite comparable to each other. They have to be. If one gets to be substantially better than the other, they're sunk. So far, I have seen absolutely no indication that either company is willing to cede this space to the other. That's good for us, the users.

I use Carbonite for cloud backup - which is quite different from cloud storage, of course. However, the mechanism is not all that different in the context of how a lot of people use cloud storage. If OneDrive and Google Drive weren't free, then I could make use of Carbonite for about half of what I use OneDrive for (but not for anything I use Google Drive for, as per what I wrote above).

I have a DropBox account. I haven't found it to be especially useful. It seems to me to be more of a techie's tool, and while I'm a techie I prefer that the tools I use treat me more like a regular user.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't use cloud storage. Instead I run scheduled backups every day of my system and important data locally to a separate drive.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #28

I don't back up my whole system to the cloud, but I back up my only remaining work files and large video files on Dropbox. It's great for backup, and has the ability to allow user defined access to other users.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We usually have at least one of our backup drives in the safety deposit box at the bank, and duplicates of a few other drives. Things get updated and swapped out whenever we go on a trip, so the stuff there is not that old.

Audrey- IIRC, you have a Mac. Is your multiple backup system as easy as swapping out external drives? Do time machine preferences need to manually changed when you change drives - a different drive name, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Dropbox. I pay for the service as I am over the free limit. Find it very simple and convenient. I am amazed at the number of Dropbox users.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Tags
backup, cloud storage, file backup, file transfer