2024 Investment Performance Thread

Looks like +5.05% YTD.

+4.95% YTD

46% Stock Indexes/41% Bond Indexes/13% Bitcoin

Last edited:
Up 17.2% for '23.

All stocks. This does not take into account rental property.

Based on YTD performance (17% of the way through the year), my annualized return rate is currently trending @ 158%. Market feels overheated, hoping for a run of the mill 5-10% correction soon to cool things off.

I added it up this morning...

1/31/2024: +0.78% YTD.
2/29/2024: +4.67% YTD.

A nice little jump, so far this year. Let's hope it keeps up!

Up 5.73 % 2024 YTD

98 % stock 2 % cash

My exposure to small caps ( IWM) has me lagging S and P a bit

NW is up ~2.5% (almost 1 year's expenses). March brings in PS & bonus, so nice bump soon.

Link to my December results: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/2023-investment-performance-thread-116550-26.html#post3032459

Preliminary January 2024 results:
January: -0.2%
YTD: -0.2%
YoY: +8.4%
Since 12/31/22:+10.7%
Since high [12/31/21]: -2.4%
Since 12/31/20: +9.1%
Since 12/31/19: +24.1%

I was "up" as of two days ago, but the end of month market dip has pushed this into negative territory.

Allocation is still around 42% equities, 52% bonds (mostly short term or inflation adjusted), 6% precious metals/other.

I use a pretty basic approach to calculations in terms of returns, not really adjusted for inflows or outflows. But, having just done some rough calculations of 2023 spend, I am not adding new funds for investment (if anything, spending more than income).

February underperformance continues. Hurt due to overweight in Apple and to a certain degree "outflows" from savings (I don't differentiate between investment accounts and overall. Now that I am retired, I am definitely spending more $ than what is coming in, eventually that situation should rectify itself when I get social security...whenever I decide to do that.)

Preliminary February 2024 results:
January: -0.2%
February: +0.7%
YTD: +0.5%
YoY: +8.7%
Since 12/31/22:+11.5%
Since high [12/31/21]: -1.6%
Since 12/31/20: +9.9%
Since 12/31/19: +25.0%

Up 9.52% overall for the year as we end February.

3.9% YTD.

(respectfully, what the heck are you invested in to get 9.52% over two months? And how do you do in downdrafts?)

Last edited:
2.11% YTD. AA 50/50 - the fixed income is dragging a bit compared to Jan 1 but I expect that to be a short term thing.

3.9% YTD.

(respectfully, what the heck are you invested in to get 9.52% over two months? And how do you do in downdrafts?)

Well first I am not retired yet so I am not drawing from any accounts so nothing is going down unless the market goes down.

My fidelity 401K is mostly in two funds Contrafund and Dodge and Cox. I am up 10.66% there. Contra is up by itself 24% YTD and I would say I am 70% in that fund. It out performs the S&P significantly. Feel free to look it up.

I have another account with Stifel Financial that is up 8.62% and is invested in various stocks.

Last edited:
Those who have CD ladders, are you incorporating expected or partial interest from those CDs into these return YTD calculations?

Well first I am not retired yet so I am not drawing from any accounts so nothing is going down unless the market goes down.

My fidelity 401K is mostly in two funds Contrafund and Dodge and Cox. I am up 10.66% there. Contra is up by itself 24% YTD and I would say I am 70% in that fund. It out performs the S&P significantly. Feel free to look it up.

Thanks. I put my brother into Contra way back when Jeff Vinik was running it.

3.9% YTD.

I'm more curious of those that are bond heavy yet are up over 4 % for the year!

YTD 2024 +6.10%

1/1/2022 TD +7.14%

16% Series I Savings Bonds that include current interest
13.6% T-Bills that does not include the interest that will be paid on maturity
7% MM funds that includes current interest

Those who have CD ladders, are you incorporating expected or partial interest from those CDs into these return YTD calculations?

Interesting question!
For myself, I am including T-Bill's and CD's marked to market. For CD's I am not including accrued but not yet distributed interest. I capture the interest at maturity (and with a ladder of a lot of instruments that has been happening regularly).

Given your question, I took a quick look at this on my account (fidelity) that has the vast majority of CD's...and found that it is more significant than I would have guessed. Fidelity is kind enough to list "accrued interest" which using my barely awake brain would add 0.9% to my investment return on that account!

I've hit a new all time high portfolio value since 2+ years ago, in spite of having withdrawn over six figures since then for spending.

I'm more curious of those that are bond heavy yet are up over 4 % for the year!

We're 55% bond ladder and that interest dropping into the settlement account. We're repurchasing new ones when they mature. Overall portfolio YTD + 4.2%. The one-year bond ladder is + 6.2%. I started it in early 2022. The tIRA are CDs and treasuries 1 yr, 3yr, 5yr, and 10 yr.

Back
Top Bottom