Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Knock on wood, zip the lips. Keep the good ju-ju. I look at the numbers and smile to myself. Happy to be here in this moment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #542

I just did a pretty exhaustive calculation of the returns across all of our accounts, taxable, 401k, IRA and Roths, including cash and things like I-bonds.

The YTD return for everything is 22.7%

Heavy lifter was 401K, which is 55% in VANG RUS 1000 (22.26% return) and 45% in VAN IS S&P500 IDX (25.53% return). This one account is 57% of our net invested assets.

Amazingly poor performers (relatively) for being indexes were a Roth with Vanguard VSIAX (16.5% return) and VTIAX (15.28%)

Best performer was not my Robinhood trading account (112% return) but actually one of my Roth accounts with an impressive 119% return. Go figure.

But I am not going to complain at a overall 22.7% return YTD!

Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #543
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

15% YTD.... AA has migrated from 60/35/5 at beginning of year to 53/42/5 today as a result of redeeming equities to buy credit union CD specials averaging 3.33% in the second and third quarters... very happy with 15%.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #544

Oh, I am currently 73% stocks, 26% cash, 1% i-bonds

No CDs or any other type of bond.

This is really aggressive for being retired, but we are only 49 and 50.

If I sold all of our other assets (land, cars, etc.), we would be something more like 60% to 65% stocks and 35% to 40% cash.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #545
Give me a forum ...

I usually avoid posts to this thread other than end of month, but when I updated Quicken I noticed that I had crossed another six-figure hurdle.

YTD is 16%! Wow, what a year!

And note that Wow is a W-word but not the dreaded 4-letter W-word with an exclamation point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
15% YTD.... AA has migrated from 60/35/5 at beginning of year to 53/42/5 today as a result of redeeming equities to buy credit union CD specials averaging 3.33% in the second and third quarters... very happy with 15%.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #546
Give me a forum ...

Took a quick look Monday and retirement accounts are up 20% YTD!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #547

Quote:
I usually avoid posts to this thread other than end of month, but when I updated Quicken I noticed that I had crossed another six-figure hurdle.

YTD is 16%! Wow, what a year!

And note that Wow is a W-word but not the dreaded 4-letter W-word.

Congratulations!! I forget what day it actually happened, but I recently broke another six-figure hurdle as well. I'm hoping we can stay above that level today and Friday, so I can record it for posterity, as the final entry for this month in my spreadsheet.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #548

17.69 per MoneyChimp with a 50/50 AA The bond funds have helped carry the load this year. 2 intermediates vbtlx and vbilx along with vscsx as short term.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #549

Even my 40/60 401K is up 15.5% Wow... Overall, it's probably around 18% (Roughly 50/50). I only have 10% in international as for the equity, and more concentrated on domestic, and that might have worked in my favour this time around...

There were a few months a while back I didn't even want to check and I didn't, but I was looking forward to checking it tonight.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #550
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Oh, I am currently 73% stocks, 26% cash, 1% i-bonds

No CDs or any other type of bond.

This is really aggressive for being retired, but we are only 49 and 50.

If I sold all of our other assets (land, cars, etc.), we would be something more like 60% to 65% stocks and 35% to 40% cash.
I am 70/28/2 also early 50's. Torn on changing allocation, but will consider it next year. I have FA friends who are split 100% stocks (because bonds approaching more negative risks when interests come back up) to 50% stocks for us.
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:21 AM   #551
Recycles dryer sheets

23.4% XIRR 93% equities (with several million in assets outside of the markets).

Not a bad return for a lazy couch potato indexer.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #552
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
17.69 per MoneyChimp with a 50/50 AA The bond funds have helped carry the load this year. 2 intermediates vbtlx and vbilx along with vscsx as short term.
Yeah, while I'm still happy with my decision to buy 3.5% and 3.0% CDs earlier this year, I didn't get the pop in value from the cuts in interest rates... but at the same time, I won't get the pain when rates rise.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #553
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, while I'm still happy with my decision to buy 3.5% and 3.0% CDs earlier this year, I didn't get the pop in value from the cuts in interest rates... but at the same time, I won't get the pain when rates rise.
+1
Left bond funds last year, but also got some good CD deals, which will last 5 years. Then we will see.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #554

Quote:
True be it, I think your way is a good call also. Last year the same funds took a bit of a hit. Cds just seem like too much work, but you could convince me otherwise.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
Left bond funds last year, but also got some good CD deals, which will last 5 years. Then we will see.
I agree with your thinking, and I would not advise to jump into the bond funds now. I am buy and hold, so I ride the waves as they come. You will do as well or better over the long term.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
True be it, I think your way is a good call also. Last year the same funds took a bit of a hit. Cds just seem like too much work, but you could convince me otherwise.
Not sure about too much work, but there is some work/hassle involved, especially in my case since the CDs are all in tIRAs.

1. Join the credit union and make a small deposit to establish a share account (usually $5 and done all online or by phone).

2. Set up a tIRA account

3. Fund the tIRA account through a transfer from Vanguard (worst part and takes the longest IME).

4. Buy the CDs from the funds in the tIRA.

All told, 5-10 hours of effort depending on how smoothly step 3 goes. But for me, 3.5% to 3.0% for 5 years FDIC insured seems worth the effort.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #557

Quote:
Not sure about too much work, but there is some work/hassle involved, especially in my case since the CDs are all in tIRAs.

1. Join the credit union and make a small deposit to establish a share account (usually $5 and done all online or by phone).

2. Set up a tIRA account

3. Fund the tIRA account through a transfer from Vanguard (worst part and takes the longest IME).

4. Buy the CDs from the funds in the tIRA.

All told, 5-10 hours of effort depending on how smoothly step 3 goes. But for me, 3.5% to 3.0% for 5 years FDIC insured seems worth the effort.
No good to buy brokered CDs from Vanguard then?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #558
Recycles dryer sheets

Using the Personal Capital tool. Tells me I'm up 35.95%.

Have a significant holding in AAPL that I can't sell since I'm using the ACA Healthcare subsidy this year, along with some ITOT.

2020 will be the last year for ACA and the subsidy qualify limitation since we will be able to get back on FEHB for medical. Then we can start doing Roth conversions to reduce the potential RMD's in 8 years.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlguy57 View Post
Using the Personal Capital tool. Tells me I'm up 35.95%.

Have a significant holding in AAPL that I can't sell since I'm using the ACA Healthcare subsidy this year, along with some ITOT. This is last year for ACA and the subsidy qualify limitation.
Fortunately (or unfortunately) DH’s significant AAPL holding is in his SEP-IRA so he has been able to start trimming aggressively without tax concerns.

On the other hand, such a run up over 20 years means much larger RMDs in another 5 years.

They get you one way or another!

Gosh - you just have to wait until Jan then!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #560
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Fortunately (or unfortunately) DH’s significant AAPL holding is in his SEP-IRA so he has been able to start trimming aggressively without tax concerns.

On the other hand, such a run up over 20 years means much larger RMDs in another 5 years.

They get you one way or another!

Gosh - you just have to wait until Jan then!
Yes they do Audrey. I meant 2020 will be the last year for the subsidy as we will be able to get back on the Federal Health Care benefit. I just turned 62 so I have 8 years before the dreaded RMD's. Good on you for your husband having it in his tax sheltered account!

Still I'm grateful and in a much better position with AAPL and the taxes than I would have been without any shares starting in 2006.

stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote