2016 YTD investment performance thread

According to Pb4uski's calculator that we are all now using, I'm up 6.87%
in my dividend portfolio where nothing goes in (except dividends received) and nothing goes out.

8.69% YTD, XIRR. Eked out another small gain in May.

AA = 50/45/5 S/FI/C.

As of 6/2/16, up 3.11%YTD. Nice recovery!

I like it when I'm getting close to recovering my annual withdrawal.

But I still have a ways to go to get recover from last year's slight loss, and last year's withdrawal.

8.69% YTD, XIRR. Eked out another small gain in May.

AA = 50/45/5 S/FI/C.
I was reading on bogleheads.org about the difficulty folks are having with getting XIRR to give legit YTD numbers. This 8.69% looks like an APR and not a YTD:

Thank you for the clarification Renue74. XIRR does work but produces an APR so to produce YTD you have to use the following formula to convert back.

(1+YTD)^(n/365)-1 where YTD is the XIRR result and n = number of days.

Here is a link to another spreadsheet I found which may be helpful:
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/Excel/XIRR.xls

~Moshe

Another way to do the same thing is to make sure to have a date 12/31/2016 for the current value of the portfolio, so that the date range is a full year.

YTD 3.31% which makes me feel pretty good, all things considered.

We are up 5.25% ytd using a 50/50 Wellesley Wellington split, a little target date fund, and some derivative bond allocation. Essentially a 53/47 split. Fairly low volatility. We are considering changing our sequence of return risk by introducing a Paul Merriman allocation strategy for 50% of our investments going forward for the next 5 years targeting a historical standard deviation of 7% due to correlation across the various funds with a little higher debt exposure. I am curious if anyone else is using any of Paul's strategy in whole or in part. Our current allocation has done well but due to lack of diversification, we may have too much exposure to US LCV and not enough foreign. The unemployment number was spot on with my own belief in the US economy status which is why we held on with the bond exposure. Folks smarter than I, or more connected, with significantly more wealth are invested in muni bonds.

Sold all of my junk bonds today. They were paying 12.5% interest and I bought most of them at 20% to 30% of par. Today I got 58% of par for them.

That one account (IRA) is up 184% YTD and is pulling up our total portfolio return by some 5% YTD.

5.56% as of Friday.

Considering that the first two months of the year were horrific, a nice rebound, IMO.

I was reading on bogleheads.org about the difficulty folks are having with getting XIRR to give legit YTD numbers. This 8.69% looks like an APR and not a YTD:

Despite what you think it looks like, this is not an APR number. I actually used the BogleheadsReturns.xls worksheet, which is close enough to IRR to not quibble about the differences. The spreadsheet is simple enough to use. Then again, I am a CPA, so I know a thing or two about spreadsheets.

I'm also not invested to any great extent in the US. If I was, my returns would be negative due to the strong increase in the CAD vs. USD this year. (I sold my US holdings on Jan 8 for a tidy gain. Maybe I should have put that in your market timing thread.:greetings10:)

Counting from 12/31/2015 to today, 6/6/2016, I am up 5.01%.

That's not bad for an AA of 48% US stocks, 16% foreign stocks, 6% bonds, and 30% cash.

It also compares well with S&P of 4.19%, and BND (total bond fund) of 3.97%, all dividends included.

Wellesley is up 6.11%, and Wellington 4.83%. Both beat a straight blend of S&P and BND.

Despite what you think it looks like, this is not an APR number. I actually used the BogleheadsReturns.xls worksheet, which is close enough to IRR to not quibble about the differences. The spreadsheet is simple enough to use. Then again, I am a CPA, so I know a thing or two about spreadsheets.

I'm also not invested to any great extent in the US. If I was, my returns would be negative due to the strong increase in the CAD vs. USD this year. (I sold my US holdings on Jan 8 for a tidy gain. Maybe I should have put that in your market timing thread.:greetings10:)
You make good points. If I examine my 401k, which holds only RNWEX (EM worldwide companies), the Personalized Rate of Return since 01/01/2016 is 9.67%. Investments do rebound, but this number surprises me quite a bit.

You make good points. If I examine my 401k, which holds only RNWEX (EM worldwide companies), the Personalized Rate of Return since 01/01/2016 is 9.67%. Investments do rebound, but this number surprises me quite a bit.
Great market timing on that one! M* says that a person who held only RNWEX so far in 2016 is up 2.99% through 6/6/2016 (it did lose 10% in the first 3 weeks of the year).

@Viking, thanks for the comment, clarification and the mention of currency effects.

YTD 9.2% with AA of 14/15/51/20 bonds/cash/us stocks/foreign stocks

I never look at the return. I have it all in Wellesley Admiral. I don't even know where to find the return number on the chart. What would I do about it anyway? Switch to CD's at some measly 1.9%? The only time I take anything out is for the RMD. What ever is here is for the kids when I kick the bucket. Someone tell me where to find the return number, please.

Great market timing on that one! M* says that a person who held only RNWEX so far in 2016 is up 2.99% through 6/6/2016 (it did lose 10% in the first 3 weeks of the year).

@Viking, thanks for the comment, clarification and the mention of currency effects.

Timing is every two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom