Your favorite cloud storage utility

I have been trying to back up my files to Outlook One Drive with very poor results. Supposedly, I get 15 GB of free cloud storage; I only need about 5 GB of that. I have a fast (up to 75 mbps) upload speed with Verizon FIOS. Still, the upload keeps hanging or glitching.
I use OneDrive for files that I need to have available to me on all my devices (Windows and Android; home and mobile). I've got 1.82 GB in 1512 files. The only problems I ever have with it are:

[a] Occasionally, on my desktop, even when connected to the Internet, Microsoft Word will open the local copy rather than checking the cloud for an update. It warns me about a "problem", and offers me a button to fix the problem, which has always worked.

Occasionally, when I open a file, in Microsoft Word again, and then close it quickly (perhaps I just needed to check something in the file quickly), the synchronization gets "wonky". I'm warned by OneDrive about it, reopen the file in Microsoft Word, wait a few seconds, and then close Microsoft Word, and all works itself out.

[c] Occasionally, my Android devices have trouble connecting to OneDrive. However, that's almost surely a problem with the Internet connection itself, rather than anything related to OneDrive.

[d] In that case, I sometimes have a problem opening a file I have designated to store on my tablet from within the Outlook.com OneDrive tab. Instead, I have to open it from the OneDrive app directly. The Outlook.com app is definitely a work-in-progress, so living without the dedicated OneDrive app, for now, is not an option.

I'm aware of other file storage utilities, such as Google Drive, and wondered if anyone is having good results with them.
I use Google Drive for a few, specific needs. Right now there is 1.09 MB in 7 files. Generally, what's there are files I need to share with others, rather than just between my own devices. It's not that OneDrive cannot do that - it's just that practically everyone I know has a Google account, and a fewer number of people have an Outlook.com (Hotmail, Live, etc.) account. Reflexively, I could use Google Drive for everything I use OneDrive for, but I find OneDrive to be more reliable and feature-packed given that most of what I store are Microsoft Office files. As a matter of fact, with one exception, six of those seven files currently in Google Drive are either Google Docs or Google Sheets, rather than Microsoft Word or Excel files - again, given that the former are more easily share-able with others.

From a broader perspective, other than those minor differences I noted above, the two services are quite comparable to each other. They have to be. If one gets to be substantially better than the other, they're sunk. So far, I have seen absolutely no indication that either company is willing to cede this space to the other. That's good for us, the users.

I use Carbonite for cloud backup - which is quite different from cloud storage, of course. However, the mechanism is not all that different in the context of how a lot of people use cloud storage. If OneDrive and Google Drive weren't free, then I could make use of Carbonite for about half of what I use OneDrive for (but not for anything I use Google Drive for, as per what I wrote above).

I have a DropBox account. I haven't found it to be especially useful. It seems to me to be more of a techie's tool, and while I'm a techie I prefer that the tools I use treat me more like a regular user.

Last edited:
I don't use cloud storage. Instead I run scheduled backups every day of my system and important data locally to a separate drive.

I don't back up my whole system to the cloud, but I back up my only remaining work files and large video files on Dropbox. It's great for backup, and has the ability to allow user defined access to other users.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We usually have at least one of our backup drives in the safety deposit box at the bank, and duplicates of a few other drives. Things get updated and swapped out whenever we go on a trip, so the stuff there is not that old.

Audrey- IIRC, you have a Mac. Is your multiple backup system as easy as swapping out external drives? Do time machine preferences need to manually changed when you change drives - a different drive name, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Another Dropbox. I pay for the service as I am over the free limit. Find it very simple and convenient. I am amazed at the number of Dropbox users.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom