2016 YTD investment performance thread

Vanguard only gives IRR for 1 year, as best I can tell.
For our retirement accounts, 1YR IRR is 10.1%.

Too lazy to calculate the IRR YTD. Can wait until 12/31/2016.

Vanguard only gives IRR for 1 year, as best I can tell.
For our retirement accounts, 1YR IRR is 10.1%.

Too lazy to calculate the IRR YTD. Can wait until 12/31/2016.

Here is a simple calculator that many of us are using for this thread. All you need to know is beginning value, ending value, contributions and distributions.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/portfolio_performance_calculator.htm

Actually, contributions and distributions can be net... if positive then additions, if negative then withdrawals. To be clear, dividends refer to dividends taken in cash, not dividends reinvested.

Here is a simple calculator that many of us are using for this thread. All you need to know is beginning value, ending value, contributions and distributions.

Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

Actually, contributions and distributions can be net... if positive then additions, if negative then withdrawals. To be clear, dividends refer to dividends taken in cash, not dividends reinvested.
Yes, I've done that from time to time. Too much work. I don't download contributions and distributions in Vanguard accounts. When I retire I'll have time to do it.

Just checked my spreadsheet. Total "nest egg" is up 6.7% on a ~50/45/5 since 01/01/16.

If I was not taking and spending distributions from my taxable account to supplement pension, I'd probably be ~1% higher.

Ha! Indeed!

I'm pretty happy with our return, too! Of course I would want it to be more, but I'm not willing to increase the risk level for the reward. Just happy to be matching our benchmark (we were lagging for a while).

I don't know what benchmark you use, but I often compare myself to Wellesley and Wellington (blame this on Psssttt... Uncle Mick
), even though these MFs have no foreign stocks and I do. They also have bonds and I don't.

Here's the performance of what I use (data from Morningstar as of close of market on 9/1/16).

S&P 500 (VFINX): 7.71% YTD
Total Bond (BND): 6.08% YTD
Wellington (VWENX): 7.77% YTD
Wellesley (VWIAX): 9.22% YTD

Again, considering my wad of cash with yield of 1-2%, my 7.09% YTD is not shabby.

Last edited:
I don't know what benchmark you use, but I often compare myself to Wellesley and Wellington (blame this on Psssttt... Uncle Mick
), even though these MFs have no foreign stocks and I do. They also have bonds and I don't.

Here's the performance of what I use (data from Morningstar as of close of market on 9/1/16).

S&P 500 (VFINX): 7.71% YTD
Total Bond (BND): 6.08% YTD
Wellington (VWENX): 7.77% YTD
Wellesley (VWIAX): 9.22% YTD

Again, considering my wad of cash with yield of 1-2%, my 7.09% YTD is not shabby.

I use DGSIX. It's YTD as of close on 8/31/16 was 6.99%.

According to my research a while ago DGSIX could be described as the following: Global 60/40 - small-cap and value-tllted with DFA fund managers (41% US, 18% Internat, 37% bond, 4% other). This is very similar to our portfolio, except not sure it has as much real estate, energy, and emerging markets as we have - this may account for differences between it and our portfolio.

Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

I've been doing the even more basic formula of adding-back the YTD spending to my current balance. But that presumes that I had all my money working for me until the point of the calculation, which of course, it wasn't. It turns out it's only a handful of hundredths of a percent different (but I'll take whatever I can get!) I know that it's only this small amount because, wait for it..., I updated my spreadsheet to do the calculation "more right" (and it ties to moneychimp). Thanks PB for making the world a better place ;) This calculation still is not as accurate as an XIRR calculation, but it's better than what I've been doing. Better meaning, if you're only spending, not saving, then the formula produces a larger return (or a smaller negative return).

Might have been mentioned, but I thought I'd throw out a warning for those who might put "8" into the number of months elapsed and start reporting an annualized rate from the output of the calculator...that's not what I have been reporting in this thread. It's a YTD thread. So, yeah, just because I'm on the 11% trajectory for December, doesn't mean I'd say "11%". In order to use the moneychimp calculator to report year to date, you'd need to put "12" in the months elapsed field. That will fool it into reporting YTD.

Oh, and on the 'bad' side, I found that my YTD spend formula was messed up...had me spending more than I really did, so even though I got a few hundredths from the improved formula, my YTD went down :(

I've been doing the even more basic formula of adding-back the YTD spending to my current balance. But that presumes that I had all my money working for me until the point of the calculation, which of course, it wasn't. It turns out it's only a handful of hundredths of a percent different (but I'll take whatever I can get!) I know that it's only this small amount because, wait for it..., I updated my spreadsheet to do the calculation "more right" (and it ties to moneychimp). Thanks PB for making the world a better place ;) This calculation still is not as accurate as an XIRR calculation, but it's better than what I've been doing. Better meaning, if you're only spending, not saving, then the formula produces a larger return (or a smaller negative return).
+1

That improved formula simply attributes 1/2 of the spending to the start of the period, and 1/2 of the spending to the end. That turns out to be a huge improvement. It comes closer to the XIRR calculation for someone who withdraws spending money steadily throughout the investment period.

For those that have exposure to numerical analysis, this is similar to the difference between rectangular integration and trapezoidal integration.

Might have been mentioned, but I thought I'd throw out a warning for those who might put "8" into the number of months elapsed and start reporting an annualized rate from the output of the calculator...that's not what I have been reporting in this thread. It's a YTD thread. So, yeah, just because I'm on the 11% trajectory for December, doesn't mean I'd say "11%"...(

+1 again.

Well, just because one is on a 11% trajectory does not mean he's guaranteed to stay on it. Quite a few rockets have exploded while on their trajectory before reaching orbit. :) And the stock market movement has been likened to a random walk more often than a rocket trajectory. Worse, we'd like to think of our portfolio reaching the escape velocity and going to Pluto.

Last edited:
1.5% drop in the market today, time to update those figures!

I was overweight on equities anyway and almost rebalanced this morning... Mr. Market just saved me a little time and effort. :)

I'll go then ..

Index trackers: +5.3%
Individual portfolio: +20.8%

Now I only have to remember to stay away in september.

Well, I didn't stay away in september, shucks. As of right now:

Index tracker: +4.6%
Individual portfolio: +18.7%

Steel and tobacco for the lose ..

1.5% drop in the market today, time to update those figures!

You spoke a bit too early there. S&P closes down almost 2.5%.

Doing even worse are EM and dividend stocks like utility, REITs, etc...

Yep, time for a correction that is long overdue.

2.5% drop today, although for the year I am still in positive territory. I am afraid that it is just the beginning of the Market bubble deflation on a comment of rate increase.

I actually have no idea. Should we calculate (or take action) based on short term (2016 YTD or whatever) returns?

....I'm up 7.53% YTD using XIRR.... 7.44% using moneychimp calculator. ...

After yesterday's panic, I'm now 6.83% YTD using XIRR... no complaints. I actually did some cash raising a couple weeks ago since things felt a little frothy. After yesterday all my AA categories are within 0.5%, so no complaints.

AA = 60/35/5

Last edited:
Using XIRR, as of 9/6 my YTD return was 9.79%. As of COB yesterday, it is now 7.84%, a drop of 1.95%. AA is 55/40/5. I also rebalanced a month ago, for the second time this year. I usually only rebalance in January.

Last edited:
Total portfolio VG / FIDO AA = 51/34/15.

Friday our total portfolio was -0.98 %. (S&P was - 2.45% / DJIA -2.13%)

For 2016:

FIDO + 4.35 % AA 57/43
VG + 5.16 % AA 55/44

Since mid 2013 when I left FT work, we have not had to tap our accounts for expenses but I anticipate having to do that in late 2017 so it's been a good start. Our total account is + 21% in the last 3 years.

Using XIRR, as of 9/6 my YTD return was 9.79%. As of COB yesterday, it is now 7.84%, a drop of 1.95%. AA is 55/40/5. I also rebalanced a month ago, for the second time this year. I usually only rebalance in January.

My numbers are very similar... peak was 9.75% YTD as of 9-7; now at 7.60% after yesterday. Drop of 2.15%. This excludes real estate investments, so AA is 61/35/4.

Statements came in and I lost 30 grand last month.

Now at 12% YTD

Back
Top Bottom