2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

I am neither contributing to nor drawing from my portfolio, so I just take balance today ÷ balance at COB December 31, 2018.

FIDO says 4.4% increase as of April 1.
12 month increase of 9.2% to gain perspective.
I have set aside SS bridge to 67 in a MM and short Term Treasury account (Treasuries bought only after Fed stopped tightening).
The remaining 401k balance is MM and short Treasuries at 50% and the other 50% in NextEra for use in capturing capital gains tax benefits. (I know, juggling hand grenades)
Cash Balance Pension
Interest on balance chugging along at 4% - better than bonds

I have had enough and mentally made up my mind to retire in August.

8.67% on 54/46 allocation(drifted from 50/50) as of Fridays close. Set to re-balance with new contributions in June. My index is at 8.65 (TR2020)

8.67% on 54/46 allocation(drifted from 50/50) as of Fridays close. Set to re-balance with new contributions in June. My index is at 8.65 (TR2020)

Vanguard.com reports that Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 VTWNX has a YTD performance of 8.87% as of Friday's close.

LOL!

That’s what I did, but I had to wait until morning of 4/2 to download the rest of the March distributions into Qucken.
I use Slowen to find my distributed pennies!
:D
Slowly I log in, and see new pennies in sweep accounts.

When I'm in a hurry, I open a google sheet that has two brokerages, and I can see a rough estimate of gain, projected dividends for the year, and so on.

What this suggests, at least to me, is that I have a room of pennies, it looks like enough, but I can't compare results to others in a way the board CPAs would like. I would like to do that, but have many other activities in a backlog...

Vanguard.com reports that Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 VTWNX has a YTD performance of 8.87% as of Friday's close.

I use VTWNX with a cash account that drags down the YTD to 8.65 to match
the allocation of my portfolio. It mirrors my allocation better. Set up on Morningstar as 2 portfolios.

^That makes sense.

I use VTWNX with a cash account that drags down the YTD to 8.65 to match

the allocation of my portfolio. It mirrors my allocation better. Set up on Morningstar as 2 portfolios.

I trusted your number as reported. It’s an informal thread in which people post their personal performance numbers as a best effort to share with others.

I use Slowen to find my distributed pennies!
:D
Slowly I log in, and see new pennies in sweep accounts.

When I'm in a hurry, I open a google sheet that has two brokerages, and I can see a rough estimate of gain, projected dividends for the year, and so on.

What this suggests, at least to me, is that I have a room of pennies, it looks like enough, but I can't compare results to others in a way the board CPAs would like. I would like to do that, but have many other activities in a backlog...

It wasn’t Quicken’s fault. It takes Fidelity an extra day to report distributions from non-Fidelity funds, so they aren’t downloadable until the next day.

Up 13.8% as of 4-1-19

Up 6.8% for the 1st quarter, approximately 40/38/22 AA. Happy with continuing to hit singles. :)

You double digit folks are nailing it. Lol I hope it continues.

I thought I nailed it in Jan 2018.

Unfortunately, my nail did not have holding power, and it came loose in Dec 2018.

I thought I nailed it in Jan 2018.

Unfortunately, my nail did not have holding power, and it came loose in Dec 2018.

LOL...yeah, I think I used drywall screws where I should have used an 8 or 10 penny nail! :p

FWIW though, as of last night, I have a 14.93% return YTD. And, if I can get about another 0.5%, I'll be back to where I was at the end of September 2018, and, in my mind at least, "made whole" again.

And if this doesn't hold, maybe instead of nailing it, I'll have to screw it! :D

I have been telling y'all, I am busy selling covered calls to get more cash under my belt.

Some people here think I am trying to "get rich" with these options, but not pushing my luck is what I am doing.

^ Lol!

You double digit folks are nailing it. Lol I hope it continues.
Anybody with a moderate allocation to equities should have YTD performance in the double digits without using any nails nor even a hammer. :)

I just plugged that into my retirement spreadsheet as an annualized return and I think I can retire now. How easy is this? :dance:
Yes as dtail guessed, I've been trading options on $SPX for almost 10 years and I used Options backtesting software to test 1000's of ideas until I found one that kills it when the market goes up or sideways and has detected every crash since 2008 (using implied volatility analysis) and I sell volatility when things get extreme. So in 2008 it was up 137% (not me - I wasn't trading options back then) and I proved it in real time in Dec 18 when I made 1.8% and the S&P was down 9%(have brokerage statements to prove all this). I took a lot of lumps over the years (especially the flash crashes in 2010 and 2018) but those experiences helped me find a way to detect when they will possibly happen and take risk off the table. It's great for retirement investing bec it only takes about 15 minutes a week to manage and it averages about 50% annually (I don't expect my returns to be this hot all year) so you dont need to risk a lot of money in the strategy to make a massive difference in your retirement goals. Hence my name, rapidly retire. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom