2016 YTD investment performance thread

Im +1/2% YTD but what I really love is that my bonds are up 3.2% YTD. They were also up last year even though we've had multiple threads the last few years and "experts" have been saying for years that they will get crushed.

Up ~ 3.5% YTD. Still heavy in oil/gas so seeing a rebound with oil price increases.

2016 may have turned positive ...but in real terms after inflation, the market is STILL DOWN about 6% from last highs. We've been in reverse since late 2014/ early 2015.

How are you getting 6%? Based on VTSAX, the high was in July 2015 and the market, with dividends reinvested has declined 3.3% since July 2015. Inflation in 2015 was virtually nonexistent (0.7% for the year) and modest thus far in 2016 so the real decline might be 4% at most with the vast majority due to the market decline since July 2015.

However, it is a bit disingenuous to measure anything from an all-time high... it will almost be lower by definition. If you go for the last 12 months then the market decline is 1.7% nominal and perhaps 2.5% real. If you look at 2015 then the return is positive 0.4% and 0.3% loss on a real basis.

So IMO 6% is silly.

Some YTD comparison (benchmark) returns as of March 17, 2016:

60/40 funds:

1.00% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth
1.07% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020
0.94% VBIAX Vg Balanced fund
1.32% DGSIX DFA 60/40

1.24% VWENX Vg Wellington (65/35)
0.83% VTTVX Vg TR 2025 (66/34)

Last edited:
IRA rollover in mutual funds with FIDO down 5%, DW's account, DW's IRA and my ROTH all in individual stocks, up 10%! Overall about even.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think we are up YTD. Definitely am up in trading account 16% and in my IRA I just sold some junk bonds at 28% of par that I bought for 14.5% of par. They were only paying 55% interest while the others I still have pay 70%.

Up a lot more on my trading account. But my account is up less than 1%, I've been too chicken to go full in. My husband's account is a little more than 2%.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I ran my numbers this morning, and I'm up about 0.22% YTD. Not complaining, as there were a few low points in there where I was down about 8-10%, I think!

As of yesterday 3/17, I was up 1.1%. That's barely enough to cover my expenses YTD plus inflation for the stash.

If the rest of my life is like this, I will have no complaint. I have given up on getting a waterfront home on Bainbridge Island on Rockaway Rd opposite the bay from Seattle anyway. :)

Up 1.45% on a 50/50 AA. Interesting that bonds have been saving the bacon, particularly after all the articles pounding on the message that investing in bonds was about the dumbest thing one could do for several years now.

YTD (12/31/15-3/18/16), the return of Vanguard S&P Index MF is 0.8%, that of Vanguard Total Bond VBTLX is 2.42%, while that of Wellesley is 3.2%. Looks like either Wellesley manager been busy trading er rebalancing, or his stodgy stock picks are doing well.

Anyway, if we look back 12 months, then Vanguard S&P loses -0.4%, VBTLX gains 1.3%, and Wellesley wins again at 3.2%.

Back 3 years, then S&P wins at a whopping 40%, Wellesley at 19.6%, and bond VBTLX trails at 6.9%.

So, that's what happens when the bull market tops out. Hard to see stocks keep moving up like they had been doing in the 2009-2014 period. Bonds will not do that well either, unless the Fed goes negative on the rate like the EU bank.

Time to tighten my belt, and try to live on less.

YTD (12/31/15-3/18/16), the return of Vanguard S&P Index MF is 0.8%, that of Vanguard Total Bond VBTLX is 2.42%, while that of Wellesley is 3.2%. Looks like either Wellesley manager been busy trading er rebalancing, or his stodgy stock picks are doing well.

Anyway, if we look back 12 months, then Vanguard S&P loses -0.4%, VBTLX gains 1.3%, and Wellesley wins again at 3.2%.

Back 3 years, then S&P wins at a whopping 40%, Wellesley at 19.6%, and bond VBTLX trails at 6.9%.

So, that's what happens when the bull market tops out. Hard to see stocks keep moving up like they had been doing in the 2009-2014 period. Bonds will not do that well either, unless the Fed goes negative on the rate like the EU bank.

Time to tighten my belt, and try to live on less.

You sound like my dad. My experience indicates the only people who mention needing to tighten the belt are in reality the ones least in actual need of having to do so. Something tells me I wont need to worry about you, NW until you can prove that beautiful mountain home has a for sale sign in the yard. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I do not worry about myself either. As I often say, I can be selling both of my homes and living in my 25' motorhome on NM state parks and paying $225/year camping fee (+ additional $8/day if I need electricity to run my AC or heater), and it does not change my happiness level any.

My wife does not know about any of this backup plan, but ignorance is bliss for her. :)

Last edited:
Ok, not ER'd yet so still contributing to the 401k, but without contributions, up 8.4%. I know that people frown on timing the market, but I believe in broad market timing I a relatively large potion of my 401k. Late 2015, my opinion was the overall market was close to all time high, and gold and miners at close to all time low. Had large position in BGEIX (gold and miners), relatively large position in GRZZX and BEARX (bearish mutual funds)

Have traded in and out of these positions about 3 times this year already. Out of BGEIX way to early, but made 17.8%. Reduced both Bearish funds to 30% of normal end of year position, when the market was down 8%. Last two weeks as market has rebounded, increase bearish funds 10% to 15% on each 2% rally. Now back up to 80% in these two bearish funds. When and if we go to a new high, will add the last 20%, but doubt we will see it. Still 30% cash.

I still believe that the bull run is done for a while and downside has a better risk to reward than upside.

Maybe have just been lucky, but if you think you need some downside protection or minimize losses on your upside, these two funds may be of interest.

Have traded in and out of these positions about 3 times this year already.
We need you to participate in the LOL!' sMarket Timing Newsletter! Please post orders as you submit them. :)

Still w*rking, but 401K was up 5.4% as of yesterday YTD. 100% stocks, with about 5% US mid cap, 55% S&P 500 index, and the rest utilities (one of the big gaining sectors this year).

My cash balance pension is my 'bond fund', so total portfolio is 70% stocks and 30% bonds.

Up 3.01% YTD ......

I hope it lasts.....!!!! It was hard to watch when it was dropping like a stone..Makes me glad I have my pension which so far covers all my expenses after three years of retirement...I was feeling for those I know who rely on withdrawals to live....

In other news...I am DOWN 11.5 pounds since last March when I had my physical.....!!! ( this milder winter made it easier to walk outside many days...I walked more, in part, to burn off anxiety of watching my balance drop every day!). I won't say what per-cent that is, but it's at least going in the right direction....

So I'm happy today.....my weight is DOWN and the market is UP!!!

Some YTD comparison (benchmark) returns as of March 17, 2016:

60/40 funds:

1.00% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth
1.07% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020
0.94% VBIAX Vg Balanced fund
1.32% DGSIX DFA 60/40

1.24% VWENX Vg Wellington (65/35)
0.83% VTTVX Vg TR 2025 (66/34)

But if you balance with VWIAX it has a YTD of 3.17%....Investing mostly in VWELX and VWIAX my YTD is 2.69% boosted only a little by my 9% coupon bond......:angel:

According to Personal Capital my YTD is:

You Index™ 79-DAY
1.21%

vs.

S&P 500 79-DAY
0.28%

I just broke even for the year. My YTD is .55%. Feeling a lot better than I did in January.

Im +1/2% YTD but what I really love is that my bonds are up 3.2% YTD. They were also up last year even though we've had multiple threads the last few years and "experts" have been saying for years that they will get crushed.

+1 exactly right. The great up and coming interest rate hike that wasn't. We're up about 6% from a low just a few months ago, and the bonds have played a big role in this. Particularly the long term bonds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom