Join Early Retirement Today

4.75% rate - 30 year fixed
Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

4.75% rate - 30 year fixed

Just locked in a 4.75% intrest rate on our refi mortgage with a 1% origination fee through Wells Fargo. Our current mortgage rate is 5.875 and I calculate that it will take us one year to recoup the closing costs in the amount we save with new payment. Not bad huh? Thoughts/comments?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good deal for you. Just as we now think it's only barely believable that banks offered 15% CDs in 1981, in a few years we'll look back and think it amazing that it was possible to lock in a 30 yr mortgage at less than 5%.
"Why didn't I do that then!"

Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems like a pretty good rate, are you paying any points in addition to the origination fee to get the 4.75% rate?

I closed end of January on a 20 year fixed with PenFed at 4.75% paying 0.375 points with no origination fee, I was happy with the deal and the service. This was to refi my Wells Fargo mortgage
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Watch the closing costs, mine were about $1500 on a $137k refi, not including the points paid.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My mortgage is already with Wells Fargo. I called earlier this year about refinancing but the option I was interested in would not have lowered my interest rate enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe it's time for another phone call. I'm paying over 6% now.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Seems like a pretty good rate, are you paying any points in addition to the origination fee to get the 4.75% rate?
No, no other points paid.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Watch the closing costs, mine were about $1500 on a $137k refi, not including the points paid.
Total closing costs including 1% loan origination on 180K loan = 3700.00
Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I locked with Wells at that same rate, but the approval is taking longer than expected and still not done. They recently asked for my company tax return, which I thought was stupid and told them so, then gave it to them because I need the loan. Swallow pride. Get loan.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I locked with Wells at that same rate, but the approval is taking longer than expected and still not done. They recently asked for my company tax return, which I thought was stupid and told them so, then gave it to them because I need the loan. Swallow pride. Get loan.
They told me refi's are taking about 60 days and they gaurantee the rate for 90 days.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Well then, I guess there is still hope for our refi with Wells Fargo. We are a little shy of 60 days. We applied around Christmas. Mortgage broker keeps apologizing for the long delay but doesn't give us any probable time table.