Zihuatanejo is where I went for my honeymoon in 1995!

I guess if they were to remake Shawshank Redemption today they might have to change their escape fantasy destination to someplace safer like, oh I don't know....Kabul?

I just find it sad, it is a beautiful place........

I just find it sad, it is a beautiful place........
it is indeed. Much foolishness has been written on this board over the past few years, about how Mexico is safer than the US, etc, etc. Some has come from people with something to sell, a lot from people who are only trying to deal with cognitive dissonance.

The will to believe is a very strong deterrent to seeing what is in front of your eyes.

Mexico cannot handle this amount and ferocity and lawlessness from a very well financed, very well armed outlaw 5th column. We undoubtedly already have "advisors" down there, as in Colombia and other hotspots in Latin America. But Mexican politics have for a very long time hung on the generally good principle of keeping the Yanqui devil al norte. Reasonably enough many Mexicans believe that were it not for US drug failings, and US arms merchants they would not be having these terrible problems.

Ha

it is indeed. Much foolishness has been written on this board over the past few years, about how Mexico is safer than the US, etc, etc. Some has come from people with something to sell, a lot from people who are only trying to deal with cognitive dissonance.

The will to believe is a very strong deterrent to seeing what is in front of your eyes.

Mexico cannot handle this amount and ferocity and lawlessness from a very well financed, very well armed outlaw 5th column. We undoubtedly already have "advisors" down there, as in Colombia and other hotspots in Latin America. But Mexican politics have for a very long time hung on the generally good principle of keeping the Yanqui devil al norte. Reasonably enough many Mexicans believe that were it not for US drug failings, and US arms merchants they would not be having these terrible problems.

Ha

One of my sons is studying Mexico, and he says he wants to go there. I don't have the heart to tell him it ain't happening.........

No desire what so ever to go down there. I'm sure there are a lot of pretty areas to see, but there is plenty here in the U.S. to keep me occupied.

We undoubtedly already have "advisors" down there, as in Colombia and other hotspots in Latin America. But Mexican politics have for a very long time hung on the generally good principle of keeping the Yanqui devil al norte.
I doubt it, for the very reason you give. There may be some DEA people in residence, allowed to pursue narcotraficantes by the DF, but armed green uniforms--I seriously doubt.

There are still some places in my sights (Xalapa, Tepic and Lake Chapala area), but I am watching the news all the time. Tepic and Lake Chapala area have had incidents recently.

I doubt it, for the very reason you give. There may be some DEA people in residence, allowed to pursue narcotraficantes by the DF, but armed green uniforms--I seriously doubt.
I would doubt this too. But if there are not CIA and contractors down there, when Mexico is clearly of greater importance to us than Afghanistan, someone is not thinking particularly well. Of course that would not be a novel occurance

Ha

Those tourist areas have not experienced much of the violence so far. But there have been some incidents reported in them.

Most times the victims are criminals.... but not always.

I read where there was a firebombing of a Cancun night club. Looks like it was done because the owner did not pay his protection money to gangsters.

8 Reported Dead in Cancun, Mexico, Firebombing

It would not surprise me if many of the resorts pay protection money to keep the profits flowing.

It appears there is a group of vigilantes that are going after one of the cartels. Some think it is just a rival drug gang masquerading... others think it is a group of vigilantes that are fed up.

'Zeta Killers' say they target Mexican drug cartel - CNN

The state department issued a an update to their travel warning.

Parts of Guerrero are included in the warning... which is where Zihuatanejo is located along with Ixtapa.

Mexico

Their opinion on popular resort areas:

Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems and can occur anywhere. While most victims of violence are Mexican citizens associated with criminal activity, the security situation poses serious risks for U.S. citizens as well.
It is imperative that you understand the risks involved in travel to Mexico and how best to avoid dangerous situations. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where criminal activity might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom