2016 YTD investment performance thread

The return was calculated with monthly rebalancing and with divs/int re-invested. You can easily account for the difference in YTD performance by (1) noting the difference in composition between the funds you mentioned and the bucket of five indexes and (2) noting whether the actively managed funds did any trading (beyond rebalancing) during the period.
I wonder then if Schwab is sandbagging by choice of that particular portfolio with the high cash allocation and reporting a -0.34% to make other Schwab portfolios look better than that index-fund moderate portfolio.

The portfolio you listed was composed of non-actively-managed funds (that is, index funds) and yet the -0.34% is about 0.8% to 1% under the Vanguard index funds of funds with not-dissimilar compositions. The Vanguard fund performances include re-invested dividends and expense ratios. They are the YTD numbers that an investor in those funds would have received.

Now rebalancing at month-ends would not have helped as much as rebalancing on better days such as February 11.

Last edited:
I wonder then if Schwab is sandbagging by choice of that particular portfolio with the high cash allocation and reporting a -0.34% to make other Schwab portfolios look better than that index-fund moderate portfolio.
No, absolutely not. They have several benchmarks based on indexes and they calculate their hypothetical performance daily. On their site, you're free to compare your portfolio or any of your holdings to these benchmarks or other funds (any brand) as you wish. They make zero reference to any Schwab funds.
The portfolio you listed was composed of non-actively-managed funds (that is, index funds)
Absolutely not. It is a benchmark comprised of indexes, NOT index funds. Having index based benchmarks is fairly common.
and yet the -0.34% is about 0.8% to 1% under the Vanguard index funds of funds with not-dissimilar compositions.
No. Actually the funds you mentioned are significantly different in composition from the benchmark we're discussing.

A benchmark is a benchmark. This one is fairly common. Before using any benchmark, understand what's in it, how it's calculated and how it's different from the actively managed fund or portfolio you're comparing with it.

Last edited:
As of today 3/29, I am up +1.6%. It's OK, but I trail Wellington which is at 1.74% YTD.

A "Moderate" portfolio is down -0.34% YTD as of the close 3/24/16 (with divs reinvested).

Moderate =

35% US Agg Bond
35% S&P 500
15% MSCI EAFE Developed Markets
10% Russell 2000
5% 3 month T Bill

To all you folks beating this, apparently with significantly different allocations or doing some successful active management, congratulations!

Here's what Quicken says about my AA.

My stock portions add up to 62%, but this can be misleading because I hold many stocks and ETFs with high beta. So, my portfolio moves more like one with an AA of 80% stock or higher.

I also have a lot of cash which does not help like bonds do for Wellington. For the equities, I have about 1/2 in MFs, and 1/2 in individual stocks. My stocks are doing better than the MFs YTD. Last year, the MFs did better.

The figure I gave came from Schwab and uses their definition of a "moderate" benchmark which they build using five common indexes. 0% expense ratio. Divs/Int reinvested. Rebalanced monthly. Actively managed "moderate" (about 60/40) MF's and ETF's can vary (higher or lower) in performance significantly from a moderate grouping of common indexes.

I have some accounts at Schwab, but do not spend much time on their Web site. Just now, spent some time perusing their Web pages and using their search, but failed to find the info you posted above. A couple of links will be useful, thanks.

Last edited:
+1.3% YTD vs +0.7% for Vanguard 2020 Target Retirement fund (which is also 60/40)
One has to be careful with the dates when looking at YTD returns since various web sites do not update those numbers in a timely fashion. For instance, the YTD return last night of Vanguard 2020 Target Retirement is actually 1.55% while the 0.7% (actually 0.71%) was for the day before.

Here is a screen capture of YTD returns through yesterday March 29:

10mlloy.jpg

Furthermore, if one uses Morningstar to compare funds like I did in the figure, sometimes only some of the funds will have updated numbers, so one may get a mix of returns off by one day even though the "Total Return % (MM/DD/20YY)" will show a single date.

Last edited:
One has to be careful with the dates when looking at YTD returns since various web sites do not update those numbers in a timely fashion. For instance, the YTD return last night of Vanguard 2020 Target Retirement is actually 1.55% while the 0.7% (actually 0.71%) was for the day before......

Furthermore, if one uses Morningstar to compare funds like I did in the figure, sometimes only some of the funds will have updated numbers, so one may get a mix of returns off by one day even though the "Total Return % (MM/DD/20YY)" will show a single date.

You are right! It shows 1.55% this morning. Something to keep in mind.

I'm not sure I'm doing it right but pb4uski's calculator says - 8.9% Quicken says 9.29%. But I get easily confused when using these calculators so who knows?

I'm finally out of the red at +0.6% wish it were better but hey, at least we're in the green...for now. Thanks yellen.

Up 1.71% on all my investments. 1/2 of the gain is from short term trades. It continues to outperform the market. The big loser is DODFX, an international stock fund. It is down 4.4%. My 1st full year in retirement and the investment gain YTD is > money spent. Up $15k in total asset after 3 months.

Up 1.2% YTD before deposits. 68% equities.

I am still at -2% somehow. Mostly due to the POT and JAZZ.

For my husband's account, it's up 11.86% for 3 months. It doesn't seem real.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Up 1.86% after withdrawals.

Comparison between accounts:
401k +2.05%
After tax port +1.93%
Annuity -1.43
IRA managed by FA +0.99%

Well at least the FA is performing better than an annuity

Wow - up 1.1% YTD!

(not annualized - I never do annualized for sub-year performance)

Last edited:
Equity/Fixed/Cash 70/25/5 portfolio is up 6.61% YTD. That includes April Fools Day, of course.

32% weight to Utilities and Telecom.

Back
Top Bottom