Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Man, what's his track record?

If he did it for you every year, you should be able to buy all of us lobsters FedEx'ed from Maine (if we are nice to you that is).
My FA has done well, he is worth his salt. I had 2 other accounts with other firms and he just wasted those guys so I closed those and gave him more dough to play with. He's an old grey haired guy like me and has been doing this for a while. He is a CFP and doesn't panic and does not "stir the pot" a lot.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK. Watch for my PM for the address to send some of your beloved lobsters, so I can see how good they are.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #463

I'm not much for market timing, but the Brexit fallout did trigger a rebalance into buying more international equities. So far that has worked out well, but that drama is only in about the second inning.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #464
Recycles dryer sheets

Taxable Account: 502k +6.84%
IRA: 117k +9.32%
401k: 232k YTD return info isn't available right now, & that's probably for the best. In July 2015, Vanguard removed 4 of the 5 funds I was invested in.
The only one remaining is International Growth.

I procrastinated, & just let the cash from the sale of those 4 set in the Vanguard Retirement Savings Trust III

As cash goes, I suppose it could be a lot worse. After expenses, the yield is around 1.40%
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #465
Recycles dryer sheets

I only track performance of my primary investment account in which I choose individual stocks. Up 12.5% this year! This made up for the poor performance due to energy stocks last year.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #466
Moderator Emeritus

My Vanguard accounts (the bulk of my investments) are up 9.3% YTD with a 55/45 AA.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #467
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What are you invested in? Wellington (indicative of a 60/40 AA) has returned 8.39% a year over the last 3 years.

A lot of international has offset my us returns. No fixed.

I'm looking forward to int eventually stopping underperforming, hopefully in less than 10-20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #468
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
My Vanguard accounts (the bulk of my investments) are up 9.3% YTD with a 55/45 AA.
No more biotech for you, apparently. Good move, as biotech getting creamed recently, far worse than I could imagine.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #469

This may have been mentioned before, but a great place for benchmarking your performance is Openfolio.com. You can compare your results to your peers, the markets, your age group, a whole bunch of options. It also gives you insight into your portfolio that you many not know like beta and total yield. Fun and interesting.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #470
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No more biotech for you, apparently. Good move, as biotech getting creamed recently, far worse than I could imagine.
Our large biotech exposure was due to DW's job (employer's stock) and we unwound that position when she retired last year. The timing of our exit from the sector was fortuitous.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #471
Give me a forum ...

In 1999, my brother said that at the company that he just joined, a gal quit so that she could cash out her 7-figure 401k. This gal made out well, because we all know how the "new-economy" stocks crashed in early 2000. She was just a low-level worker, but had been with the company fairly early, and was buying stocks dirt cheap.

My brother was just joining, so he was accumulating company shares at top prices. I don't know if he ever recovered, but never ask.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #472
Give me a forum ...

By the way, for people who do not know, there's a sweet tax deal for cases like the above.

The law allows one to roll out the company shares in a 401k to an after-tax account, and pay only income tax on the original share price. Then, when one sells the shares from the after-tax account, he only pays the cap gain tax rate on the difference between current value and that lower cost basis. Nice!

However, in order to do the above, you must be at least 59-1/2, or have left the company. The latter requirement was the reason for that gal to quit.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
This may have been mentioned before, but a great place for benchmarking your performance is Openfolio.com.
A couple of strikes though:
Strike 1: You MUST give them access to your online accounts (a show-stopper for me). Maybe the financial institutions should offer a read-only password! I might release that one.
Strike 2: They won't let you key-in (or paste-in) your portfolio.
Strike 3: They don't have a way to manage non-publicly traded things (like the stuff in big company 401k's). They could allow a proxy, but they just expect you to leave-out those 401k positions.

Great idea, but they've got something up their sleeve besides just wanting to let people measure their performance. You can do something similar with MorningStar Instant X-Ray, but I don't think it calculates a beta.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
A couple of strikes though:
Strike 1: You MUST give them access to your online accounts (a show-stopper for me). Maybe the financial institutions should offer a read-only password! I might release that one.
Strike 2: They won't let you key-in (or paste-in) your portfolio.
Strike 3: They don't have a way to manage non-publicly traded things (like the stuff in big company 401k's). They could allow a proxy, but they just expect you to leave-out those 401k positions.

Great idea, but they've got something up their sleeve besides just wanting to let people measure their performance. You can do something similar with MorningStar Instant X-Ray, but I don't think it calculates a beta.
Fidelity publishes their stats for comparison in your accounts so they can't be too bad of an outfit. I think there is value in what they provide. Your results may vary.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #475

4.24% YTD (through 7/1/16)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
4.24% YTD (through 7/1/16)
So, did you get more PRNEX (showing off my superior memory here)?

I only got a bit in quite a few years back as a lark and never traded it. Just now look, and it recovers well this year. 18% YTD.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #477

+9.8% year to date. Currently at 78% equities / 22% fixed assets after selling off energy assets which had rebounded nicely from August of last year when I bought them. Nice to be positive again after a poor 2015 return of -2.1%.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #478

Quote:
So, did you get more PRNEX (showing off my superior memory here)?

I only got a bit in quite a few years back as a lark and never traded it. Just now look, and it recovers well this year. 18% YTD.

Wow, you do have a good memory! And yes, I did get more. We bought it for both our 2015 Roths. Unfortunately I didn't buy it at its lowest in January, but rather in Dec 2015. Even so, I did still get it at a relative discount compared to prior highs.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #479
Give me a forum ...

I remember because I have some of that PRNEX myself. At the time you posted about it, I thought I would not buy more and that I should wait.

Well, this is another example to show how hard market timing is. We often have to hold our nose and buy when it looks so hopeless.

PS. I did hang on the some of the mining and basic material individual stocks I had, and even bought a bit more. They did well YTD, same as PRNEX. I am holding my nose to buy some biotechs now. They are now the ones taken out to the shed and beaten up black and blue.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #480

Quote:
I remember because I have some of that PRNEX myself. At the time you posted about it, I thought I would not buy more and that I should wait.

Well, this is another example to show how hard market timing is. We often have to hold our nose and buy when it looks so hopeless.

Indeed! So hard to do! I would have made out even better if I had pulled the trigger in Sept 2015 when I originally posted about it...but I procrastinated for a few months, lol.

Quote:
PS. I did hang on the some of the mining and basic material individual stocks I had, and even bought a bit more. They did well YTD, same as PRNEX. I am holding my nose to buy some biotechs now. They are now the ones taken out to the shed and beaten up black and blue.

That's great! I've already bought our 2016 Roths and HSA (International Discovery - PRIDX - unfortunately in early Feb right when it spiked back up before falling back down...I am nothing if not predictable, lol). We are putting all excess cash into paying off our Florida 2nd home right now. So no more cash to invest for a while here. Good luck with the biotechs!