Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Your Input on Teenager/Money Issue
Old 10-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Al, did you decide what to do?
Yes. I sent her the document below and also the first couple of pages of this discussion (it takes a village forum).

We talked about things on the phone last night. She's generally on board, and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Jenny's Budget and Finances for the Remainder of Sophomore Year
Oct 21, 2006

This document describes how we are going to handle your finances for the rest of this year. You and Mom and I will discuss this before we put this into effect.

Last year you created your budget for all of freshman year, and you started out with that amount ($1,973). By February that money was used up, in part because you had to pay start up costs for your painting internship (car, insurance, etc.).

We gave you interest-free loans totaling $7,250 to cover your startup costs and summer expenses. This loan was to be paid off in full on Oct. 15, 2006. 

You worked extremely hard with your painting company, but because your expenses were high, you ended up with a net loss for the summer. 

The expenses were high due in part to:

High cell phone costs
	High automobile expenses
	Overdraft fees
Your income was lower than you expected despite your hard work, in part because you had not fully understood all of the profit sharing agreements.

The bottom line is that you ended up with a loss of about $1,000 for the spring/summer, and were not able to pay off the loans.

Basis of New Financial Arrangement

Last year we gave you a lump sum for the year, and let you manage your expenses. This year we'll do things differently. The new arrangement is based on three things:

1.	Your responsibility for your summer losses
3.	Your lack of accounting for expenses
5.	Your attitude about the loan and spending
Your Responsibility

I do not fault you for not making a profit this summer. You took a risk, and worked very hard. I doubt that you could have worked harder. However, you failed to make money, and you, as an adult, are the one that needs to accept the consequences of that. 

Accounting For Expenses

By failing to keep track of your expenses, you had no idea until September that you were not making enough money to cover your expenses. You also failed to pay attention to the agreements with CWP that dictated how much money you'd receive for each job. Finally, by not balancing your checkbook, you incurred large overdraft fees, and have at least one major expense ($285) for which you cannot account.

When I sent you an email on Sept 8 that summarized your loan amounts, and told you when they were due, you did not reply. When I sent you an email on Oct 14, saying:

The due date for the loan is tomorrow. Can you please pay me back as much as possible, and tell me what the status of future payments is?

you did not reply. Your sentence in an unrelated email on Oct 18, "Oh, and I have no money...." is not a reply to that. 

If in September, you had called and said "Sorry, it looks as if I'm not going to be able pay off the loan" it would have helped .

New Financial Arrangement

Currently you have $119 in your checking account and $500 in your Vanguard money market account. Please confirm the Vanguard amount, then write me a Vanguard check for $400, mail it, and send me an email telling me that it's on its way.

When you receive the check from the insurance company, deposit it and transfer that amount to me. Same for any additional money your receive from CWP.

Here is a suggested budget that I came up with, based in part on the budget you created for yourself last year:

Jenny's Sophomore Year Budget	
	Per Month	Per 6.5 Month Period
Travel	0	0
Books	52	340
Laundry	20	
Food (non-meal-plan)	15	
Toiletries	10	
Entertainment	20	
Miscellaneous	50	
Clothing	15	
Total	182	
Income	288	1875
The income estimate is based on $75 per week, with 25 weeks of work between now and May 9.

Thus, according to this budget, your income will exceed your expenses by $100 each month. 

Every month, you will transfer or mail a check for $50 to me such that it arrives before the first of the month. The first check will be due Nov 10, and every other check will be due on the first of the month. Please send me an email today saying "No Rubfish Removal" to prove to me that you read this document. If you cannot make a payment, let me know in advance. In addition, you will include a statement that shows what you spent money on during the preceding month. The statement should look something like this:

which represents your last month of spending.

I recommend that you try to save $50 per month for your next summer startup costs. We will probably not want to loan you money, so saving could be the difference between working in St. Louis or at Aztec grill.

Also, I would like you to read each email that we send you, and reply to it if appropriate.

I've tried to find a balance between helping with money and letting you take responsibility for it. We will not require you to pay back the entire $7,250 loan as long as you stick to the above arrangement.

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a very fair, honorable, equitable, and (most importantly) fatherly way of handling the matter. Good luck, and hopefully her endeavor last summer will be one of the most valuable things she learned in college.

Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Please send me an email today saying "No Rubfish Removal" to prove to me that you read this document.
LOL....nice way of checking!

Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

My college budget for incidentals, clothes, dates, snacks, beer and sandwiches etc. over 40 years ago was in the same ballpark as your daughter's is today.

It seems like a very austere budget.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with the austerity comment. I would have been hard pressed to stick to that in 1978. But I think you handled the situation reasonably, given her lack of response to your e-mails. Hope Jenny does too!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Right. We'll see what happens. I remember that I was on a stipend of $319 per month in grad school (around '79), and I paid off $100 per month on a loan from my sister. I'm remembering that rent was about $50 and guessing that food was $90/month, so I was spending $79/month on non room and board stuff. Inflation calculator says that's about $220 in today's dollars.

But I sure don't know. I can't wait until her finances and ours are independent!

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote