2019 Year-End Distributions

Vanguard mutual fund Cap gains estimates are out today.

Unfortunately, the cap-gains distributions from my last two active funds (both from Vanguard) are in the same high ballpark as last year.

Dividend estimates don't come out till 12/10 or something like that.

VG Wellington gains estimate shows it dropping from $4.17 last year to $1.61 this year?

Just my luck it was really high for the years I was trying to get an ACA subsidy - throwing me off the cliff.

Can someone direct me to threads discussing how to manage taxable accounts? I haven't mastered searching the various forums.

May be time to move away from VWENX.
(My current income all comes from rental properties, a CRT and the VWENX dividends/gains)

Last edited:
^^^^ Most of Vanguard's index funds do not have capital gain distributions... we have VTSAX, VFIAX and VTIAX... Total Stock, 500 and Total International Stock... and no capital gains distributions in 2019 or 2018.

Last edited:
^^^^ Most of Vanguard's index funds do not have capital gain distributions... we have VTSAX, VFIAX and VTIAX... Tota Stock, 500 and Total International Stock... and no capital gains distributions in 2019 or 2018.

I looked up VTSAX. You might want to consider the amount of unrealized gains in the fund. They seem to realize losses... but not gains. I would think that gains will have to be realized.... likely when more are pulling money out.

just something to be aware of going forward.

Transferred my brokerage accounts to Schwab this year, haven't seen the 2019 estimated distributions list for their funds yet. Got an email from them yesterday stating they have added a new 'Investment Income Summary' feature to your online 'Accounts Summary' page. It shows ytd and estimated yearly earnings for each of your accounts and totals for all accounts combined. Nice feature, will find out soon enough how accurate it is.

I like that none of my FIDO index funds in my taxable account have any year end distributions. Very tax efficient.
Many Fidelity funds pay dividends only once a year, or twice a year with a smaller one in the spring and the bulk of it in December. We will still get the yet unknown dividend distribution even though the web page shows no capital gains distribution.

Many Fidelity funds pay dividends only once a year, or twice a year with a smaller one in the spring and the bulk of it in December. We will still get the yet unknown dividend distribution even though the web page shows no capital gains distribution.

I'm still waiting and wondering on one of my Fido funds, a corporate bond fund. This bond fund has done some odd things at the end of the year in the 11 years I have been in it. The first few years, the December monthly dividend included a "spike" by which the dividend doubled. But it came by surprise, as there was no real warning it was going to happen. And once in a while, it had a cap gain distribution.

Then, for a few years, I had neither the spike nor any cap gain distributions. Then, last year, the spike returned but as a separate December distribution a ew days before the end of the year, and it appeared in Fido's year-end distribution webpage. So far, there has been nothing of any type of year-end distribution. This year, unlike prior years, it matters a lot because I am struggling to qualify for an ACA subsidy, so I don't want to get blindsided by a surprise spike on 12/31 with no time to do anything about it. In those older years, I was able to find out the daily mil rate and learn of the spike when it happened.

I was looking at the history on my FIDO accounts. Their profit distributions were around 12/8 of every year.

I was looking at the history on my FIDO accounts. Their profit distributions were around 12/8 of every year.

They pay distributions on Fridays, starting with the last Friday in November. Most funds pay out one of the first two Fridays in December. And there are a few paying on later Fridays.

Gabelli Funds - https://gabelli.com/funds/open_divest2019

GABSX is paying out an 18% distribution! :facepalm:

I have GABSX and it screwed my estimated income for 2019. Got shocked when I saw how much year end distributions they gave out. Looks like it will jeopardized my Obamacare subsidy. Hoping it will not, depending on my other funds year end distributions for 2019. Going to be really close to avoid the cliff.

I have GABSX and it screwed my estimated income for 2019. Got shocked when I saw how much year end distributions they gave out. Looks like it will jeopardized my Obamacare subsidy. Hoping it will not, depending on my other funds year end distributions for 2019. Going to be really close to avoid the cliff.

Have a plan B in place if you go over the subsidy cliff- either realize cap gains to the 0% threshold (the tax saved will ease the pain of losing the subsidy) and/or do a ROTH conversion.

A couple of years ago, I bit the bullet and sold all the shares in an active fund that behaved much like yours. The relevant index fund matched its performance & distributed a lot - a lot - less.

Yeah - that was a shocker. Way more than they have paid out in previous years.

I track my mutual funds in terms of % distributions paid out every year and I put a bullseye on the bad actors and do what I can to get rid of them, keeping an eye on the taxes. I was able to get rid of several last year with minimal tax consequences due to the market selloff. Proceeds go to index funds.

My unrealized gain in GABSX is still very high. But it's in trouble with me!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

FWIW, T. Rowe Price has updated their YE distribution numbers last night, per usual.

About a 5% increase on dividends and CGs for me vs what they reported earlier this month.

We have a lot of house-related expenses, so we'll take it.

FWIW, T. Rowe Price has updated their YE distribution numbers last night, per usual.

About a 5% increase on dividends and CGs for me vs what they reported earlier this month.

I plan to check next week. Last year quite a few fund families raised their estimates.

VG Wellington gains estimate shows it dropping from $4.17 last year to $1.61 this year?

Just my luck it was really high for the years I was trying to get an ACA subsidy - throwing me off the cliff.

Can someone direct me to threads discussing how to manage taxable accounts? I haven't mastered searching the various forums.

May be time to move away from VWENX.
(My current income all comes from rental properties, a CRT and the VWENX dividends/gains)

To fight against VG Wellington high CC and gains I sold it and replaced with index VTI + bonds, same performance low distributions

Back
Top Bottom