2016 YTD investment performance thread

I invested the minimum amount necessary in the Schwab Intelligent Portfolio to see how it does.

As of 9/9 it is up 8.11% for the year.

ROR YTD is currently at 11.51% in my 401k. Brokerage is at 8.02% but the 401k has a much larger total balance.

I'm not sure I follow. The fund is up 8.6%, it's all you own in your account, and you're up 14.5%?
The magic of market timing, I call it.
In the 401K account, they call it bi-monthly contributions.
:dance:

Edit to add my other 401K, which receives no additional contributions:

YTD Rate of Return 7.50%
Small/Mid Cap Index Eq Fund 52%
Developed Markets Index 20%
MSCI EM Indexed Equity 13%
Stable Value Fund 15%

Last edited:
The magic of market timing, I call it.
In the 401K account, they call it bi-monthly contributions.
:dance:

Good job! My market timing (short term trade) has returned "only" 10% YTD, still outperforming the market.

My total return YTD is 9.02% thanks to FNMIX (17.25%) & my short term trades. A simple majority of my funds have outperformed the S&P 500, too.

Through 9/30/2016 using the moneychimp calculator, my dividend portfolio is up 9.8%.
Using XIRR my dividend portfolio is up 81.9724% (unrounded).

A big drop in our pharmaceutical holdings wiped out all gains in other holdings this year.

I'll have to wait until the statement arrives and then I'll use the paper and calculator method.

82% return is unbelievably great! I wish I have an year like that.

Yeah, I wish I had a year like that as well. I think I may have made a math error. I probably shouldn't be working with numbers in my head--especially after eating a whole bunch of chocolate.

Here are some YTD returns at the end of the third quarter of some funds with asset allocation close to 60/40 captured from morningstar.com
ete54n.jpg

As one can see they are in the 7.15% to 7.66% range.

Key:
VSMGX Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth
VTWNX Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 (it is 57/43)
VBIAX Vanguard Balanced Index (has no foreign nor international stocks)
DGSIX DFA Global Allocation I 60/40
VWENX Vanguard Wellington (it is 65/35)
VTTVX Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 (it is 66/34)

As for reporting YTD returns, I am amused that some folks report a return for a selected account. I can do that: My son's (in college now) 529 plan is up 4.2%. My HSA is up 2.46%. My wife's Roth IRA is up 19.19%.

None of these tell one anything except perhaps that the 529 plan and HSA are invested more conservatively than that Roth IRA. Or maybe I should run XIRR() incorrectly and say the Roth IRA is up 26.36%?

No changes in composition or results from last month. I'm happy with an 8.6 ytd return

Here is a look at 403b retirement account. This receives no new contributions. YTD performance is 4.5%.

62% S&P500
38% Guaranteed Interest (3%)

What we do in each investing space is allow for re-balancing from equity to fixed, or in opposite direction.

What is measured, is managed.

As for reporting YTD returns, I am amused that some folks report a return for a selected account. I can do that: My son's (in college now) 529 plan is up 4.2%. My HSA is up 2.46%. My wife's Roth IRA is up 19.19%.

None of these tell one anything except perhaps that the 529 plan and HSA are invested more conservatively than that Roth IRA. Or maybe I should run XIRR() incorrectly and say the Roth IRA is up 26.36%?

I think it's interesting to see the different allocations diverge so much, and see what different substrategies do. To each his own I guess.

For me personally I only report my equity exposure excluding additions or withdrawals (none) since it's about investment performance, and that's the only one fluctuating. Also to see whether my index tracker outperforms my individual portfolio. Tracking them separately tells me more than combined.

I do keep track of my overall net worth like everyone here, but that's a separate thread no? ("Fire Milestones").

No idea what I'm up. To avoid thinking too much about performance, I track percentages of my portfolio. When international gets ahead I see it as a higher percentage of my overall portfolio. And that's what I need to act on: my next withdrawal or rebalance needs to consider what's gained the most or lost the most relative to other parts of my portfolio.

What is measured, is managed.
Definitely, yes.

I measure my portfolio. The portfolio asset allocation is mostly maintained close to a 60/40 asset allocation, so I want to outperform the funds that I put in my post earlier today. I know that I cannot outperform them unless I do something drastic and temporarily change my asset allocation away from 60/40.

One can see from those funds that changing asset allocation from say 57/43 to 66/34 will not change performance by all that much. Sometimes having almost no international has been helpful as well (VBIAX, VWENX have 0% and 10% foreign).

One can do the math: In order to outperform one of those benchmarks by 1%, one will need to have 10% of the portfolio go up an extra 10% on its own because 10% of 10% is 1%. Or one might be able to have 1% of the portfolio go up by 100% on its own.

For me, I will bump up AA from 60/40 to 75/25 sometimes for a short while in a market timing attempt. If that extra 15% to equities goes up by 7%, then I will have gotten my 1% outperformance.

But I will not bump down my asset allocation to 45/55 in an attempt to avoid losses.

And a final thought to this post: I think many people who have advisors don't really know the true performance of their portfolios. And many do-it-yourselfers don't know either. If they did know and made comparisons to benchmarks, I think they might want to change some things.

There are some who's reports here are consistent and logical. Not everyone uses the same methodology or even give it a sanity check, but this is entertainment, nothing more. I kind of laughed at that other thread...kept saying "it's for fun". That should go without saying on this forum!

Back
Top Bottom