401K and 72t

tomz

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been searching the archives, but haven't found an answer to my question, which is this:

Thanks to this fourm, I know if you want to withdraw funds from an IRA before 59 1/2 without penalty, you have to follow the 72t rules.

However, if you withdraw funds from a 401K after you retire from the company sponsoring the 401K and are over 55 but less than 59 1/2, do the 72t rules apply or can you do penalty-free withdrawals in the same way you would if you were 59 1/2?

Thanks in advance.

TomZ

AFAIK, you can pull money penalty free out of a 401k as long as you are over 55.

brewer12345 said:
AFAIK, you can pull money penalty free out of a 401k as long as you are over 55.

I think there is also a stipulation that you had to quit work in the place where you had your 401K during the year you turned 55.

Thanks for the replies.  I called JP Morgan, who manages my 401K.  The customer service kid who answered said I could withdraw without penalty before 59 1/2 and it would be just like a regular withdrawal not a 72t.  I will be working at the company sponsoring the 401K when I hit 55.  He also told me that I should check with a tax advisor because there could be other circumstances where I would have to pay the penalty.  He said that 3 times.  I guess they have to be careful about how people interpret their answers to questions.   :eek:

It's after separation from service, in or after the year you reach 55. IRS Pub 575 lays it out.

Coach

so can you withdraw from company sponsored 401K before you are 55 following 72t rules?

Coach said:
It's after separation from service, in or after the year you reach 55. IRS Pub 575 lays it out.

Coach

Thanks.  I checked out Pub 575 and it lays things out in fairly understandable terms.

Back
Top Bottom