2016 YTD investment performance thread

Up 4.86% ytd after withdrawals.

Comparison between accounts:
401k +5.53%
After tax port +4.25%
Annuity -1.05
IRA managed by FA +2.91%
AT&T stock +25.19% (had to double-check that one)

Last edited:
I am up 9.2% ytd with 40% bonds, 53% stocks. I have my own RMD set aside in MM as that account is 100% O which is smoking, that can't last. Husband's Wellesley is chugging right along.

I have realigned Roths from industrial dividend payers index to utility and real estate index funds.

Up 9.5% in the managed account (that's me as manager) and flat in the Mutual fund account at Fidelity. I am slowly converting the Fidelity mutual funds into stocks. Even though the funds are low cost, they seem to be running uphill in good times and downhill in bad times!:facepalm:

Wow, a lot of good YTD gains. Most of us are beating the market. I am impressed. Let's keep it up.

Of course - what else would you expect from the online version of Lake Woebegone?
I'm up 8%, but that's only if I include the best performing accounts. Seriously, taking every account, adding back spent, I'm up 3.7%. It would be cool to see if some of these bigger gains reported here were on low beta or not.

I'm up 8%, but that's only if I include the best performing accounts. Seriously, taking every account, adding back spent, I'm up 3.7%. It would be cool to see if some of these bigger gains reported here were on low beta or not.

That sounds more like me, that is the 3.7%. Some of the numbers mentioned in this thread seem astronomical in todays market, possibly we have some budding hedge fund managers or very good market timers.

4.3% YTD. That's including every penny in about 25 accounts, including all IRAs, 401k's, Roth's, I-bonds, checking account. Heck, I even included negative amounts outstanding in credit cards that will have to be paid in full at the end of the month. Quicken reported my total bottom line which I use (not including real estate, the junkie vehicles, guns and ammo, the few gold coins, the "treasure" I keep in the garages, etc...).

Some people here get 9% to 10%. Nice! What do I do if I have the same? Two business class seats to Europe, plus I will make a call to my favorite contractor and tell him to come and finish the deck that I am repairing.

Again, international equities held me back. Perhaps Bogle was right that we needed no stinkin' foreign stocks.

What I would hate even more is if I sell then they rally out of sight.

Last edited:
That sounds more like me, that is the 3.7%. Some of the numbers mentioned in this thread seem astronomical in todays market, possibly we have some budding hedge fund managers or very good market timers.

If you have large cap value, RE, emerging market bonds and muni's you could easily be up 7 -10%. As soon as you add large cap growth and international into the mix, your return drops.

If you have large cap value, RE, emerging market bonds and muni's you could easily be up 7 -10%. As soon as you add large cap growth and international into the mix, your return drops.

Probably not the typical mix on this board.

It was the international fund that was the problem in my IRA at Fidelity. The other funds were up a bit. The dividend stocks were the stellar performers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Of course - what else would you expect from the online version of Lake Woebegone?
One of these statements is true of our YTD returns :):
1) Up 7 figures in total account values
2) Up 10.9% mostly due to that SBUX stock position
3) Portfolio up 4.4%
4) Portfolio up 11.3%, due to sector etf exposures (utilities VPU, energy VDE)

It appears my 401K is lagging most of you. Need to do some digging on the "why".
YTD Performance:
401K: +3.1% (AA 70/30 ish)
Individual Stks: +6.7% (small $$---blue chippers mostly)
Home value: +11.7% (realizing this is pretty unique to Seattle WA). Locals call it the "Amazon.com" effect meaning younger S/W engineers being hired by AMZN downtown SEA.

I could have done better if I had put more in my winners, such as Cummins (30.5% YTD), ATT (29.1% YTD), Verizon (24% YTD), Utility ETF XLU (22.3%), or Walmart (21.2%), J&J (19.6%), etc...

Instead, I had to stay diversified and held some stinkers like the aforementioned foreign stocks. I am still waiting for them to redeem themselves.

Last edited:
It appears my 401K is lagging most of you. Need to do some digging on the "why".
YTD Performance:
401K: +3.1% (AA 70/30 ish)
Individual Stks: +6.7% (small $$---blue chippers mostly)
Home value: +11.7% (realizing this is pretty unique to Seattle WA). Locals call it the "Amazon.com" effect meaning younger S/W engineers being hired by AMZN downtown SEA.

Denver too. We've seen a 40% rise in the value of our home in less than 4 years.

Denver too. We've seen a 40% rise in the value of our home in less than 4 years.

Wow--that's a big increase in value. My property taxes are up to $4300 now on what I classify as a lower end "entry" home. 1240 sq feet Craftsman. I need to factor that into my ER planning as they will probably rise again next year.

7.45%, so down just over 1% this month. MSCI EAFE fund took a Brexit hit. Some other high performers from earlier in the year cooled off a bit too.

As of 6/30/16 up 2.57%.

Not as good as a month ago, when I single-handedly jinxed the markets. Back to levels seen earlier this year.

Last edited:
Up 6.77% as of June 30, 2016.

Have not taken anything out this year.....and I have some Utilities that have done very well......

I think I will increase Utility holdings...They LOVE lo/no interest rates ( to borrow for infrastructure improvements), pay dividends, and are a "safe haven".

Widespread blackouts during winter storms or summer heat waves, and gas pipeline or worse, distribution main explosions make State commissions VERY reluctant to deny rate increases....and with most infrastructure getting older by the day, that's a GOOD thing for Utilities when int. rates are so low......

That's today's opinion!!! Check back on Sept 30!!!!!

Up ~5.8% with an AA of 40/50/10. The majority of the 40/50 is invested in two Vanguard balanced funds: Wellesley (up 7.9% YTD) and Wellington (up 5.2% YTD).

Looks like the tortoise is doing OK in this race...

Back
Top Bottom