2018 Year End Estimated Capital Gains Distributions

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A few mutual funds have already published their year end 2018 estimated capital gains distributions. But I haven’t seen anything from Fidelity or Vanguard yet.

Last year it looks like I had the estimates by Oct 29, as that’s a date of a saved spreadsheet. I just don’t remember when they are usually published in October.

Vanguard didn't publish their first estimate until Nov 10 last year, for those looking. I don't even find any information about 2018 from a quick search. Their "tax center" page still has 2017 as the last year with any info.

Vanguard didn't publish their first estimate until Nov 10 last year, for those looking. I don't even find any information about 2018 from a quick search. Their "tax center" page still has 2017 as the last year with any info.
Right - it looks like I didn't have the Vanguard info until mid November.

Fido tends to run mid/late November.

TRPrice came out last weekend. As dividends and interest are what we live on for the upcoming year, we were quite happy...best year ever for us. Harkens back to my old year-end-bonus announcement at work, which was often half my income.

I know others dread the news.

Fido tends to run mid/late November.

TRPrice came out last weekend. As dividends and interest are what we live on for the upcoming year, we were quite happy...best year ever for us. Harkens back to my old year-end-bonus announcement at work, which was often half my income.

I know others dread the news.

I've always gotten my Fido year end estimated distributions by the end of October. Last year it looks like I saved a copy of them on 10/29, along with several other fund companies.

Fido did update the estimates later.

I am also waiting for Fido's year-end estimates. I recall they came out just before November 1st last year. It was at that time I discovered I would be going over the ACA cliff, thanks to an expectedly huge CG distribution. Will I go over it again this year? :confused:

I had some much larger than expected June and Sept cap gains distributions, so I’m concerned that year end might be larger than expected as well.

OK - thanks. I checked earlier today, and they hadn't been.

Oh well - I see they didn't post the update to the mutual funds distributions page. I'm sure they'll update it eventually.

For Vanguard funds:

> Go to the individual fund performance page.

> Click the "Distributions" tab.

> At the bottom of the page is a section titled "Realized/Unrealized Gains"

This section is updated throughout the year and provides a pretty solid indication of realized capital gains or losses for each fund.

As an example I've attached the current information for VWENX.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 55
^^ Just note that's capital gains only, and not dividend distributions. It still can be useful for planning as cap gains are usually the wild card. I don't think I'd take any action on this early info though. Still 2 months left for a fund manager to do some harvesting, or take gains off the table.

^^ Just note that's capital gains only, and not dividend distributions. It still can be useful for planning as cap gains are usually the wild card. I don't think I'd take any action on this early info though. Still 2 months left for a fund manager to do some harvesting, or take gains off the table.

Funds usually close out their year before Dec 31. Often by October 31 and before distributions are paid out which are usually paid after the fiscal year end. So they don’t necessarily have 2 more months.

Last edited:
Anyone know how to find out the VFIAX dividend that will be paid about 12/26 or so?

I've looked at all the links in this thread and come up empty. I'm assuming about $1.20 per share just based on past history.

Thanks for posting.

Don't forget that VG International is after taxes. Your 1099 will include foreign taxes paid, which adds about 7% to the total, so you have to add at least 7% to those dividends to avoid going over any cliffs. Not sure if that's true of all international funds everywhere, but it is for sure at Vanguard.

That's what the schedule says: if you don't see it, it doesn't distro (other than the usual monthly, I presume).

Thanks MichaelB. I don't see VBTLX listed. Could that mean no CGs or Divs?

Back
Top Bottom