2016 YTD investment performance thread

UK Investor. Up 12.6% YTD. A big positive of the recent increases is that it pushed me over the FI line 2 weeks ago. In total my journey took me 8.7 years.

Now I just need to clean up a few loose ends for a Mediteranean FIRE while hopefully avoiding OMY. I should be FIRE'd at age 44 and am so looking forward to the next part of my journey.

No Brexit effect?

YTD is 10.63%. That includes interest on cash which is about 15% of the money. Feeling pretty good for a bear with little brain.

Cheers!

No Brexit effect?
Brexit vote resulted in GBP weakening which boosted a portfolio measured in GBP.

Even though moving to the Med will stay a 'UK based' investor at least for a few years just in case doesn't work out. GBP: EUR exchange rate used for calculations is worst case average annual (1.123) since currencies inception so all still good.

I wonder if we should report returns in this thread in USD. A poster with a portfolio in a hyperinflationary currency will look like they are knocking it out of the park while in fact they are not and it skews the results for the majority of other participants.

I wonder if we should report returns in this thread in USD. A poster with a portfolio in a hyperinflationary currency will look like they are knocking it out of the park while in fact they are not and it skews the results for the majority of other participants.
:cool:

Well then, I guess I can add another 6.13% to this year's return due to the appreciation of CAD. But it seems silly to report a 14.3% YTD gain in USD when I spend CAD, in Canada. So I think I'll just keep reporting the results in my home currency and ignore the exchange rate.

Can I report in Argentina currency? 40% inflation so far this year there.

Well then, I guess I can add another 6.13% to this year's return due to the appreciation of CAD. But it seems silly to report a 14.3% YTD gain in USD when I spend CAD, in Canada. So I think I'll just keep reporting the results in my home currency and ignore the exchange rate.

Agreed, your home currency is the right metric, as we are making bets to profit by that unit. If the need to compare investors performance across home currency exists, just adjust for inflation.

After that, we can each get a ruler then unzip our....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have USD and CAD (I live in Canada although more than 90% of my asset is still in USD) and it is getting too difficult to calculate exactly. Last year, I converted CAD to USD and came up with the percentage. I don't know what I will do this year.

Last edited:
We now live mostly in the UK and about 8% of our money is now in GBP in UK savings accounts earning about 1.3%. (we'll be buying a house over here in the next 12 - 18 months). The rest is in USD so I convert GBP to USD in the spreadsheet I use to calculate IRR.

The strength of the $ v the £ has been great for us this year as we have spent a lot furnishing a rented house, buying a car etc.

If we want to go pedantic, let's post real returns in our home currencies :)

Will do wonders for Argentina indeed, or Venezuela.

Up 7.1% YTD. Will probably sell equities (at 62/48 now) tomorrow to get back to 60/40 AA. Seems that August/September have had their bumps in some past markets. Trying to enjoy the ride and not get anxious about portfolio heights.

No international equities at current time. All US value tilted at present.

Last edited:
Up 6.79% ytd after withdrawals.

Comparison between accounts:
401k +7.91%
After tax port +6.68%
Annuity -0.35
IRA managed by FA +6.01%
AT&T stock +25.81% (had to double-check that one)

Down a little from end of last quarter but overall YTD up + 9.1%.
Asset allocation = 78% equities, 22% fixed.
No plans for changes to portfolio until 2017 unless we get a big dip (buying opportunity).

YTD, I am up 9%, (that's treating the ytd wd as a loss). :dance: Asset allocation is 85% equity. 15% treasury and cash

I guess I should count on that level of return for the rest of the year, and even for the next 30+ years!!:rolleyes::nonono:

Last edited:
Including new contributions, up 10.9% with AA of 70/27/3. New contributions have ended for the year, so hoping we can keep these gains.

2% for the month of July, 13% for YTD.

That's why I ordered up those truffles - :)

July was definitely a good month. I just checked my numbers, and my net worth shot up around 3.9%. And while that includes some additional investment, it wasn't much...maybe contributing to about 0.12% of that number.

For the year, my return (actual return, not counting additional investments), is about 7.44%. The power of compounding is nice. Even though this year has been fairly meh, percentage-wise, in raw dollar terms, it's my 5th best year ever. Only 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013 were better, in terms of dollar gains. Of course, the year's not over yet. Guess we could hit the jackpot, or crap out...

OK YTD 8.4% as of 8/9. This is a moderate 53/47 allocation with minimal foreign. Mostly LCV equities and Corporate intermediate bonds. I am mostly using a few VG funds and one Target 2030 fund at Fidelity. Includes dividends through June. Standard deviation targeting <8%, but with bonds I am concerned how to better allocate for lower risk. I have been very happy with the lower volatility with fair returns.

According to Fidelity's OpenFolio stats:
1 year returns for
50 - 64 year olds .67%
Average investor -.02%
Top 25 percentile 15.63%

Back
Top Bottom