Indonesia Diving and Komodo National Park; Yes, it is worth the long journey

2017ish

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We started this trip with 2 weeks in Raja Ampat (land based), a day diving in Amed, Bali, and 10 days on a Komodo Liveaboard. After this, Caribbean diving will never seem the same; I suspect we'll be back here several times again. I've included a link to DW's pertinent blog post, where we have pictures and video (and no ads), for each of our destinations.

The sheer number of both species and fish bodies was amazing in Raja; it easily surpassed even New Ireland in New Guinea and Morovo Lagoon in the Solomons. A couple of our safety stops (which turned into 15-20 minute sojourns) would have ranked among our top dives ever (about 650 dives total). We saw everything from Manta Rays to Pygmy Seahorses. Extremely lucky highlight was a blue-ringed octopus being attacked and eaten by a cheek-lined wrasse (likely ID). Great video, even though both protagonists were likely dead by the time I exited the water. The diving here can be easy, or it can be in strong currents--you and the boat operator can decide. (Kri Eco resort was our location). Here is DW's post summing up 13 days of diving there: https://www.lisajtravels.com/getting-started/2023/5/5/diving-in-west-papua-indonesia

Komodo was also amazing, with more of an emphasis on current dives and big fish, although DW managed to find many good small subjects. We had our butts kicked by a couple of the dives. After this, we believe that we need better fins and some more experience fighting currents. (Had several times where currents were other than expected--and then a couple when fairly strong down currents from the surface manifested at the end of the dive. We dealt with everything OK, but want to be better!) Here is DW's blog on Komodo National Park above and below water, with the second half being focused on diving: https://www.lisajtravels.com/getting-started/2023/5/23/komodo-indonesia

Finally, in Amed, Bali, we made the best of a stay unfortunately shortened due to scheduling constraints. Did a couple of shore-based "muck" dives in clean sand bottom that sloped fairly steeply. Neat, easy dives with interesting life. The town is laidback and relaxed--far different than Ubud, where we spent 5 days later in the trip. Here is link to DW's first Bali post, which includes Amed diving: https://www.lisajtravels.com/getting-started/2023/5/25/bali

All told, the first half of this trip involved 22 days of diving, 73 dives, and a lot of pictures and memories. Nonetheless, we haven't regretted sending our gear back home so that we can focus on land-based adventures for a while!

Wow those are some beautiful pictures for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Great photos and videos! We’ve been to North Sulawesi but not to Raja. Great footage of the wrasse and the octopus!! Thanks for sharing.

I have eye floaters and I thought the post title as 'driving in Indonesia' and I immediatedly responded, no, no way, nope, nada......
Explored Bali, loved Ubud, snorkeled in Bali, loved it.

I have eye floaters and I thought the post title as 'driving in Indonesia' and I immediatedly responded, no, no way, nope, nada......

Explored Bali, loved Ubud, snorkeled in Bali, loved it.

Hah! Love it. :LOL: Agree, no way would I drive in Bali, and we've driven in many countries, including long trips in Jordan, Colombia, Argentina, and Chile.

Now in Malaysia and, at least in Kuala Lumpur, the roads are not as daunting. Amazing traffic volume at times during the day, but the plague of motorcycles and scooters is absent--and the roads are MUCH better. The Malaysian section of Borneo (Sabah) was also better than Bali--although we were on marginal roadways in conservation protected areas for most of that stint. (Due to the nature of the trip, still not driving here, but I'd consider it in the future.)

Back
Top Bottom