2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

I hesitate to name my big gainer, trying to keep it a secret.

OK, it's VTSAX, Vanguard Total Stock Index. 30.8%. The secret is out.

Not too exciting, huh?

I hesitate to name my big gainer, trying to keep it a secret.

OK, it's VTSAX, Vanguard Total Stock Index. 30.8%. The secret is out.

Not too exciting, huh?

I don’t think it’s a competition, just reporting. Excitement/happiness apart from investment returns is what is fun about retirement!

I don’t think it’s a competition, just reporting. Excitement/happiness apart from investment returns is what is fun about retirement!
Certainly didn't mean it any other way, just making a little joke about having one of the most widely held funds (around here anyway) be my big gainer, and acting like it's a secret.

35.0% portfolio return for 2019.

78/22 Stocks/Bonds overall.

We have a big chunk in Apple, which soared last year.

for comparison:
2017: 20.3%
2018: -7.9%

Last edited:
I just look at overall. For us property increase in value (homes and rental), gold, bank accounts, CDs, contracts, loans, stocks, funds,ETFs, bonds - everything - we are up 10.74% in net worth for the year. Pretty paltry compared to you all. OTOH, that increase is equal to about seven years of expenses for us (not figuring any inflation) and I'm 70 now, so I'm thinking we'll be ok.

I already reported my overall return on post#591, but did not tell about the performers that I have.

I have reduced the MF holdings over the years and hold more individual stocks and ETFs now, but at this point still have about 12% of portfolio in MFs. I have not looked at them until now. I spend more time watching my own stock picks, and hardly pay any attention to my MFs. Their returns are of course included in the portfolio when I use the total value reported by Quicken.

The star performer is JSVAX, which used to be named Janus Value Fund when I first bought it perhaps 30 years ago, and is now called Janus Contrarian. It returned more than 42% in 2019. Wow! So, I just looked up its top holdings.

Crown Holdings (CCK) 5.72%
TD Ameritrade (AMTD) 5.04%
L3Harris (LHX) 4.36%
GCI Liberty (GLIBA) 4.04%

CCK? I had that individual stock many years ago. It tanked badly in the early 2000s, and I dumped it. Forgot all about it, and thought it went bankrupt. No, it's alive and well. Wow. This fund is truly a contrarian fund.

The next higher up fund is also a Janus fund, JACTX, at almost 37%. This one holds a bunch of FAANG stocks. OK, nothing unusual here.

The bottom two funds are Wellesley and DDVAX. The latter is a value fund holding nearly all value dividend stocks, yet has returned about the same as Wellesley which has a big wad of bonds. Hmmm...

As mentioned, I spend more time watching my stocks and ETFs. The best of them returned more than 60%, with most being semiconductor stocks. The dunce-cap ones are industrial metal miners, and they returned -10%. The bulk of them returned about 20-25%.

And that's how I got my total number, after it got diluted out by cash which returned peanuts.

Last edited:
I already reported my overall return on post#591, but did not tell about the performers that I have.

I have reduced the MF holdings over the years and hold more individual stocks and ETFs now, but at this point still have about 12% of portfolio in MFs. I have not looked at them until now. I spend more time watching my own stock picks, and hardly pay any attention to my MFs. Their returns are of course included in the portfolio when I use the total value reported by Quicken.

The star performer is JSVAX, which used to be named Janus Value Fund when I first bought it perhaps 30 years ago, and is now called Janus Contrarian. It returned more than 42% in 2019. Wow! So, I just looked up its top holdings.

Crown Holdings (CCK) 5.72%
TD Ameritrade (AMTD) 5.04%
L3Harris (LHX) 4.36%
GCI Liberty (GLIBA) 4.04%

CCK? I had that individual stock many years ago. It tanked badly in the early 2000s, and I dumped it. Forgot all about it, and thought it went bankrupt. No, it's alive and well. Wow. This fund is truly a contrarian fund.

The next higher up fund is also a Janus fund, JACTX, at almost 37%. This one holds a bunch of FAANG stocks. OK, nothing unusual here.

The bottom two funds are Wellesley and DDVAX. The latter is a value fund holding nearly all value dividend stocks, yet has returned about the same as Wellesley which has a big wad of bonds. Hmmm...

As mentioned, I spend more time watching my stocks and ETFs. The best of them returned more than 60%, with most being semiconductor stocks. The dunce-cap ones are industrial metal miners, and they returned -10%. The bulk of them returned about 20-25%.

And that's how I got my total number, after it got diluted out by cash which returned peanuts.

CCK is a consumer packaging conglomerate. One of their box factories was walking distance from our neighborhood, so it rang a bell for me.

I haven't been able to figure out how to determine *actual* performance since we have continued to add to our positions during the year. I'm sure there's a spreadsheet out there somewhere...

So, as a proxy, I'm just going by RSP, Invesco's equal-weighted S&P 500 Index fund. We're 100% invested in that index, and it was up 26-27% and I'm happy with that.

35.0% portfolio return for 2019.

78/22 Stocks/Bonds overall.

We have a big chunk in Apple, which soared last year.

for comparison:
2017: 20.3%
2018: -7.9%
Yes Apple our biggest holding +99.6%
LULU is number 2 holding at +80.7
Also rans under +30%

It was my best year in gross dollars ever. That’s all that mattered to me. Somewhere around 20% overall. I was not heavy in the market the last few months. Mostly MFs and my winners were FOCPX and FFNOX.

Final tally - 23.86% counting all brokerage, retirement, savings and checking account totals. 24.1% on brokerage and retirement accounts only. We don't keep much in cash obviously.

I am 63

Total Vanguard Return - 18.5 %
Started the year at 50% Stocks & ending at 56%, due to increasing Market returns.

Bank Savings & CDs which are 5% of overall AA managed around 2+% return.

Probable a great year of Investment returns for me
Very close to ours, almost exactly, except we have EE and I bonds.

FIDO's numbers are in. My final number is 20%.

Just saw a headline on the Web proclaiming "2019 was Warren Buffett's worst year in a decade". 11% return in 2019, compared to the S&P of 31+%.

Hey, I have Berkshire Hathaway too. It used to be 5% of my porfolio, but was trimmed down to 2.5% in 2019. I have not paid much attention to it, just as I don't with my mutual funds.

Well, it's another position that held me back, else I would do even better than 27.62% that I had overall. It's OK. Its value will show when the market tumbles. I've got to have some contrarian stocks in the mix.

Last edited:
Just saw a headline on the Web proclaiming "2019 was Warren Buffett's worst year in a decade". 11% return in 2019, compared to the S&P of 31+%.

Hey, I have Berkshire Hathaway too. It used to be 5% of my porfolio, but was trimmed down to 2.5% in 2019. I have not paid much attention to it, just as I don't with my mutual funds.

Well, it's another position that held me back, else I would do even better than 27.62% that I had overall. It's OK. Its value will show when the market tumbles. I've got to have some contrarian stocks in the mix.
How about a link to the headline? It doesn't look at all true to me.

I find this at https://kunaldesai.blog/berkshire-hathaway-returns/

2011: -5%
2015: -12%
2018: 2%
2019: 12%

I hate to sell an underperforming position to see it goes up after I do that. Lots of time, in hindsight I have found that instead of selling something at a low, I should have bought instead.

Besides, I will keep BRK a while because I have worse positions to take care of first.

My Merrill Lynch stock pickers finished the year up 31% (AUM fee included)

Back
Top Bottom